Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - Week of Feb. 13th

Good morning everyone.

I tried to read all of the posts from last week but gave up after a while. My concentration just isn't what it usually is.

You see, my own father passed away last Sunday, Feb. 5th. He had a stroke the Sunday before - while I was in New Brunswick with Mark and his family for his father's visitation/funeral. My family tried to contact me on the day of his stroke but couldn't reach me - we were at the funeral home. Finally, my Mom gave orders that I wasn't to be contacted - to let me deal with that situation first.

Arrived home on Sunday evening to the news. That same evening, they gave Dad a blood transfusion (bleeding from the bowel) but it didn't work, and the doctor advised that anyone who could come home should do so. My sister and I drove to Bathurst (5 hours away) on Tuesday.

We had six beautiful days with him. He was conscious a lot of the time and seemed to recognize us. He certainly knew my Mother, and cracked jokes until the end. My oldest sister and I were with him when he drew his last breaths early on Sunday morning. The rest of the family had just left; it was like he decided to go with them.

Last week is a blur. Dad had dedicated 50 years of service to the Boy Scout movement and knew a lot of people. There were many touching moments, and I will never forget how much he meant to so many people in addition to his family.

Arrived back here on Wednesday and went right into packing mode. My condo closing is on Wednesday, and the move itself on Saturday. I will try to post pics but forgive me if this takes an abnormally long time; I am definitely not thinking straight.

Don't know where my weight stands. I've packed my scales . Got out for a run yesterday and am going to do strength training after work at the gym. Then it's back to putting my life in boxes.

BTW, M did come for my Dad's funeral. I appreciated that a lot.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:06 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Susan, I am so sorry to hear about your father's passing. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. All that after dealing with Mark's dad. How awful for you. Now you have to pack and move?? You have definitely had too much stress for one person. I'm glad to hear that you're still running. It's so important to take care of yourself at times like these. Hugs, mega hugs to you.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #3  

I had an OP day yesterday and today is going well, so that gives me some encouragement. WI is tonight. I was going to put it off, but why??? I need a kick to get me serious again. I'm still exercising, but I'm also doing that other exercise--hand to the mouth!!

It is very cold here. We had low 30's this morning and it's windy. I know that many of you northerners are having a very rough time. I hope that you stay safe.

The weekend was all right. I spent Saturday in Orlando at a professional conference which was worthwhile. On Sunday, I had a rehearsal and then I went to an audition, but I don't think my audition went well. The rest of the weekend was spent working on my home computer--lots of problems. I think it's stable now.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:28 AM   #4  

How did your weigh-in go Lisa? I got to the gym after work and really enjoyed the weight workout. No packing last nite - just couldn't face it. Hope to get a bit more done tonite, but the big drive comes tomorrow to Friday. I am off of work and except for a few appliance/furniture deliveries and exercise, I can devote my time to finishing up.

Sorry to hear it's cold, but I have to ask. Does it help your running? I am completely in awe of runners who brave hot weather. I have a terrible time in our summers, can't imagine running in yours (or your winters either).

I am having computer problems too. Looks as though the power supply in mine is kaput. M took it in to Staples over the weekend but it seems that Dell has proprietary control over most of the innards. Go figure.

Is everyone else on vacation?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #5  

Hi there. Thought you might want to see the real estate listing for my condo. It's just like the one pictured here. Hope they don't disable or remove the link...

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.as...ertyID=4253524
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Susan: You've have quite a rough spell. I hope things are going better. It sounds like you were able to enjoy your dad's last days and being with him has to be a blessing for you. I don't know how I'd be handling the same situation! Sounds like you're moving well with getting things packed for your move. I often think a move would be good! The condo looks great!

Lisa: Brrr...that's cold for your neck of the woods! We've been hovering in the mid 20's but we're headed into a warmup for the next few days. I'm just hoping we don't smacked with a storm while I'm in Chicago this weekend. I've been keeping an eye on the forecast. How is your floor coming along? Is it done?

I haven't been doing a whole lot except working--I worked at WW on Friday/Sunday, went to Tea with the Lincoln's on Sunday (it was wonderful) and worked at WW last evening. It doesn't leave a whole lot of time to get into too much trouble. I've been really tired and am looking forward to seeing the doctor on Thursday morning! I'm hoping that they'll be able to start me on some medication to make me feel better and hopefully get my energy level back. Usually when I bump up my exercise I feel better and lose a little but the added activity isn't doing much. *sigh*

Pam: Did you get buried with the nor'easter? My GF husband got stuck in CT on Sunday and was rescheduled on a flight yesterday. I haven't talked to her to find out if he made it home. It was quite a storm!

Lala: How are your floors? Are you able to move in your furniture and walk on it yet?

Hi to Austingal, Velveteen! Hope you two are doing well!
Old 02-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #7  

Susan, I used to do free weights and I must admit that I enjoyed it. It seemed to relieve stress and I felt that I had accomplished something. Running in cold weather is better for me. I seem to be able to go longer distances. Of course, I'm not fond of this 30 degree weather we're having and if it's windy, it's miserable. Running in the heat is a challenge. I usually run in the early morning (6 a.m.) and in the summer it's not too bad. Your condo is very nice. It will be exciting to be decorating your new place. I had to install a new CD ROM drive in my computer and then the USB wasn't working for my DSL. Argh!!!! I think it's working now.

My WI went well. I went to a new meeting and I liked their scale!! I was down 3#, totally unexpected, but I'll take it. Now I need to keep doing good things. Tonight will be tough though as DH and I are going to a gourmet restaurant for Valentine's Day.

Melissa, it was 32 degrees here this morning. This is not fun for us here. By the weekend we'll be at 75 or so. So much snow up north. That was awful--30 inches in New York City. I can't imagine that.

Hello, lala, Velveteen, and Austingal
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 AM   #8  

Hi ladies,

Well I think we've finally dug out from all the snow. Actually it was a very strange storm parts of western MA received only 2-4 inches and others received up to 2 feet. Unfortunately my little town got 22 inches! I honestly don't recall seeing that much snow fall at once. Roads are pretty clear now and with temps in the 40's through Friday hopefully a lot of it will melt.

Susan my deepest condolences. How fortunate that you and your sister could be with him. Susan, you've been through so much lately, I know things are going to get better soon. Your condo is beautiful with some very nice amenities. I know you were concerned with the condo association fees but they seem pretty reasonable considering all you are getting...a heated pool with a club house is very nice in addition to your own yard. My DH recently sold a condo, and the fees were much higher and there were no amenities at all, no yard, no pool, no fitness center. Also, at almost 1,600 square feet your condo is very spacious. I think you made a great choice!

Melissa glad you're getting to see the doctor on Thursday! It's very frustrating when you feel tired and have little energy. Glad you enjoyed your tea this weekend. Did you get any snowfall?

Lisa hope your temps warm up...that's too cold for you Floridians! I'm looking for a new computer for home. The one we have is 4 years old and a little outdated. We planned on going last weekend but ended up getting snowed in. Maybe this weekend. Congrats on the 3# loss, hope I can do the same tomorrow.

Hi to lala..hope you're having a nice Valentines Day.

Well, my Valentines gift from DH was the box set of the Sex and the City DVD's. That's what I asked him to get for me and he actually was listening!
Hope you're all having a good day...talk to you tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:48 AM   #9  

I just read about your father and father-in-law's death. Death is never easy, but we can be thankful that they are not suffering anymore. I am certainly acquainted with losing a loved one. My husband drowned several years ago, and that was the hardest blow I have ever received. My father and grandson death was also hard. I have found that God is the strengh and grace I need in times like these. I to had some precious times with my father before he died.
My daughter had breast cancer this year. It hurt to see her hurt and sick with chemo and surgery. At any rate, as God spoke to my daughter, all is well when we trust him.
I have always been a stress eater and have gained weight this past year. I find that I reach out to the wrong things when the going gets tough. I am thankful for this web site and the encouragemnet it gives. I do more reading than posting.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #10  

Noble1, I think all of us tend to eat more when under stress. I knew one woman in my lifetime who said that she could NOT eat when under stress. That sure is not my story!

Pam, yes our floors are done and they're beautiful! DH said after we moved the furniture back that they look like they've always been there. It's just right. The only unfortunate thing was that my installer asked for more money. I was upset about this, but I negotiated a lower amount with him. I know that he had problems taking up my old floor, but I did not think that was my problem! Besides I hope to use him in the near future (when I've saved enough $) for a bathroom remodel.

It's a lot nicer here today--70 degrees (it was 43 this morning, still chilly). Last night DH and I had a wonderful dinner at a great (expensive) gourmet restaurant about 25 miles from our house. It was great.

I think I mentioned that I auditioned for another play, but I didn't get selected. Oh well, I won't be auditioning for a while. Actually there's not much out there for us older folks! Since I didn't get cast, DH and I are going to the other side of the state to see my family.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #11  

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your comforting wishes.

I got the keys to the condo today. The appliances were delivered without incident and will be installed tomorrow. I moved most of my clothing. That's the good news. The bad is that a storm is expected on the weekend and it may prevent my moving party from getting here to help. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude.

Pam: I agree that the condo fees are most reasonable. What I was/am having difficulty with are the occupany fees. Here in Nova Scotia, the property must be registered with the provincial government before they are able to accept the payment. To be registered, they must have at least 51% of the units sold. Until that happens, they charge an occupany fee - a percentage of the selling price that is not applied to the purchase price. In my case, it amounts to almost $1400 per month. That's what I have the problem with! Tbe good news is that it may not be much longer. And the pool will be in by the time summer rolls around!

Lisa: There were times in my life when I reacted to stress by being unable to eat. That doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

Melissa: I hope your doctor can prescribe something for your energy level. I'm trying to keep up the exercise, but it's a struggle. I went to a Pilates class this morning and I should be out doing hill training as we speak but obviously I'm not. I hope to get back to a regular schedule sometime soon.

NobleI: I am sorry for your loss. It is natural to lose a parent, but a spouse must be devastating. I admit that I am mostly numb. But I smiled a few times today, so I take that as a good sign.

I'll try to check in again before the weekend.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #12  

Susan, I hope the storm is not bad. With all of the technological advances in our world, we're still controlled by the weather!

How was your Pilates class? I enjoy it, although I find some of the moves difficult. I've never been very flexible. Had a massage last night from a different LMT because DH won a gift certificate at a race and gave it to me. : ) It was a good, relaxing massage.

DH and I plan to visit my folks this weekend, but other than that no big plans. Anyone else have plans?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #13  

Hi.

Lisa: The class was great - she was the best instructor yet. I wish I could attend her classes all the time but she does mornings and of course that conflicts with work.

I am exhausted. Was up fairly early today and made a few trips to the condo with things that I want to move myself. The fella I hired for the appliances was nice and good I think. He's coming back tomorrow to finish up. Will need to spend even more $$$ for a garage door opener but c'est la vie.

Gotta go. Can't keep my eyes open and it isn't even 6 pm.

Hope to check in tomorrow.

ps Guess you know what my weekend plans are
Closed Thread