Old 02-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #1  

Default Not Hungry

Should I be worried that I'm not really hungry? For the last two days I've not been hungry as I approach meal time. I've been eating between 1200 & 1300 calories. I continue to eat about every three hours to try and ensure my metabolism doesn't bottom out. But, I'm worried that not feeling hungry is a sign that my metabolism is bottoming out. Any thoughts?
AJsMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #2  
Chuggin' along...

Do you exercise heavily? If so, I'd definitely add about 200 more calories/day. Then see where you go from there. Also, are you getting enough fat and protein in your diet?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #3  

I do exercise. But, I wouldn't characterize it as "heavy". I do elliptical for 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week and yoga once or twice a week. According to fit day, I'm getting about about 25-30% protein, 30-50% carbs and 20-30% fat. I think I'm eating the right kinds of food in the portions. Because I've noticed this in only the last two days (in fact I was starving all day Sunday), I'm not sure if there is a weight loss impact. Any other thoughts?
Old 02-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #4  

well u are taking in about 60% from fat and protein which can make u feel full on less and for longer periods of time, that could be a reason. u could be eating often enough, small meals often enought that hunger doesn't have time to creep back into ur pattern now. if u were taking in too few calories u would be hungry. As long as u don't go below the allowed calories for ur height, etc, u should not be lowering ur metabolism levels. U could eat a bit more to see what happens. REcall that symptoms of consuming too few calories (which I try to recall from memory) are lethargy, hunger feeling, dizziness, and lightheadness are probably the most common. If u feel ur energy levels have been lower for a long while, this is a sure first sign. REcall, if u have upped ur intake of water this also drives hunger away.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #5  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Could be you've changed something minor (perhaps more protein than usual?) or a little more exercise than usual (I find that actually suppresses my appetite sometimes) and that's the reason. I wouldn't worry about it too much, or force yourself to eat too much more than you want to on those days as long as you are close to your range. I tend to have a couple days of very little appetite after an especially heavy binge day, but I also have days where for no reason at all I'm really hungry all day. I guess it's something to do with signals in the brain that just aren't always right on. If you are getting your nutrients and your protein/carb/fat ratios look good I wouldn't worry about it at all. I think controlling myself on a hungry day is more difficult than the few relaxing no-appetite days I have
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #6  

Thanks for the input ladies. I'm not tired or lethargic. And, I do normally drink a ton of water (believe or not I love water). I guess I should just chill. It's funny that I'm more worried about being not hungry than hungry!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Our heads can mess with us, can't they? There are always ups and downs. As surely as you are not hungry right now, some other poor poster will be asking what to do because she's starving.
I once posted because I was still losing weight even though I'd gotten to my goal.
We do worry about weird things.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote