Old 02-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default UV Rays tanning

I basically posted this in general but I thought Id post it in the subforum Im most active in!
I was thinking of using a uv tanning bed to get a tan mainly to make my skin more appealing afterall it is winter, Im pasty and I havening really showed off my body before for summer.
I think I look(in my face n e ways) gd pale
Of course if it all goes to plan I will be able too, so I was thinking of starting the slow topup from now, but Im very concerned about skin damage from uv.
My bf said get a spray on but for the cost and how long it lasts and that I could look silly doesnt seem practical.
plus I dont wanna get burned like so many times b4 when I go to tx and fl, so I thought gradual tanning would train my skin that way, but Im really not sure if skin damage is worth it.
Plus Ive seen Final destination 3(I wont spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen it.)
What is your opinion?
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #2  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

You know that the sun and tanning beds ruin your skin overall, but if you must .... I think as long as you don't over do it, i don't see it as being that big of a problem.

I recommend if you do go the tanning salon route, make sure to pay a little extra and do the "high pressure" beds/stand ups. That way you only have to go in about once every two weeks to maintain rather then 3-4 times weekly. Gross!
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 PM   #3  

No matter what, tanning is bad for you. I personally don't think something artificial/superficial is worth the potential damage it can do... But a lot of girls do. At least the spray on stuff can't eventually give you skin cancer.

Don't get a tan if you think a "base tan" will help your skin deal with sunburns later and that it will help you resist damage with later tans. The whole base tan thing is a total myth, no matter what you do, prolonged UV exposure is dangerous.

Don't get me wrong, I don't walk around under an umbrella on sunny days, but it's kind of silly to me to purposefully damage your skin...
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Have you ever tried those sunless tan products they sell at drug stores? I don't know how well they work, but they sound like a safer and less expensive alternative. Personally, I think fair skin is beautiful. But that may be because I'm hispanic and tan all year round. In summer, I try to stay indoors as much as possible to keep my skin lighter. But really, I've seen what tanning beds can do to people (even when they're still young) and it's just terrible.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I've tanned, and I probably will again before my wedding. It is very bad for your skin, there's no question about it. It's one of those things that I do that I know is bad, I don't do it often though. I'd say that if you are going to do it, get a good lotion so you get the most out of your tan while you are in there ( a double bronzer is my fave, and tinglers too, but that's pretty intense). To me it's addicting (mentally of course), I love the relaxing heat and the good smelling lotion, and being able to see a tan in a few days. I worked at a gym with a bed and I had to get some training and go to a big tanning convention. Make sure you get your own goggles, or disposable ones, and clean the non disposable ones every time you use them! Just be responsible about it and go in knowing you risk skin cancer and stuff like that. As long as you do it with the knowledge of the risk, then go for it.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #6  
charliekay

S/C/G: 260/246/199

i am pro tan,i am a avid tanner,i belive in tanning all the way,i belong to an tanning board on the net here that has wondeful wonderful advice and tips and suggestions on tanning the safe and right way,tanning can be very safe if done properly and tanning beds are a whole lot safer then laying in the sun because its a controlled envorment,less uv rays,and required timing on how long you can lay.please if anyone is interested in tanning please go read the tanning site i have on my public gallery or pm me and i will give you the site name or help in anyway i can.
charliekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

If you decide not to go the tanning bed route I reccomend the Jergens Natural Glow daily moisturizer. It's a gradual sunless tan lotion. It looks good on, not all orange. There are 2 or 3 different ones depending on your skin tone...I imagine if you chose too dark it might turn orangish. I think it takes a week or so if you use it everyday. It doesn't smell too bad either compared to some other ones I've smelled.
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #8  
charliekay

but it does become spotchy after a while,it comes off in patches and leaves white spots.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

I am a tanner. The thing with tanning, ust like with eating is moderation. I watch my exposure time both indoors and out, and use the appropriate lotions. I prefer not to use self tanners because I don't like how they wear off. If you have any questions on tanning please feel free to pm me.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 AM   #10  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

I have an aunt who has been tanning for the past 30+ years, and I swear she looks at least 15 years older now than she really is. I'm not saying that an occasional tan is going to turn you into something from The Mummy, but if you do it on a regular basis it'll definitely do some major damage to your skin, cosmetically as well as medically. If I were you, I'd try a spray-on tanner first... if you don't like the results, then there's always the tanning bed. Just be careful.
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #11  
charliekay

of course you will burn in a bed if you don't know what you are doing! you have to be informend and really noligable about your body and your skin to properly get a great tan,if you don't use a really good moisterizer daily after adn before tanning yes a person will look like leather,if you lay everyday and don't use lotion in the bed u will look like leather,if you don't stay hydrated to keep your skin moist you will look like leather,bottom line is to study up and get informened on what you are doing and you will be ok and have a great tan and won't look 100 at 40,just someone that does not really know what they are doing will have those effects.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #12  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Thanks everyone for helping
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:15 AM   #13  
charliekay

all in all just do what YOU want to do,you know you best and know what you want out of life,no one can tell you whether you should do something to your own self or not.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #14  

I'm a Tanaholic I love it. If you're concerned with burning ask the people that work there to put you in for like 5 minutes and remember to use lotion. I'm pretty fair and it took me awhile to get any color I don't recommend the hot tingler lotion if you are fair or burn easily. I use a cool tingle bronzing lotion called Mocha Roca by and it's the best. In my opinion the tanning beds are safer than the sun. Also I wouldnt go through all the mess and hastle of the tan in a bottles. Good Luck
NJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #15  
charliekay

thank you soo much nj84, well said.that was wonderful advice.its hard to go this alone