Old 03-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/268/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default Help! I've fallen off the "Ball"!

So this morning was my first real meeting with my trainer, and everything was going along just fine... until the very end, when she wanted me to do ab crunches laying back on a stability ball. I made it thru 2, then I got really dizzy and nauseus... has this happened to anyone else? I want to be able to use the ball... but not if I get sick!

- Liz
Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

That hasn't happened to me while on the ball. You mentioned that you were at the end of your exercise session when this happened. Could it be from working too hard overall? I know that if I push myself too hard, I can make myself sick (especially if I didn't eat well earlier). Maybe try using the ball earlier in your exercise time, and see if you have the same results.

The stability ball is an awsome tool, so I hope you are able to use it
hautbois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Did you eat something before your workout? That always helps me avoid feeling tired and ill. As Donna mentions, it could just be because you were at the end of your workout and were more fatigued. Try doing those at the beginning of your workout and see if it's better for you.

I literally fell off the darn ball last Friday so I can relate to the title of your thread. Personally, I hate the stability ball, but I imagine it's because my core muscles are weak so I have a hard time on the ball. I did one set of three reps on the ball and one on the dome (after I fell off the ball, my trainer put me on the dome--lower to the ground so safer! ), and I was out of breath and drenched in sweat.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #4  

I adore the stability ball, its my favourite exercise after swimming. My core has improved immensley since adding that to my exercise routine. The three year old part of my brain adores it, it thinks playing on a ball is fun, not exercise!!!

What you experienced is actually within the realms of normal. In one of my fitball classes, the trainer warns us all the time about crunches, because some people do get a "motion sickness" from them.

You can work through it, ask your trainer to show you half crunches, where you aren't lying down fully on the ball, and don't tilt your head back. You might find the half crunches challenging, if you have a big tummy and you might need to wait til you lose a bit more (I know i had to and I still have a Michelin Man tummy!!) Perhaps just sit and bounce on it and do hip rotations until you get used to it.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote