South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220.5

Question I got my "food alergy" allergy results!

Hi to everybody it's been at least a year since I been here. It's good to see you all!

Anyways, nutritionist I'm seeing recommended me to have food intolerance test as a weight loss tool. I heard a lot of good thing about this test that is very popular in Europe. The test came that I'm allergic to east (read bread, buns, pickles, vinegar, alcoholic drinks), tomatoes, beef (here goes my steak), apples (... a day), cane sugar (including Splenda), milk (chocolate, ice cream, cream cheese, yoghurt, I can have hard cheeses though), and wheat (not even whole wheat).

So I'm lost how can I eat (under 1400 cal/day) LG (under 45) food without cheating even a beat (must be very strict first 12 weeks) on my food "allergies"? Any ideas?

Also is no gluten means no east?
Old 02-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #2  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hi Agnessa,

I wondered if you have ever heard of NAET. It stands for (Numbriapi...? Allergy Elimination Technique. It is a combination of accupressure, and energy medicine. I had 3 years where I could barely eat a thing. I had a tolerance test found the bad foods and cut them out but was miserable with how I had to live. After about a year of treatments, I can now eat almost all of that which I couldn't before (Still can't pass a treatment on a few foods.) ANYWAYS, this worked wonders for me. I rarely get sick anymore, and can function daily without a problem. Thought you might want to look into it.

In the meantime, I have lots of allergy cookbooks if you want some info. Good luck and try not to let it freak you out to bad. I've been exactly where you are and things can get better.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220.5

Arrow

Tofat, thanks a lot for advice and offer. I actually did not realize I have to get an allergy cookbook. I guess it’s too much information for me to digest in one day.

I never heard of NAET, but now found there website and will try to get more info. I was wondering, did food allergies affected your weight at all?

FYI: The test is called IgG Standard Food Sensitivity Assay (aka Bloodprint) by Immuno labs.

Best of luck to you.

Agnessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofat
Hi Agnessa,

I wondered if you have ever heard of NAET. It stands for (Numbriapi...? Allergy Elimination Technique. It is a combination of accupressure, and energy medicine. I had 3 years where I could barely eat a thing. I had a tolerance test found the bad foods and cut them out but was miserable with how I had to live. After about a year of treatments, I can now eat almost all of that which I couldn't before (Still can't pass a treatment on a few foods.) ANYWAYS, this worked wonders for me. I rarely get sick anymore, and can function daily without a problem. Thought you might want to look into it.

In the meantime, I have lots of allergy cookbooks if you want some info. Good luck and try not to let it freak you out to bad. I've been exactly where you are and things can get better.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:20 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, it can be done. Let the dust settle a bit and then check out the food lists in the FAQ Section. You will see that there is lots more you can eat besides tomatoes, beef and yeast products.
Do you meet regularly with your nutritionist/dietician? If so, perhaps you could take along the lists and get some help in menu planning.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #5  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

No gluten means pretty much anything made with the grains that you are used to eating. (There are many alternatives like rice flour, millet, etc. Some taste better than others) This is a hard one because nothing will have the same consistency of foods you are used to. (Sorry, but when this happened to me, I wish someone could've helped fill me in)

I also had the same test you did. As far as weight wise, I lost a ton of weight, which at the time I was to small to spare the loss. After I got treated, and could eat the foods without sickness (2 yrs. later), I went crazy, ate EVERYTHING and ended up weighing more than I ever dreamed I could. I can honestly say I have a strange outlook on my weight gain because I was NOT SICK and it felt great to enjoy family get togethers without needing to bring everything I could eat. Now I'm getting back down on weight, and enjoying things in moderation.

I wish you the best of luck and if you need help, or just need to vent to someone who has been there feel free to PM me.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #6  
doinitin2006

S/C/G: 202/157.2/132

Height: 5'6"

I went through the same thing and found that after taking all the 'bad' foods out I haven't had a craving or binge since and I love the foods I can eat! I don't feel deprived at all because my food is good. I eat a lot of chili, soups and stews. I can have oatmeal so that's my grain and I can have rice cakes. I started by cleaning out my system with a very clean menu and then added foods in one at a time to see if I'd react. The reaction was almost instant so I knew if it was a no-no or not. I have a great food list and the peace and health I have is work working it out!! Good luck. l
Old 03-01-2006, 07:59 AM   #7  

It is interesting the things we are allergic to...when I was tested for allergies, my main culprit was corn and corn syrup. They told me to cut it out of my diet. That was a few years ago, and it is a very hard thing to do. South beach helps make it possible.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #8  
Who needs sleep?

I believe you can use oat flour, too, for making bread - I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure I've come across it somewhere. Is it only wheat, or is it gluten that you are allergic to? I know wheat is the #1 source of gluten, but I know some other grains contain it as well.

My aunt-in-law went through a long phase of food allergy testing by process of elimination. After quite a while, she and her nutritionist concluded that she is allergic to eggs and soy. It's amazing how many foods that excludes! Still, for a while there it seemed like she couldn't eat anything, so it's an improvement. I wonder how accurate the test is? Have you considered a second test for confirmation? Or do you plan to try a process of elimination? Or just drop everything that tested positive?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:00 PM   #9  

Default Curious

I'm just curious to know what made you all get tested in the first place? Were you having apparent allergic reactions and didn't know the source, or was it just to see what could help with your weight loss?

The reason I am asking is, I keep getting this rash on my hands, it was gone for a while when I did SBD the first time, but once I went off, the rash came back and now it won't go away, so I'm wondering what could be causing it. Was it something as apparent as that, that made you all get tested?

Sarah
Old 03-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #10  

I went for testing because I would have frequent breakouts of hives, as well as headaches so my doctor suggested it. Let me tell you it wasn't the greatest experience having 75 shots down my arm one right after the next. Ouch.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #11  

Default I'll bet

amelie - I'll bet is wasn't a pleasant experience. I think that's why I've never made myself go in for testing. I know I have allergies, mostly seasonal, but I just deal with them and take over the counter stuff, but this persistent rash on my hands is making me wonder if something else isn't going on.

I hate needles!
Closed Thread