Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #1  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Does Anyone Have Experience with Stevia?

I'm going to have to give up Splenda for a while and my Doctor doesn't want me to use Equal either. I believe I may have an allergy to these substitutes.

Does anyone have good information they can share with me about Stevia? I know nothing about it, except that it is a natural sweetener substitute. I'm not even sure where I can purchase it or how it can be used.

I'm thinking my first stop with be GNC (General Nutrition Center health store). Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:12 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I have used it in the past. You have to be careful because it's sweeter and it doesn't take as much.

They have it in liquid form or in little packets. I have ordered it online and also purchased it at Whole Foods. I think I even saw it at the grocery store one time (over in the health foods section) but can't be totally sure.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #3  

Personally, I don't like Stevia. I like xylitol better.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

I've read that it can have a licorice taste which I would hate. I guess I'll go off splenda for equal for the time being.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #5  

I haven't experienced the licorice taste. I used it quite a bit during my initial weight loss and thought it gave good results. I never baked with it, just used it on oatmeal and tea and things like that.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

Did you use the liquid or the powder. Some reports I've read say the liquid is less bitter. I haven't tried to shop for it yet. I'm making my corncakes tonight and using splenda. I'll probably be sorry but I'm afraid the equal will get bitter when I fry the cakes.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #7  

I had the powder. Mine came from sweetleaf.com but I don't think they're in business anymore.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

I'm a fan of SteviaPlus - it's way sweeter than many other fake sugars and using too much can leave a bitter aftertaste. FYI Sweetleaf.com is still in business - they have recipe ideas at their website, too.
Closed Thread