Old 03-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #1  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Default Shouldn't I be excited?

I've been gradually going through my old smaller-sized clothes that I brought with me, but I've pretty much run out of them now so I need to go clothes shopping for the first time.

TBH, I'm really worried and not at all looking forward to it. I don't know where to go, or what to expect....
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

Shopping is hard to do even when you know you are in a smaller size. I really thought when I shopped last time that I was ready for a smaller size, and I was, but when they didn't fit quite as well as I was hoping for, it was a bit of a downer. Still, that time is coming so YES you should be excited. It is always fun to find that you've made progress.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:32 PM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Shopping for smaller sizes is so much fun! I never realised there was so much choice out there though, it can be quite daunting when you have a much wider selection of places to go to. You deserve a good shopping trip!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #4  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

Congrats on your shopping trip! ya know, despite my glee as you can see from my thread about shopping this past weekend, the first time i went shopping after some weight loss i didn't fit into what i thought i would, and i was kinda bummed. I was still kinda bummed from that when i walked into the store this last time, but I got vindication when I fit into smaller clothes for real!

Have fun on your shopping trip!!!!!!
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #5  

You either love shopping or you don't. I for one, adore it, and I love trying on new things, even things that don't quite fit.........yet!

Just take it easy, if you're not a natural shopper, just set yourself a little achievable goal, to come home with a pair of jeans, a top and a jacket, perhaps.

You really deserve it, like everyone has said, and I do hope it's not an ordeal for you!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:32 PM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

DishyFishy,

I hate to shop, always have at any size. I find it really helps to go with someone who loves to shop, especially for clothes. Their enthusiasm and fashion sense can get you through a lot.

Denise
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #7  

SO exciting!!! Enjoy it! This is really great!!!
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

I agree w/ YP1 -- the fact that choices are more abundant in smaller sizes is enough to keep me looking forward to needing "smaller" clothes -- even if they're "only" size 18s! My problem right now is that everything seems either too "old-ladyish" or way, way, way too young. We 40-somethings (who don't want to look like 20-somethings) seem to be a forgotten group when it comes to fashion these days.
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:45 PM   #9  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Some people just don't like shopping. I hope you find some items that you love, nonetheless. Try on, admire your new body in new clothes. And try to have fun with it!
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I love to shop.. and work in retail, so it's easy for me to get excited to shop. My first advice? Find a store that carries clothes you like, and ASK FOR HELP! I personally LOVE helping women find new clothes when they've lost weight, gained weight.. anything.. I want people to feel comfortable, look sophisticated and feel fabulous! I work for Cotton Ginny and can definitely recommend their products.. I noticed you live in Canada as well.. what city? What are your options? I know most stores really well (I used to work for the Reitmans Corp which includes SO many stores)... let me know if I can some how help! I know clothes pretty well..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm also just needing to shop for the first time on this journey, but I'm finding it kind of depressing to go shopping right now. I've dropped 70 pounds and fit in about a size 20 right now, so still can't shope in most stores. I hope you have better luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #12  
Made in England!

Thanks for the encouragement! I've never liked shopping for clothes. Apart from anything, I struggle with having to try on items that other people may have tried on first. It's an irrational OCD germ thing I have going on.

Anyway, I ventured out to the mall yesterday, and returned with... 3 pairs of knickers! Hardly what I was aiming for, but hey, it's a start, right? And they actually fit!

I really didn't have the bottle to go into any of the smaller stores (and let's face it, I'm only just out of plus sizes so I'm still right at the top end of their ranges anyway), but just wandering around Sears was overwhelming. How many different styles of jeans are there!?! Can you tell that I'm no fashion victim! I just didn't know where to start, so I stopped.

I'd love to have someone with me, Denise, but I don't know anyone here apart from SIL, and that's definitely not an option.

Please... come and sort me out, Aimee! I'm in Edmonton, so maybe it's a little far away.... I've just looked at the web site for Cotton Ginny, and there's one fairly close to where I have to go tomorrow so I'll pop in if I'm feeling brave enough.

Thanks for all the help. Sorry for being such a divvy.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #13  
Downsizing Dee!

Yay Ali! Congrats on having to go shopping!

I do know what you mean. I was a little fearful the first time I had to go out and replenish some of my wardrobe but I can assure you that you'll grow to like it. It's so much fun trying on different styles just because you like how it looks and not just because you know it's something that will fit you or hide some body part you really didn't want anyone to notice.

I'd definately give Reitman's a try. Their clothes fit really nicely and is very reasonably priced. Cotton Ginny definately has some nice things as well but I find it to be very casual and a little pricey, especially if you're looking for some transition pieces.

Let us know how it goes!

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #14  
Made in England!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiedarling
I'd definately give Reitman's a try. Their clothes fit really nicely and is very reasonably priced. Cotton Ginny definately has some nice things as well but I find it to be very casual and a little pricey, especially if you're looking for some transition pieces.
Aimee suggested Reitman's too. I'll check them out as well.

And, yes, whatever I get will definitely be short-term wears. I ain't finished yet!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #15  
Downsizing Dee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DishyFishy
Aimee suggested Reitman's too. I'll check them out as well.
Sorry, I missed that one

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote