Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:41 PM   #1  

Default Is this mean of me to do this?

I have been struggling with office candy and now I just found out that I am not the only one that has problems with candy bowl now! anyway lately every night when people go home for the evening, I am usually the last one to leave at 5 p.m. I dump the candy bowl full of candy in the trash!

Seriously, office food has gotten out of hand. The candy bowl is filled on daily basis (I do wonder how they can afford to buy candy everyday as it does add up), potlucks every month, donuts, etc. I had THREE Krispy Kremes donuts last Friday. I did not feel that great.

I know that some people say you can eat some treats in moderation. But seriously, for some people can't have that in moderation because one bite often leads to more bites, then either binging OR making bad choices for the rest of day!
I happen to be one of them!
thinbefore40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #2  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

I think you should have a brief office meeting (with the boss there) and discuss this I know the temptation to dump the bad stuff is strong - and you have succumbed - but:

1) your coworkers spent their hard-earned pay on that candy (or did management pay for it?). It's not really right to throw it in the trash. Even if it's company-sponsored, it's better to vote to have it removed rather than throw it out in secret.

2) they might think "Wow! The candy is REALLY popular!" and buy tons MORE!

Some (unasked for) advice for you
* Bring healthy snacks - protein especially - to ward off the muchies that lead you to Sugar Temptation.
* Don't have that dreaded first bite.

P.s. Potlucks EVERY MONTH?! That's a lot of office cooking! Has it always been this way there? Do people like doing that? (I'd get aggravated but that's me...)
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

I agree with berkshiregirl. A meeting to get it out in the honest open would be a good idea. Perhaps you could even recommend a substitute. If it's really important to the company to offer something to eat, perhaps they could put out nuts, fruit, or pretzles. Maybe you could recommend something that won't tempt you, and really talk it up. :-)
marny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #4  

Marny,

Great idea for a healthy "candy bowl"! Yeah! My company used to buy fruit sometimes but they pooped out on that... it was very nice... *sigh* heheh!

But if they put out nuts... especially cashews... oh God... I would have to stay far, far away from that location
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 PM   #5  

I have tried that before to no avail.

You will understand more when you read my blog ... on this topic where i posted on Weight watchers msg board and one of my co workers saw my post and added it.

I even sent her article and she said that wasn't what the study was about too.

Heres the link to my blog..

Last edited by thinbefore40; 03-14-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #6  

It's the management that pays for it!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #7  

I mean, the supervisors pay for it out of their own pockets and give to us co workers! not the company expense.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:50 PM   #8  

I have even tried changing the candy bowl to opaque but latelythey keep putting back the clear candy bowl out! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRR
Old 03-14-2006, 12:05 AM   #9  

Whoa... lots of candy drama in that blog link!

Well, judging from the saga going on, I would say you are going to be faced with a candy bowl close to you at this job. Period. There is a corporate atmosphere that encourages it, expects it, and gets very antagonistic if it is talked about. (Bizaaaaaare!)

So. Your recourse is one of these:

1) Keep your blood sugar high throughout the day by eating healthy snacks. Like I said above, protein = good! Carbs will kill your blood sugar, and you are going to be on the prowl to rise it through any means possible. Enter... (scary music)... The CANDY BOWL.

2) Get very determined and mad that you will beat this addiction to sugar (my very good friend suffers from this, and the yeast infections too... I worry about her getting diabetes!) Think to yourself - I will show them! Grrrrr argh!

3) Find another job No guarantees though it will be candy-free.

A couple other notes:

Yes, those women went over the line (IMO) with posting to the boards in response to you. They just fanned flames that didn't need to be. Another tip - stop posting on the WW Boards that they read, or post under a new alias and disguise your office details/work day.

*My advice to you: DO NOT pursue this issue any further with them. They are not sympathetic, they won't become sympathic, and your supervisor seems irritated by the whole thing.

Dumping the candy won't get rid of it permanently - it's like standing in the ocean to block a wave - and I fear it will soon get you in deep doo-doo with corporate. (Gee, the candy is gone every morning even though when I left, it was nearly full! Hmmmm.... Why would that be... who stays later... who has complained about the candy.....) You see my point

Your best course of action is Self-Directed. Consider yourself in Hostile Enemy Territory

I am also in therapy for bulima and alcohol abuse, so if I may suggest also, are you on anti-depressants? In addition to the talk therapy, they might do you a world of good.

Bingeing and sugar addiction can really be a form of self-medication to treat mood disorders, like depression. Drugs may be the better solution... Look into it if it may help you!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by BerkshireGrl; 03-14-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 AM   #10  

Thank you so much! I will stop dumping them ...

I have removed the link to my blog but if you want the link to my blog please email me and i will send u the link ... for my safety reason. I don't post on WW message boards much anymore as I found this board and Soulcysters!

I dont know if co workers knows about this board and I have not told them ...

Thanks for ur support..

no I am not on anti depressants ...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I would have no problems dumping it!!! You have to do what works for you...don't be worried how strange or wasteful it is. It's better in the trash than on your hips!!
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:38 PM   #12  

Doing what works for you cannot impinge on others rights. People are allowed to have a bowl of candy. You are actually stealing when you dump it. Glad to hear you are stopping that.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 120

One way that you may be able to resist the temptaion to eat candy is buy a lunch pack and fill it with sugar free jello(up to 3) , grapes, strawberries, a low fat cinnaimon graham cracker, diet soda, any tasty protein bars.
snoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #14  

Talking

Ha! I did something similar. Recently I through all the junk food in my house outside and watched the racoons eat it .
inter_stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/125/135

Height: 5'2"

That's great! I wonder if the ground squirrels around here would eat ours?
marny is offline   Reply With Quote