Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-22-2006, 05:22 PM   #1  
2 forward, 1 back

Default Please tell me about protein powder?

I eat a lot of meatless meals and find that balancing my carb intake with protein can be challenging. I've seen many posts on this site about protein powders and shakes, but I'm clueless about them. Could someone provide me with "Protein Powder 101?" Where do you get it ... what do you do with it ... how much does it cost ... how much do you use ... is it low-calorie ... etc.

And if anyone has a recommendation for such a product that I could pick up at, say, Wal-Mart or the local grocery store rather than a specialty health store, I'd be appreciative.

Thank you!
bobbidipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #2  

Protein powder is defiantely a good way to get your protein in.. especially if you don't eat meat ect.

I have a thing of powder called " Decadent Whey" in the French Vanilla flavour.. one scoop is a serving.. there is 140 cals/serving.. plus 100 cals/cup of milk (i use 2% because it's the only kind in the house right now.. i don't normally drink milk).

I mix one scoop of powder with 1 cup of milk in my blender and it makes it like a milkshake.. and that way i know all the powder has been mixed in.. nothing worse than a clumpy protein shake

I have heard of ppl making "hot chocolate" with it.. adding it to yogurt..ect.

there are a lot out there.. some have higher protein contents than others.. the one i have is 25G's per serving.. which isn't bad.
Losingitin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #3  

Oh the one i got was 37.99 and should last me a month.
the good thing about most nutrition or health stores is that some will give you samples of a certian flavor to try before you buy a big thing...
where i got mine the lady said if i didn't like the flavor i could exchange it for another
Losingitin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #4  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Rtd-51

I drink RTD-51 protein shakes each morning instead of breakfast. (I'm not a big breakfast eater anyway). They're very tasty, come pre-made (in a can), and have all the vitamins and protein I don't normally get. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't get a lot of the stuff I need, because of the calorie/fat/carb/diet restrictions I've imposed on myself. I think the protein shake is an awesome way to fill in the gaps in my nutrition. My boyfriend and I refer to it as my daily can of "Soylent Green".

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #5  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I use chocolate flavored whey protein powder which I got from Walmart. Walmart had a few different brands but I always grab for chocolate when available! It's in the supplement/vitamin section. It cost about $15 for a 2lb container which has 30 servings. It has 110 calories and 20g protein per serving.

It has a good taste, imo. I add it to cottage cheese and also make protein bars out of it as well as shakes.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #6  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Good article

I found a good article/review of protein shakes and stuff. The RTD-51 stuff I drink (and like) is by METRx (the one they like). Although I have RTD-51, which is higher cal/content, so it's actually better as a meal-replacement at 240 calories, 51 gm of protein, 5 carbs, and 1gm of fat.

Article: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4865.asp

The stuff I drink/like: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=MQ-1204

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #7  
2 forward, 1 back

Thank you so much for the info. and links! My posting of this thread was really timely, because I'm feeling lousy again after working out two days in a row and I suspect the protein issue may be behind it. I just can't bring myself to go eat a pile of meat (note to self: pick up some Boca Burgers).

I think I will start with whey protein powder since I envision adding protein to things I'm already eating rather than seeking a meal replacement.

If anyone else has anything to add, I will gladly read on. I really appreciate the information.

Last edited by bobbidipity; 02-23-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #8  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

just a note: rather than spending up to 15 $ for the whey protein... watch the sales at GNC u can get the 6 lb container on sale for 28.00 and lots of times they have a buy one get 1 half price deal... they also sell online
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #9  
2 forward, 1 back

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlylocks
just a note: rather than spending up to 15 $ for the whey protein... watch the sales at GNC u can get the 6 lb container on sale for 28.00 and lots of times they have a buy one get 1 half price deal... they also sell online
Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 PM   #10  
Sonya

Default Protein Powder 101

My husband buys ISOPURE LOW CARB ZERO SUGAR PROTEIN POWDER. He buys it at Vitamin World. It has 50g of protein per serving. I has only 3 carbs per serving. You can buy Protein Powder from WalMart and it is called Whey Protein. It is cheaper at WalMart, but he really likes the Protein Powder from Vitamin World. If you would like anymore information on the Protein Powder feel free to email us at [email protected]
thunderwoman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #11  

Hi. I use Shaklee, look it up on the computer or the phone book and find a person who sells it around where you live.It is one of the or the best line of health vitiman products I wouldnt use any thing else especialy any thing from a store, theres all kind of additives in it read iabout it on the comp, after 30 days or even before I was feeling so good it gives you the energy where your not tired and sluggish anymore if you use it on a regular basis. It is expensive but like i said its the best in my book. I use other things they have to. Especialy for women and the changes our body goes through. SLiM 101
SLiM101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #12  

I've only ever bought the chocolate whey protein by Body Fortress, you can get it at Walmart (I'm in England so get it elsewhere) it's good, I often have it with milk and a banana and whizz it up as a smoothie after the gym.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #13  

We *love* the vanilla body fortress powder from Walmart. You can get 6lb tubs from Sam's Club for about $20 but I'd suggest buying the 2lb $12ish from WM first to make sure. I'm always a little leary of buying the big one and finding out we can't stomach it
mom2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 PM   #14  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I'll just add my 2 cents worth......I buy the HUGE 6lb tub of whey protein powder at Costco for $20. This tub is soooo big, it has lasted me several months and I have at least one a day. I too use a blender and 1 scoop of powder along with 1 C of ff carb countdown milk. (mixes up to a 3C frothy milkshake type drink) 1 scoop of my pp gives me 22 grams of protein, 0 fat and 1 carb. Last night for example, I also added a scoop to my whole wheat pancake mix, just to balance out the protein to carbs ratio.....had to have them for pancake tuesday!!! I guess I should also mention that protein powder is available in whey protein or soy protein. You might look into the advantages of both, but I just went with the whey protein. Good luck!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote