Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 09:50 AM   #1  

Default Everyday Exercisers ~ Thursday 7/26

Welcome to Everyday Exercisers -- a daily thread that focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goals are to stay active, stay hydrated, and make healthy eating choices. We share our exercise plans for the week, and check in each day to share our progress...and our set-backs. Here you'll find a supportive and encouraging environment in which to pursue your fitness goals, and a community of people who share your commitment to fitness and provide motivation and inspiration to each other. Welcome!

Old 07-26-2001, 10:16 AM   #2  

Finally it's Thursday!!

Winterstar: Don't feel bad! An upper body weights workout + a 30 minute walk is a good workout!
Like you, I've also often found that my "eyes" are bigger than my stamina, as it were. It is hard to strike a good balance between a program that you'll never end up doing and one that's too easy -- trying to find one that's still challenging, but managable. I'm sure you'll soon find your own groove!

Stamper: The best laid plans of mice and men! I'm sorry you couldn't swim -- but you did still do legs + abs, and some yoga! Not a bad day! And it sounds like you did a lot of swimming yesterday -- I wish I could play volleyball in the pool!

Dena: Sounds like you had a great workout! I hear ya about the plateau -- I've been on one FOREVER. I had a brief dip last week + thought I'd finally broken it (since I haven't seen the scale move for MONTHS), but now I'm not so sure. I'll have to weigh in tomorrow and see how it goes. More frustrating is the fact that though I feel stronger, and I can see my muscles trying to peek out, I haven't seen a change in inches for a few months either. <sigh>. Right now I'm just trying to stay focused on my gains in strength + cardiovascular endurance, and not let the plateau get to me. It can be hard though!

my update:
Weights day today -- progress report:
I've moved up to 45lbs on the pec fly, but stayed at 3 sets @ 30lbs for the chest press, and dropped the overhead press to 15lbs, since I was just NOT making it through both sets.
Upped the lat row to 70lbs, basic lat pulldown (not to the side) is the same, but I reduced to 2 sets, since I'm often pressed for time and am getting in some other exercises that also work the lats (like the row). At 30lbs on the lateral delt lift -- I HATE delt work!
Hip adduction and abduction are up to 3 sets @ 65lbs, but I cannot make the move up from 50lbs on the seated leg curl or quadriceps extension! Grr! Glute kick stays at 50lbs, but I think I can up that in a week or 2. Seated leg press, I'm up to 3 sets @ 115lbs, where I think I'll stay for a couple weeks.
Still struggling with biceps and triceps -- I think I'll be on 25 and 30lbs forever! Pah!
And there's my progress report!

Hope everyone's having a good morning!
Old 07-26-2001, 10:47 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hey! You guys are all doing great, and so am I!! We rock!

I got up again this morning, and made it to the pool, where I even increased my intensity, so I feel great! I won't be able to get to Curves tonight because I have to get to the city right after work, but that's ok.... tomorrow will be both swimming and Curves, and then off to a pub night with my coworkers! I promise to be a good girl! Okay, maybe not too much!

I was thinking, we should do a question of the day for this thread.... hmmm... should it be exercise related, or just something from life.....? Ok, what's your favorite thing about summer? Mine is fruit! I have been on fruit overload the past week or so! I love it... apricots and bananas for breakfast, watermelon for snack, fresh fruit salad at dinner... yum! I could eat nothing but fruit for almost the whole summer long!

Ok, so I'll talk more later!
Old 07-26-2001, 11:15 AM   #4  

Marvin: My favorite thing about summer is 1. not working because I'm a teacher 2. swimming with family and friends, and 3. fireflies. It always feels official that summer is here when I see the first fireflies of the season.

My update: I'm cutting back on the exercise a bit to see if it helps me get out of the plateau. So, Wednesday night I did 45 minutes of kickboxing and today I plan to go to kickboxing class again (60 minutes).

Otherwise, I'm just packing and getting ready for out 10 hour drive to Hilton Head on Saturday.

Have a good day.
Saggy
Old 07-26-2001, 04:20 PM   #5  

Wow, I've been running around all day trying to get organized for my birthday trip starting tomorrow through Sunday. Does all this running around count as exercise?

Yesterday I ended up doing 1 1/2 hours on the stationary bike and took an evening walk after dinner. Today I haven't had much time to do any exercise, but I'll get on the bike right after I send this message.

Marvin, you asked what I like about summer... well, I love the warm weather, the SUNSHINE, going to the beach with my hubby on the weekends and wearing short sleeves and shorts. Summer clothes are so much more fun these days now that I'm 44 1/2 lbs. thinner. I also like doing summer sports... like going on boats, jet skiing, playing volleyball and bad minton.

Next time I'll be able to post will be Monday. So, here's wishing everyone a great weekend!

(Hugs),
Dena
Old 07-26-2001, 06:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default Some of my favorites are

swimming in the lake, playing softball, BBQ's at the beach cabin, laying in the sun, fresh veggies from the garden, and the smell of the earth after a thunderstorm on a hot day.

Today I did 1:15 at PT, 1:30 of weight lifting, 300 crunches, 30 minutes on stairmaster and 20 minutes swimming in the lake. I burned 919 calories. I feel good all over and I also stretched for 20 minutes afterword. You sure do feel a lot better when you take the time to stretch good. Oh, and I am going golfing tonight. That is 1168 calories burned including the walking at the golf course.

And... This is my 22nd consecutive day of exercising and I have averaged 418 calories per day burned up exercising. I have averaged 1513 calories per day and only lost 3 lbs. It is good - but I want better. Those calories are going down to 1200 this week.

Last edited by morrigan; 07-26-2001 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2001, 07:34 PM   #7  

Favorite thing about summer: 1. My daughter not having homework (she is a special needs child and needs a lot of help, so that means I DON"T HAVE HOMEWORK!) 2. Coming home from work and still having some daylight. 3. Going on a vacation.

Morrigan: Maybe you are building muscle. Isn't it frustrating when you work out so hard and watch the eating and don't lose what you want?

Dena: Hope you have a great vacation! Mine will start 8/4 and I can't wait.

Saggy: You'll have to let us know if reducing your exercise knocks you off the plateau. I hope you have a good trip to Hilton Head and good weather!

Marvin: Congrats on getting up and getting to the pool. I couldn't make myself get up and do yoga today - I stayed up too late. I like your idea of a daily question. Should whoever starts the thread pose the question?

Copperblu: It's sounds like you are making progress with your weights. It's been YEARS since I used any machines with weights but I never made much progress because it just wasn't my thing. I think it's great you are so determined with it and enjoy it too.

My update: Well, it was 97 degrees here yesterday and dropped to 74 today. It was cloudy, windy and miserable but I made myself get in the pool for a brief water aerobic workout. I had to fish a dead frog and a dead mouse out first. Yuck. At least the pool water was warm. Tonight I am going to do yoga after my daughter goes to bed so I can get a good session in. I have TOM and feel bloated and blah so maybe that will help.
Closed Thread