Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #1  

Default Brownies??

Does any one have any low cal brownie ideas? Possibly with whole wheat flour? Thanks in Advance!!
cheermomlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #2  
Mel

Protein Brownies

Ingredients
5 egg whites
2/3 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Splenda ( I found these waaaay too sweet and cut the splenda in half)
2 tsp Butter Buds (in powder form)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked) and ground to a flour in food processor
2 servings protein powder (to equal 50 g of protein)
1 tsp cinnamon
Procedure
Beat egg whites with a mixer until whites are meringue-like.) Gradually add Splenda and vanilla extract; beat well. (I do this until they are meringue-like...stiff and glossy.) Blend in cottage cheese and Butter Buds and beat until curds are smooth. Combine oatmeal, cocoa, protein powder, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl...add mixture gradually to egg white/cottage cheese mixture and beat until combined. Stir in walnuts. Spread in a Pam sprayed tin. (I use an 8x8 pan for one batch or muffin tins ) Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes.

Serving Information
· Serves: 6 muffins at 236 calories without walnuts: 204
· Fat: 27%, Carbs 36%, Protein 37% (with walnuts)
· Calories: 1420 in total batch ; 1224 without walnuts
· Make in mini-muffin tins with 1 heaping tsp. of batter: approximately 36 muffins at 39 calories each.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #3  
with my mind on my monkey

No Pudge Brownie Mix is fantastic. You can even cook single servings (and in the microwave!) All you do is mix with yogurt and bake (or nuke). They're low in fat and calories and so tasty. Of course I always muck it up by topping with ice cream and hot fudge, but at least the brownie is benign!
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:59 PM   #4  

Pecan Brownies
Brownies, you ask? Well of course this recipe is packed with fiber so they are healthy, but oh so tasty, so get baking! Nuts on top add some crunch to these cakey brownies.

1 can (15 oz) cannellini, kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup skim milk
1/3 cup liquid egg
¼ cup soft non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup sugar substitute
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
½ cup toasted chopped pecans

In food processor, puree beans until coarse. Add in milk, egg, margarine and vanilla and puree until smooth, scraping down sides a few times. Set aside.
In large bowl combine flour, cocoa, sugar substitute, baking powder and salt. Pour bean mixture over flour mixture. Stir to combine. Scrape batter into parchment paper lined 8-inch square baking pan, smoothing top. Sprinkle with pecans.
Bake in 350F oven for about 18 minutes or until cake tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool on rack.
Makes 16 brownies.

Storage: These brownies need to covered with plastic wrap or cut and stored in airtight container for up to 4 days. They can also be frozen for up to 2 weeks.

From Rick Gallop's website
I know it sounds strange but they were very good, next time I may add a bit more splenda.
Chari
surfer376 is offline   Reply With Quote