Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 02-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #1  

Default Pregnant and need help...

I am 3 and 1/2 weeks pregnant. My first doctor's appt is Tuesday but until then have any of you managed to diet while pregnant in order to control weight gain and not to lose weight? If so how did you do it??

With my first pregnancy I gained way too much and it was unhealthy for my son and me and I don't want that to happen this time. Especially since I'm already overweight to start with this time.

Thanks
Aces67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

My doctor has advised me to eat 2000 calories a day for the first trimester (first 12 weeks) and then up it to 2200-2400 for the remainder of my pregnancy to control my weight gain.
2000 calories will maintain your weight for most women, and the 2200-2400 can allow for a slow gain. I usually gain 50-60 pounds each pregnancy, and this time we are aiming for about a 25 pound gain instead.
Take note that even on 2000 calories a day-you may gain a couple pounds in your first trimester because your breasts will swell/get larger and doing all of the groundwork for your breastmilk production at the end of your pregnancy. You also gain more blood volume in your body when you are pregnant, and over the first few months the placenta and bag of waters grows as well to house/sustain the baby-and those things all will register on the scale. (This is why a woman can gain 30 pounds and have an 8 pound baby!)
You just need to remember that while you want to control your weight gain, you still want to gain at LEAST 15 pounds during your pregnancy if you are already overweight, and anywhere from 20-40 pounds if you are of average weight-depending on what your doctor recommends to you based on your age, frame, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!

I didn't "diet" during my pregnancies. I ate balanced (for some reason that's easier for me when I'm pg?) and exercised all the way through. My doc told me to up my calories by 300 in the second trimester. And that those calories should come from lean protein. Not ice cream!!! Anyways, first pg I gained 15 pounds and 2nd pg I gained 18 pounds. Both times I lost weight in the first tri because of morning sickness, but after that goes away it all evens out. It was the post-partum depression after this last pg that really messed with me. Oh, well...

Good luck in you pregnancy! Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!! You'll do fine as long as you are conscious about being healthy.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #4  
Mom2ThreeCuties!

S/C/G: 260/252/140

Height: 5'5

Congratulations!

I gave birth three weeks ago, and I managed to keep my weight gain to about 20 pounds total. I actually don't know what I weighed the last 2 weeks of pg'y but I think total it was around 20. With my first pregnancy I gained 40 so I understand wanting to keep it under control! The main thing I did differently is I was able to remain active (with my first I was on bed rest the last six weeks) throughout the pregnancy even though I stopped "really" working out at the end of the second trimester. I still did housework and took my daughter to the park, stuff like that. It really makes a difference I think, just to be up and moving around every day.

Also I drank tons of milk, I CRAVED it actually. Some days I drank a half gallon of skim milk all on my own! Did this help me not to gain too much weight? Maybe, who knows! They say dairy helps you lose weight, right? (Or so the Dairy Council would have us believe!)

Of course I also ate brownies, and chips, and junk, when I craved it. But not every day! And I let myself have fast food once a week, usually a happy meal, but sometimes Taco Bell or something. It was kind of nice being pregnant, I thought about the NUTRIENTS in food rather than how many calories or fat grams it contained.
HoosierHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170?/130/130

Height: 5'2"

Congrats to you!! I as well didn't "deit" but ate healthier and my midwife told me your normal exercise should be okay all the way through. I would not add any extra than your normal routine. Congrats to you!!! I have three wonderful girlies last one is 6mo. I love being a mother! Most important thing I ever did!!
amyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/184.5/150

Height: 5'3

I am a little worried, as I have already gained about 10 lbs, and I am only at 9 weeks. It does not help that I am usually too sick and tired to exercise (though I am trying to walk more - I was quite active before pregnancy, though still about 35 lbs overweight) and the only thing that really helps the nausea is eating regularly. And it's not fruits,veggies, and lo-cal snacks that sound good - "real" food, and comfort foods. All I can hope is that I really do feel better in my second trimester and can exercise more and eat more healthily...?
ctrsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I wouldn't worry too much-your first trimester sounds just like mine went. I gained about the same during the first two months as well-but I SWEAR 2 pounds of it has been in my chest. It was my first clue that I was pregnant again-I "knew" a week before my period was even due-it wouldn't even register on a test yet.

I had really bad morning sickness as well-REALLY bad. The worst out of my three pregnancies. I am now a little over 15 weeks, and in the past 3 weeks it was declined slightly. I still have the occasional "gag reflex" or episode, but it isn't all the time now.

Carbohydrates, rather than protein, tend to ease morning sickness a little more-but obviously we all want the cakey-comfort food type stuff. If you like apple pie or fried apples and consider that a comfort food-here is a low calorie trick that is also a fruit serving.

Core an apple with an apple corer (Not red delicious though-they are usually too sweet-other varieties are fine.) or cut and apple in half and remove the core. Put a little cinnamon on the halves or in the cored center, and a SMALL smidgen of sugar. (As in, a pinch. ) Microwave this for 30 seconds or so at a time, checking it each time-until it is cooked through. You can have a warm comfort food taste for about 100 calories.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 275/226/160

Height: 5'1

Talking

Hi my name is Tiffany and i just found out I was pg. about 1 week ago, that puts me at about 3 weeks. When i found out i went crazy crazy (im 5 foot and weight in at 260 then). Well I have slowed down and Im trying to stay outdoors, its been so hot here in Michigan latley. I weight myself today and Im down to 252.0. I not dieting i here thats a no-no but can you offer tips please about eating and exersing,
Tiffrutherf is offline   Reply With Quote