Old 03-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #1  

Default Work and weight loss

My workplace is driving me nuts . Most people, well in fact everyone, knows I have lost weight - it is kinda obvious now!!! Which is great!

But, I can't do anything without big brother watching me. Yesterday was a prime example. As I have mentioned in my "screaming heap" thread, I have had a week off. So yesterday I went to get a piece of traybake someone had made, when this (very large) lady screamed "stop you can't eat that!"

For the love of soup, I can eat whatever I want My first rule when I started this was that there were was nothing I couldn't eat. There were helpful foods and unhelpful foods. So if occasionally I want an unhelpful food, I'll have it!!!

And now, two girls in my team are on a weight loss plan, one is on WW the other on an English plan called Slimming World. They are both slimmer than I am now, one is at goal but wants to be lower, the other definitely needs to lose some weight. But they are very competitive and almost critical of the way I do anything.

I feel like I am apologising for the way I eat. For goodness sake, the level I exercise, I have to EAT!!! I'm not gonna drive myself crazy by avoiding healthy foods that may be higher in carbs than something else. Argh!!!

No wonder I'm a mess this week.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:11 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I know what you mean, I constantly get people quizzing me about what I eat as if to imply I can't possibly eat so much and lose weight. I try to point out that they don't run or work out every day and that if they ate what I do yes, they'd gain, but it never seems to get through to them. Still, I suppose there comes a point where they have to accept that the results speak for themselves and that you clearly know what you're doing!

It really winds me up when people are on faddy diets (particularly when they don't need to lose) and expect to get sympathy from me because they can't eat certain foods. I want to shake them and tell them it's all about getting a healthy balance and that if they really want to eat a bit of chocolate just do it, in moderation, and make sure they make up for it in other ways!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Not quite the same thing, but I take a meal off plan once a week. Since I'm still a large size, I can get that critical vibe that I shouldn't be ordering a dessert, or this or that. It drives me a little batty, considering I'm eating yams and veggies and going to the gym all week long! Boy, some people need to get a life, heh heh. (It's in restaurant situations where people don't know I've lost any weight.)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #4  

I know exactly what you mean!!!! There is this one lady at work...I call her the weight watcher natzi behind her back. One night I allowed myself a few extra points so I cound have one of those snack sized snicker bars...I got it out of the basket and she looks at me and says "do you really think you should have that on WW". Errrrrrrrrr...and the worst part of it all is the fact that this lady is not small herself and eats all night long every night...it's so frustrating.
hugs,
Liv
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Don't try to justify it. Don't get defensive. Just smile nicely and say "Thank you for your concern." And go ahead and eat whatever it is, and enjoy it thoroughly. If you really want to "answer" them, just add "My plan is flexible enough to include this." No need to go into details if you don't want to.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I like synger's plan.

I would ask the 2 competitive girls if they are exercising, ESPECIALLY the one who does not need to lose weight. The number one thing I notice w/the women in my office (and this is ANY office I've worked in the last 4 years) who are on WW, is this: none of them exercise!!! They think they are going to lose through points alone, and even though I've never done weight watchers, I know that doesn't work. For anyone!

Don't let anyone else's jealousy steer you off plan!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

That really stinks. Don't let their negativity mess you up, though. I've got the exact opposite problem. My co-workers are always wanting to go out to eat. And, of course, the places where they want to go don't offer much in the way of healthy food. It's either Mexican (where the only salad on the menu is topped with fried chicken -and getting it with grilled chicken isn't an option) or the diner down the street (where they probably even fry the lettuce in the salads!). I'd much rather just eat my tasty and healthy leftovers from the night before!!
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #8  

Neither of them exercise. Ever. That's why they have to be so restrictive with the food. They won't bring me undone, but they're just annoying!!! Really annoying!!! And it won't last, they'll put their weight back on, because they're "dieting" they haven't made permanent lifestyle changes, their diets have a beginning, middle and end, unlike mine, which I have now adopted for the rest of my life.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #9  

I have tried a million different things to avoid this situation with no success. So...the only thing I can do that works is politlely tell them to mind their business. THEY HAVE YET TO SAY ANYTHING AFTER.
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't remember ever receiving that type of criticism when I was losing weight but it might be because I've worked around men mostly. I would get a few women asking me how I was losing weight and I'd tell them the truth, diet and exercise. I would tell whoever bothers you that you are aware of your choices and it is part of an overall lifetime eating plan.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Oh all these nice people and their very good advice. Here are my snarky suggestions:

"Umm, I don't remember asking you."
"Are you my mother?"
"No, no, no, I think you're mistaken - YOU can't eat any of this."
"Hey, I don't think I lost 63 pounds listening to your advice."
"I'll let you know when I need your opinion."
"Your objection has been noted."
"Wow, good thing you saved me from that. Oh wait, you didn't."
"Help! Help! I'm being harrassed."
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #12  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Heh I love it, Jessica! Those are the kinds of things I'd love to say (but probably wouldn't).

I can't remember ever having been in the situation but I can imagine it's quite uncomfortable. I'd imagine it would catch you off-guard and then put you right on the defensive. Not a nice feeling.

Given that we have time to think about it here, I'd like to think I might play it cool.
She (alarmed): No, no, no! You can't eat that!!!

Me (sweet and innocent): Why? Is something wrong with it?
That would force her to reveal her true motive in giving me the caution. If she was truly concerned for my health and well-being, I'd thank her for her concern and reassure her I know what I'm doing. OTOH, if she's just being a busy-body (or worse, a holier-than-thou), I think one of Jessica's comebacks would be ideal!

Knowing me, though, I'd probably just say, "arrgh, you're right", put the treat down and slink off, feeling both deprived and humiliated. Then, I'd spend the rest of the day kicking myself for not standing up for myself.

((sigh))
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #13  

That suks. The same thing used to happen in my family whenever I was around one of them, not really at work though. Now, if we have a family dinner all together on Friday for eg., they make enough for everyone, including me, but don't push one way or the other, what I eat is my thing. Thank goodness.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 AM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Jessica - Those are great!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica
Oh all these nice people and their very good advice. Here are my snarky suggestions:
Oh, sweetie. You know me. My first response to this is not only un-post-able here, it's also anatomically impossible.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote