South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #1  

Default My Dear Sweet Husband - Who I Love and Adore...

This is my second time doing SBD, the first was in 2004. I remember hubby complaining that I wasn't feeding him enough carbs, even when I moved to phase 2! Never mind that he's a grown man (Is there such a thing?) with his own vehicle who likes to remind me that he makes twice as much money as I do!
Well, he's never been a big fruit eater. Veggies, yes, but sometimes he would eat fruit and sometimes he wouldn't. Very picky about it.
Me on the other hand, well, fruit was a hard thing to give up on phase 1. I've been on phase 1 more than 2 weeks, but I messed it up by eating some non-legal things I thought were legal.
The past few weeks, hubby has been wanting to eat fruit. Today he saw a roadside stand and came back with huge strawberries, a fresh pineapple and two mangoes - while I'm still in phase 1!
I'm packing the berries in his lunches. Now that I have the book again I'm following the menues - one more week and I will add fruit first thing, but I intend to enter phase 2 S-L-O-W-L-Y this time.
It sure seems he's trying to sabotage me. Those strawberries DO look good!
garybearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:27 AM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

GBgirl, have you talked with your husband about this? Sometimes they really are actively trying to sabotage us (without realizing what they are doing) and sometimes they just don't realize how much of a temptation it is. My DH made hot dogs the other night. I know that I can have a hot dog, but only one, and I was doing P1 at the time, so it wasn't an option. They are something I really, really enjoy, and so it was really hard to watch him eat them! He just didn't realize what a temptation it was! I had to tell him...and then he got it. Try talking with your DH and see if he understands how hard this is for you. Hopefully he will and will offer, all on his own, to stop bringing in things you can't eat.

However, if he doesn't, IMHO, put your foot down, woman! He has a car, he's a grown man, and if he's working outside the home, he has lots of time to eat fruit where you can't see him. Tell him to do that consuming away from you until you can have some too. Be serious and honest with him and set strong guidelines. I feel, very strongly, that the reason I made it this far was because I was very determined with my husband, my friends, and my family and let them know that I was not going to have anything in the house that I couldn't eat. If they didn't like that, they could get what they wanted themselves and eat it out of my sight (or in my sight if they asked first...after a year of SBD, I could deal with watching my husband eat some things without it causing any problems...but he always asked me first if it would be okay). It's worked really well...and the truth is, I know this is a healthy plan and that it's actually beneficial for him to eat this way!

My DH is a super-skinny guy (go figure) and I do give him the option of extra carbs with our meals. That said, no one needs the amount of carbs we are all used to eating. I swear, before SBD, I was eating at least 27-35 servings of carbs a day!!! That was not necessary!!! Find out what your husband thinks is a good amount of carbs and talk with his doctor or a nutritionist, if you need to, in order to assess if this is an accurate amount for his health and weight. Then go from there. It's pretty easy to add carbs to meals so he can have more...keep a stash of WW rolls, WW pasta, etc. on hand to add for him. I know Barb does a great job of making carb-included meals for her family while she eats them without carbs. You might ask for her advice as well.

Good luck!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:05 AM   #3  

I would have popped some of those strawberries in the freezer for phase 2 and told him how much I appreciated them but that I just wanted to wait until I reached phase 2 to eat them. There is a strawberry pie (crustless) that I make in phase 2 that can be made with frozen strawberries or you could make a shake out of them when you get to phase 2.

My husband sort of does phase 2 with me. He eats what I fix but then snacks on whatever I want. He just knows that if it is something that tempts me that I shouldn't have (like sweets) to keep it hidden and eat it when I am not around. He can keep salty snacks visible since I don't crave them.

What I do when I am in phase 1 is to fix dishes that would be served over rice or pasta and I eat them over lightly microwaved cabbage. I then make rice or pasta for him and my son. Often if I am in phase 2, I will make a dish like last night's dinner. It had whole wheat penne pasta, ham chunks, zucchini, asparagus, green onion, spices and a cream sauce made from fat free evaporated milk. It has lots of veggies. My son eats less of the veggies (but enough for an 8 year old) and I eat more. I even chopped up some mushrooms that I had into my bowl for extra veggies.

I've worked hard to come up with ways to make everyone happy (at least some of the time). It isn't easy. My son and I really like beans and chicken while DH doesn't. He is a big meat eater. We compromise and we eat get something we like some of the time.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote