Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-13-2006, 02:49 PM   #1  

Default Yams, Sweet potatoes, White Sweet Potatoes???

Does anyone know if there is a difference (calorie / nutrition wise) between yams, sweet potatoes, or white sweet potatoes? My store carries all 3 varieties. I usually get the yams because they are the cheapest. The sweet potatoes (or red sweet potatoes they sometimes call them) look like the yams, and the white ones have a white skin, but I imagine they are orange on the inside.

Also any difference in flavor? Is one particular kind better suited for making crispy " french fry" type version?

Thanks much
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:02 PM   #2  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

The ones with the orange flesh which we call "yams" are actually a variety of sweet potato. There are two main types of sweet potatoes, the orange kind and the ones with lighter yellow flesh. True yams are a totally different species, mostly found in Asia and South America. Confusing, isn't it? Here is some info: http://homecooking.about.com/library...y/aa112497.htm

1 cup of cubes (176g) of sweet potatoes (yellow or orange flesh) have 176 calories. 1 cup of cubes (136g) of yams (South American kind) have 158 calories.

I like to make oven fries by cutting up sweet potatoes (orange flesh) into "fries" (including the skin which is very nutritious). Drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast at 350 deg. for about 1/2 hour or until done.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #3  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I enjoy sweet potatoes (I get the orange kind) baked with a little bit of light sour cream. I've actually come to prefer sweet potatoes over white potatoes in most things, like the corn chowder I make.

I did a bit of research a while ago, I recall sweet potatoes to be better than white for nutritional value.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:59 PM   #4  
Im SERIOUS this time!!!

S/C/G: 235/207/160

Height: 5'3

I believe sweet potatoes and yams are suppose to be healthier and lower in fat. And they taste better too. I like mine baked then Ill add a little bit of butter sprinkle some cinnamon and I have my sweet dessert.
GetSerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Can I throw something else into the mix? Kumara. I found them in an aussie recipe book, looked them up on the internet and thought they were sweet potatoes... then I went to a new supermarket and they stocked both "normal" sweet potatoes and kumara, so I wasn't sure what the difference was! They were right next to each other so I guess they're a kind of sweet potato, I'm just not sure what kind
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Now to confuse you more...

I read somewhere that yams and sweet potatoes, although look and taste similar, are quite different, even from a different family! Yams are supposed to have higher nutritional value than sweet potatoes. For that reason, I choose yams when given the choice.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote