Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #1  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Question Weight Lifting Reps/Sets Sequence

I just recently started lifting and am learning new things every day. Enjoying what I'm doing so far. And haven't hurt anything yet, so, yay!

Today's question deals with how to perform Reps and Sets. From what I've gathered from research, I should be trying to work a muscle or muscle group "to fatigue". Aiming for 3 sets, 8-12 reps per set is good.

Now, let's assume I'm doing 3 different exercises. Let's call the arm work Exercise A, the butt work Exercise B and the crunches Exercise C. I'm going to do 3 sets of each one, 8 reps each.

How should I do it?
  1. AAA, rest, then BBB, rest and finally CCC?

2. or ABC, rest, ABC, rest, ABC?
The first option makes the muscles much more tired (fatigue!) so I have to do fewer reps. Using the second option, not so much fatigue, so I can do more reps. Which gives the better results? And, when you're working legs and arms, do you do 3 sets on right arm then 3 sets on left? Or alternate right, left, right, left, right, left?

So much to learn!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Lena! It sounds like you're off to a great start!

When they're first starting, most people complete all three sets of one exercise before moving on to the next exercise. BUT ... they rest between the sets. So (using your example), you'd do A - rest 30 to 60 seconds - A - rest - A - rest. Then B - rest - B - rest - B - rest. Etc.

The reason you couldn't do as many reps with the AAA scheme was that you weren't resting between sets, if I'm reading you correctly.

The ABC scheme is circuit training, another good way to train. With it, you DON'T rest between the ABC sets because the A muscles are resting while you're doing B and C. You rest when the entire circuit is finished, like you indicated.

The benefits of circuit training are 1. speed, and 2. it keeps your heart rate elevated because you're not resting until the end of the circuit and so you burn a few more calories.

As for the arms and legs, they're usually done at the same time. However, if you're doing an exercise that you want to alternate right and left, you do that within the set, not as separate sets. Let's say you want to do alternating bicep curls. You'd curl R - L - R - L - R - L - R etc until you did the correct number of reps for each arm. Same thing with something like alternating lunges for legs.

Hope this makes sense - keep asking questions!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:52 PM   #3  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I think I get it! Thanks, Meg!

For the arm, leg alternating, I was thinking of something like Outer Thigh Lift. I was wondering if I do left leg 12 (rest), left leg 12 (rest), left leg 12 (drop to the floor and writhe in agony 'cause of the burning thigh) or left leg 12, right leg 12, left leg 12, right leg 12.

I see now that it depends on whether I'm doing circuit training or not.

For the time being I think i'll do the first method, then, when it's time to change up in a few weeks, I'll try circuit!

Fun fun fun! Thanks again!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #4  
Meg

Ah! Gotcha on the leg question. I'd probably do a set on the left and then do a set on the right, without a break. But there isn't any right answer - which is true of almost everything in the gym!

Your enthusiasm is postively contagious!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #5  
Cuban Cutie

S/C/G: 250/233.8/150

Lena - THANK YOU for asking this .. and Meg for answering !!
I was wondering this exact same thing !! I'm so excited to get started !!

THANK YOU !!
Mrs SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote