Old 02-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default Daily question?

what happened to our daily question?
since it is not up - I am going to brainstorm one up real quick like!

which movie do you think should win the oscar (of the 5, or maybe another if you think) and why?

-------------------------

my answer - this is a tough one - and I still have yet to see good night and good luck. but of the four, capote was my favorite. Munich was just confusing, I thought, broke back, too much hype, crash was GREAT (that is my 2nd choice) and gngl - I heard was slow. But capote not only had a great performance from the entire cast - it was beautiful, well timed, wee constructed - and we all want a success story from a first time big feature director
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:05 AM   #2  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Yes, I've been wondering what happened to the daily questions as well... I enjoyed them a lot even though I wasn't always able to post my responses... hopefully Daily Questions will be back soon!

And as for the question about Oscars, I really can't say anything as I don't even know which movies are nominated, never mention having seen most of them!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I haven't seen one of those movies actually, so I have absulutely no idea whatsoever!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #4  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

Sorry about the absence of daily questions... I've been busy this past week, but I'll start doing them again, I promise!

Other people are, of course, welcome to post daily questions as well. I think it's a good thing to do.

I haven't seen most of the movies that are nominated for Oscars, so I can't really answer this properly. I would like it if Brokeback Mountain won a few awards, because I think there needs to be more gay/lesbian awareness and tolerance. With all the religious and political extremists out there pushing for the marginilization of homosexuals (no gay marriage, and now they're attacking gay adoption), I think it's good for a homo-erotic-romance to get some good press.
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #5  

Of the 5, I've only seen Brokeback Mountain. And while it is somewhat norm-defying, what with having 2 big name male stars kiss and fall in love etc, it's not worth an Oscar. Just because a movie company paid Jake Gyllenhal and Heath Ledger enough money that they'd pretend to be gay doesn't make it an amazing movie. It was a pretty good movie though.... just not Oscar-worthy.

I wanted to see Munich... haven't heard of the rest of them!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #6  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I realled like Munich, and Crash. Brokeback was good, but I don't think it should win... and I haven't seen Good Night and Good Luck or Capote.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #7  
Movin' and Losin'

I haven't seen them, so I can't say. I tend to like movies that would never be nominated for an Oscar (raunchy comedies).
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #8  

Oh, wait... I saw Crash... the one with Sandra Bullock and racism/sterotyping, right? I liked that one... For some reason it feels like I saw it more than a year ago, but I guess not! Again, not sure if it's Oscar-material, but it was good. Like Brokeback Mountain, it treated some interesting subjects...
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:07 PM   #9  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncola
Sorry about the absence of daily questions... I've been busy this past week, but I'll start doing them again, I promise!

Other people are, of course, welcome to post daily questions as well. I think it's a good thing to do.

I haven't seen most of the movies that are nominated for Oscars, so I can't really answer this properly. I would like it if Brokeback Mountain won a few awards, because I think there needs to be more gay/lesbian awareness and tolerance. With all the religious and political extremists out there pushing for the marginilization of homosexuals (no gay marriage, and now they're attacking gay adoption), I think it's good for a homo-erotic-romance to get some good press.
*off topic*
I have to disagree with you. We're not attacking gay marriage and gay adoption, we are trying to keep the marriage institution as it was meant to be: a man and a woman.

The purpose of marriage is to procreate, and same sex couple cannot procreate. Same sex unions are fine, just don't call it marriage

</end rant>

Sorry, it's just something I feel very strongly about.
lateralus98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #10  
Bahamas '06 or Bust!

S/C/G: 179/167.8/115

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralus98
*off topic*

The purpose of marriage is to procreate, and same sex couple cannot procreate.
I really have no opinion whatsoever on gay marriage b/c it doesn't affect my life, but whenever I hear this argument against gay marriage I can't help but think to myself that if the purpose of marriage is to procreate, what about infertile men/women? Can they not marry b/c they can't procreate? Or what about men/women who don't want and never have any kids? Obviously this is not the only purpose of marriage....

And I don't have any opinions on Best Picture b/c even though I love the cinema, I haven't seen any of the nominated movies yet.
Isla_Bonita115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #11  
12 pounds lost in 2006

The only movie I know that was nominated was Broke Back Mountain and I haven't seen it. I couldn't tell you if it is Oscar material or not, but I do agree with Britomart that a movie shouldn't just win an Oscar because it goes outside the norm. It should win if it's an amazingly made movie.
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #12  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

wow - building up the controversy on this post - incredible

I agree that brokeback should win only because it was an amazing movie. Remember - boys don't cry - also gay topics. Capote - gay topics (though not directly adressed like brokeback) I am trying to thinnk of more! Philadelphia...

What is marriage - in the legal sense - a contract between two individuals to share and be united. Religiously - I agree it may be something different...seperation of god and state...
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #13  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

"We're not attacking gay marriage and gay adoption, we are trying to keep the marriage institution as it was meant to be"

I don't know about the rest of you, but I dont feel that "the marriage institution as it was meant to be," or, at term I hear so often, 'the sanctity of marriage" is compromised just because same-sex people want to participate in this union. Rather, marriage is jeopardized by people, very often heterosexuals, who enter into the union lightly without understanding the committment that they are making. Marriage has been deteriorating for years, without the influence of homosexuals, I might add. And who, by the way, gets to dictate what marriage is "meant to be"? If you're talking about very conservative, heterosexual (or in-denial), strongly Christian people who make up a very small percentage of the United States, then yes, by their definition homosexual marriage does fall short. But, for better or worse (I tend to think for better) this type of thinking is dwindling. On a more technical note, marriage is not a religious rite, and therefore should not be beholden to the moral beliefs of a certain religion. Marriage as it is recognized by the U.S. government is not sanctioned for the purpose of procreation only, so by that argument there is no reason why homosexuals can not marry. ("Matrimony" is the religious term for marriage-- so, if we're going to prohibit same-sex unions because of religious principles, then they should be able to "marry" but not participate in the "sacrament of matrimony."

As for adoption, I have no idea how one can say that keeping homosexual couples from adopting in any way protects marriage.

Sorry this is so long, but I have several friends who are gay/lesbian and I hate it when they are being openly discriminated against in a society where we are supposedly all so "politically correct." We should be making progress, not regressing.
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #14  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

oooohhh, i love a lively debate i am surprised we have not gotten into more on here.

personally marriage is not for me. i have a problem with swearing my infidelity in an environment i do not respect. a long time ago i forged the opinion that the catholic church was a group of scared old men that i did not want to be associated with. however i do admire those who have taken that path and honour their vows - although they are becoming fewer and fewer each year.

as for same sex couple being allowed to get married - unfortunately you need to undo 2000 years of values in the church to bring this about. furthermore as you have a majority of decision makers that follow the church it makes the process more difficult.

recently we had a big debate about introducing RU-486 into Australia. the health minister currently had the right to decide on introducing it, which he was not going to allow - he is catholic and anti-abortion. finally they made the decision to let an independant board make the decision on this drug and others to come after it so the decision is unbiased and not personal. the same approach needs to be taken in allowing same sex couples marriage and adoption.

similarily, only just now in australia (it is in effect in June) are they allowing fathers to be seen with the same parental rights as mothers in the courts. the legislation is over 30 years old and has meant that mothers immediately are given custody for no other reason than being the mother. but i digress . . .

anyway, i have not seen any of the movies. we tend to get them 1-2 months out of the oscars so it is a bit of a race to see them all.

however, i will go for the australian connection and say brokeback or munich. i am looking forward to seeing brokeback.

ETA - i personally don't feel that a movie about gay cowboys is going to help the cause of allowing marriage between same sex couples. there are many other movies out there that would.

Last edited by Daisy Boo; 02-28-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #15  

I actually just saw Brokeback Mountain on Saturday night and loved it! I had been trying to get my bf to go see it for the longest time, and he finally caved in and saw it. He really liked it too. The movie did an excellent job of making you really feel for their situations. It wasn't so much that it was a homosexual love story... because it was also the story of a man and a woman too! I could have pictured this movie happening with a woman/woman, man/woman combo too.

Now... on to the gay/lesbian marriages. I live in Ontario, and it is legal for same sex marriages. Personally, I have no quams about them. The way I see it is, whatever makes you happy, go for it. I dont' think that anyone is harming anything by having a gay/lesbian marriage. As for the whole meaning of marriage and having kids, the way I see it is that there are many straight parents out there who have kids should not really have them. With all the abuse and neglect out there, really, they are not the poster image for the ideal parent. Lol i'm rambling... but push comes to shove, I don't care who you love... if you are happy... go for it!

Lol and that is my least intrusive answer. Lol I'm so not one for getting into a debate... I totally respect everyone's opinion... we are all entitled to have one!
Linds81 is offline   Reply With Quote