Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default A Question For You Wonderful Maintainers!!

I just finished reading the thread about loose skin, and I know that we'll all have loose skin from losing so much weight...but what are some things you can do to minimize this. And also, I'm only 19 years old, and plan to be at goal by the time I'm 21. What are the chances of me having less loose skin because of my age? I'm nowhere NEAR goal right now, but I love this thread, and the information I'm able to learn from you all! Thanks!!!
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I don't have any loose skin - I was at my highest weight at 17, I'm 23 now. Perhaps it's something to do with losing slowly, or perhaps it's my age. Just thought I'd chime in!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Thanks! That gives me some hope! lol...Just re-read over the FAQ's, and it was extremely helpful. Also, if it helps, I've been overweight my entire life...well, really obese, I'm not going to lie...numbers don't, so why should I? I plan on learning to bellydance when I get down to around 210, to start toning up...maybe...if I can manage it.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleystar
Thanks! That gives me some hope! lol...Just re-read over the FAQ's, and it was extremely helpful. Also, if it helps, I've been overweight my entire life...well, really obese, I'm not going to lie...numbers don't, so why should I? I plan on learning to bellydance when I get down to around 210, to start toning up...maybe...if I can manage it.
Hi there!

I had been overweight my entire life. My highest weight was 210+ (I saw "+" because I will never know how high I went!). I reached my goal in November of 2004 and haven't been able to tone up my tummy, which I was always keenly aware of. There are also other spots, like my inner thighs and my upper arms (and my boobs!!!), but there is this pocket of skin above my navel that I am most aware of. It kind of sucks to have pancake-like boobs at the age of 23, but you deal with it.

From what I've read here, there are a ton of factors that play into what happens to your skin- general elasticity, if you've been overweight your whole life, how fast you lost the weight, etc...

I'm sure there are many more people who know waaaaaay more about this than I do, but that was my experience. I tried to thwart it as best I could, but I don't think it's something you have a lot of control over. I do think the younger you are, the better, though. I did ask a fitness guru friend and he said to look at the methods body builders use (their skin must literally stick to their bodies!). I'm still not sure he knew what he was talking about! Water is good. Lots of water.

Sorry if this isn't any help, but it's what i got!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #5  

I started my weightloss journey when I was 22 and got to goal at age 24. I've lost 105 lbs and do have more skin then I know what to do with. I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon recently who said that while I have a lot of excess skin, he was suprised that it wasn't worse considering the amount of weight that I had lost. He said that it had a lot to do with my age. I have known people that were older then me who lost a lot of weight and have much less redundant skin and vice versa. The odd thing is that when I was heavy my weight was evenly distributed. My stomach was in proportion to the rest of my body but not overly produing. If anything I carried most of my stomach bulk below my waist line. However, now most of my saggy skin is just above my belly button. I can even get away with wearing low ridders that show a little strip of my lower tummy. My breasts which seemed saggy when they were 42 DD are now a very perky small B . All I can say is that now is the optimal time to lose weight and your skin is at its most elastic. The rest is pretty much left to genetics.
Deelighted4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote