Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-18-2006, 10:28 AM   #1  
Average White Girl

Default Exercise and cravings

i have no idea if this has ever happenned to anyone else, of it it's just me, but anyway...

Since January 21, I have been going to the Y religiously. I really enjoy going, I have been cardio and strength training. Even though I do all this, my scale has yet to budge. I think part of it is that my body is going to take some time to get used to all this. The other part is that I find that when I don't exercise, I can eat really well, but when I do work out, I seem to fall off the wagon.

I think it's partially because I get so hungry and am not prepared to deal with it healthily, or i eat fine, but don't eat enough to satiate myself, or I don't wait before continuing to eat. The other part is an attitude of "I worked out, I can eat that. I earned it!".

Even though this frustrates me, my attitude isn't one of defeat, it's confusion. I am wondering if anyone has ever gone through this and what's helped. Before I work out I usually have 1 cup oatmeal w/ half cup 1 % milk, and a banana or string cheese.

I had some success w/ yogurt post work out, but I can't hack the taste enough to keep up w/ it...

It seems that once I get a better handle on this, it'll really help my weight loss efforts. It's already helped my attitude tremendously
alteaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 286/160/145

Do you eat anything immediately after you exercise? I used to eat a ton after a good workout. I mentioned this to my doctor, and she told me to try eating something like a piece of string cheese or a hard boiled egg within 30 minutes of finishing my workout. She also told me to drink a large glass of water with the little snack.

It's helped me tremendously! I work out after work, and that little snack completely tides me over until I can get home, shower, and cook dinner (usually about an hour and a half or more!).
bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #3  
one leg press at a time

I tend to be in the same boat. I workout with no problems, but food & convenience food is a big factor as to ahy I am as fat as I am.
I am trying to make a concious effort this year into eating better and one thing I have noticed is that by using fresh herbs in my foods. One of the newest creations for me was a small pizza. I got some flat corn tortillas, pizza suce, cheese, turkey pepperoni, thyme, rosemary, and chili powder.
lay the tortilla on a baking sheet, brush a small amount of extra virgin olive oil on the tortilla, then add freshly chopped thyme & rosemary (just sprinkle over "crust") add 1-2 tsp f pizza sauce, cheese (mix a small amount of chili powder with the cheese- it is not hot, but intensifies the flavor of the cheese), veggies & pepperoni if desired, place in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted about 10-15 minues.
For some reason, the fresh herbs are satisfying my need for tasetful food and I am able to consume less of the dish that I would if it were not made with them.
Food journals are helpful in tracking your downfall foods AND the times of day you tend to get that "needy" feeling for the extra serving or whatever it is. I also have started pulling out my cookbooks (I prefer Rachel Ray's books simply b/c the meals are 30 minutes easy to substitute ingredients and non complicated & easy to clean up behind) and making a list of the meals I want to try. THen make the list of what I need and stick to it. Since most of her things have 4 servings, I use maybe 4 recepies a week, have a serving for myself, and any leftovers get used as lunch or dinner for later in the week. one thing I have recently discovered as well os Dove chocolates. These are very rich and velvet- like in texture so I bought a bag and if I must have choclate or sweets, I have 1 piece and am satisfied with it. But before I resort to choclates, I try a slice of citrus fruit, sometimes it conquers the craving, sometimes not.
I think the key is really experimenting with foods and sometimes you have to just learn to eat things we don't care for..one way is to experiemnet with it in receipies and see if ther is a way that we can eat it.
I am not a banana fan, but tried some that were covered in a thin layer of red stuff, which turned out to be jello. To replicate, cut a banana in 1/4 inch slices, insert toothpick, make jello of your choice but do not set in frideg to gel yet. take the bana and dip it into the jello, then pull out and set on wax paper or saran wrap that is in a baking dish, and place in the fridge until gelled. You may want to double/tripple dip the fruit if desired.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #4  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I did better when I stopped going out to eat and only have healthy snack in the house.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote