Old 03-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'6

Question Couple of Questions about FOOD

Is rice bad for you if you not on an carb watching diet? It doesnt seem to have alot of calories in it.. Is it considered better then pasta or just as bad??...Also how many fat grams are you supposed to eat if you are trying to loose wieght? Because I am on Fitday and the little pie chart is sort of confusing.. I am sure some of you know what I mean... I am having a hard time to keep my calorie count above 1300...Its really wierd..
chloriform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Rice isn't bad for you necessarily, but from my understanding, refined carbs like white rice (or white pasta or white bread or anything sugary...) can cause drastic fluctuations in your blood sugar, causing you to not feel full for as long afterwards (and sometimes causing you to feel more tired/less energetic). If you need rice, try brown rice--it's a whole grain, so it's less processed (white rice is basically just stripped brown rice). You can also still eat pasta--they make lots of whole-wheat (or even just whole-grain blend if you're not ready for that leap) now that are available in almost any grocery store.

Fat grams total aren't as important as the types of fat you're eating. Keep saturated and trans fats to a minimum and try to eat unsaturated (mono and poly) fats, as fat is required in order to absorb certain nutrients. Fat grams can vary--generally (unless you're on a specific diet), it is recommended that you keep your total percentage of calories from fat to 30% or less. That's where the pie chart in Fitday comes in handy--it will show you your percentage of calories from fat, which is really the important number (IMO).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Jill. Rice is OK, brown rice is better. Especially if you need to bump up your calories a bit.
Can you link us to your fitday? Wanna share ?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloriform
Is rice bad for you if you not on an carb watching diet? It doesnt seem to have alot of calories in it.. Is it considered better then pasta or just as bad??...
Rice and pasta are NOT bad foods. But everyone seems to be brainwashed into believing it.

However, I agree with the others, brown rice is better because the fiber hasn't been stripped away. It's best to eat whole grain rice and pasta's. I love the whole wheat pasta's, they're very tasty. That, and like Jill said, the whole grain foods don't tend to spike your blood sugar like the 'white' stuff (as it's now called). However, plain pasta is lower on the glycemic index than most breads and cereals.

I personally don't eat a whole lot of rice and pasta, but that's mostly because I only eat about 1200 calories a day and a 2oz. serving of pasta is about 200 calories. I'd rather blow my calories on veggies and lean meats
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #5  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Carbs are NOT bad for you. You just need to know the right carbs. Anything that is whole grain or whole wheat is generally going to be a lot better for you than anything that is refined, such as regular pasta and white bread. My diet plan is based on eating lots of whole grain breads and things which is great for me because I wasn't able to separate myself from the carby-goodness, lol
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthansign3
Carbs are NOT bad for you. You just need to know the right carbs. Anything that is whole grain or whole wheat is generally going to be a lot better for you than anything that is refined, such as regular pasta and white bread. My diet plan is based on eating lots of whole grain breads and things which is great for me because I wasn't able to separate myself from the carby-goodness, lol
Yep, the whole grain stuff is better

But again, even regular pasta is considered a complex carbohydrate. And like I said, it's lower on the GI scale than even most breads and cereals.

I'd rather eat pasta than white rice.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #7  

I would show my fitday I just cant figure out how... And Im scared yall will be like Look at all this crap she is eating No wonder she cant lose weight. :P Just kidding...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #8  

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ner=chloriform I figured IT OUT. WOOHOO GO ME!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

The waffle, the cookie, the cheese sauce and the Alfredo sauce are the big problems. A nice whole grain something and some fruit and a few vegetables would make this a pretty good day.
Actually, your calories are fine.
But you see, I'm a glutton so I want BIG food for my calories buck!
Even if you just have plain old lowfat cheese mixed in the rice, skimp on the spaghetti and only have a drizzle of alfredo sauce ....

Is that the kind of help you were looking for?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloriform
I would show my fitday I just cant figure out how... And Im scared yall will be like Look at all this crap she is eating No wonder she cant lose weight. :P Just kidding...
Honey, regardless of what you eat, as long as you're taking in fewer calories than your body needs to burn for energy, you'll lose weight. One can lose weight eating candy bars and gain weight eating nothing but vegetables. It all depends on the calories. Regardless of where the calories come from.

But, of course, many of us here eat healthy and lowfat because fat clogs the arteries. Saturated and trans fat, that is. Like Susan said, you need to cut back on the fatty stuff. Some people believe it's not what you eat but how much. Others believe it's not how much you eat but what.

I believe it's both. What you eat is just as important how MUCH you eat. Make those calories count and get some veggies and whole grains. There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating the occasional chocolate chip cookie. Just eat them in moderation
Old 03-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #11  

Thank you guys very much... I am going to buy whole wheat and brown rice from now on.. The broccliee, lowfat cheeze sause, cream of mushroom soup and the rice all were in a casorliee that i love to make... I was thinking if I could put brown rice instead it would be a good meal?? Cuase when I eat that its the only thing on the plate.. Im just trying to not cut everything out cause if I make it into a diet I wont stick with it.. Diets have like anti Me sticker on them...