Old 02-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb ??

Hi all -
I'm about 30lbs overwieght and have started watching what I'm eating and excersising. I notice that I am basically doing a low carb diet. The scale isn't moving but I'll say I wasn't 100% into this until now (quit smoking 3 months ago and 30lbs later - I'm now ready) Anyhow, I want to use the low carb diet plan, I know that it works for me to limit my carbs but I absolutly can not do the induction period, I have tried numerous times and always crash on that. Is it possible to stil do a low carb diet without a 2week induction and have it work?
Can anyone recommend a book on low carb eating that isn't Atkins or Southbeach?

Thanks,
Dawn
Loywi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:19 PM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

Protein Power. That one starts you out at 30 grams a day. It is very similar to Atkins, but is a little lower in fat.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:01 AM   #3  
Susan hockeyfan7

I just bought the Protein Power book and started to read it. It looks interesting. I got it on half.com for $1.19 plus shipping which was about $3.50.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:37 AM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Protien Power is a good book and much easier reading that PP Life Plan. If you really want to get technical read the Life Plan book. Both as I am from a medical field can get technical for even me. you can skim over the really technical areas and go back to them when you are ready. if you chose to do that I really would suggest the PP Life Plan book.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #5  
Going to ONEderland

I loved the scientific part of the Protein Power book. It was edited in a weird way though and the last chapter (about Egypt) was supposed to be the first, and so unless you read them in that order it didn't make a lot of sense. They refer back to "Egypt" later in the book, and unless you've read that last chapter you really don't know what they are talking about.

I really thought the anthropological part of the whole thing was fascinating. The part about the study regarding mouth shape etc. How indigenous peoples had jaws that grew right and they didn't have to have braces or anything and then you put them on a bad diet (or actually put their parents on a bad diet) and suddenly you have these problems. It was odd to me because of all my brothers and sisters, I was the only one to need braces. And then you get my three kids and they all need them. Made me wonder what changed. My mother's diet and mine I guess. I was born in 1956 the last of the 4 kids. Maybe different foods were available to my mom at that point than in the years prior and of course, I know that I've eaten way too much junk food most of my life.

Anyway various parts about the Protein Power book were very interesting. I haven't read the "lifeplan" book.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:55 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

The Life Plan book get into the Magnesium and supplements in much detail and then wow on the cholesterol I still have yet to read it in complete. I keep loaning it out and then never getting it back (same with my long lost PP book)
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote