Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-02-2006, 08:10 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Thursday Chat - February 2nd

Good Morning,

How is everyone today ?

I'm sooooo sleepy...can't wake up

Hang in there kiddies, we're almost to the weekend. Anyone have plans?

How's the diet going... are you exercising?

I'm eating okay, exercise is slacking so I promised myself I would get back on the dreadmill Saturday after Aunt Flo is gone.

Whats a typical day of your eating plan? Lets see some examples please.

Mine would be:

B- Coffee, Oatmeal or Fruit
L- Salad, veggies
D- what ever I make for DH plus veggies
S- 100 calorie pack or what ever I can get my hands on
I Try like heck not to eat past 7 pm b/c thats how I got as big as I am.

Now mind you... the weekend is where I mess up my week and I'm not consistant but this is what I strive for.

you?
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Morning Leenie,

I am doing okay today. I started some progesterone cream last night and I slept sooooo good and feel amazingly mellow today.

I am exercising (cardio) for an hour 3x a week. I do 1/2 hour on the elliptical and then 1/2 hour on the treadmill. I really need to do more weights too..but I have been slacking on that. I dropped a few % in body fat and also BMI for the month of January so that is encouraging. I can also notice that I have lost a few inches. Who hoo!

My eating pattern is not ideal..sometimes not so healthy but I have been going to this 6 week (once a week) class at the Y and it is taught be a nutritionist..very helpful. Anyways.. I calculated that I can eat nearly 2,900 calories and maintain my weight..so part of the reason that I have been losing while being naughty sometimes is because of several reasons.. 1.) I am actively exercising, 2.) I am eating well more often than eating naughty 3.) Breastfeeding allows me 200-500 extra calories (or burns them if I don't eat that!) But..can't be 100% pure with our diets..it is okay to sample the not so nutritious stuff occasionally..just occasionally/ My sample menu is not what I always eat..occasionally I will binge on ice cream or have something else naughty, LOL

Sample menu for me..

B- Smoothie (frozen fruit, stevia+, and sometimes green goodness nutritional drink added)
oatmeal with 1 spoonful natural peanut butter

S- piece of fruit
string cheese

L- sandwhich (homemade wheat bread, low fat deli meat, pickles, lettuce, tomato, spicy mustard)
baby carrots
celery
grapes

S-pretzels
cottage cheese

D- chicken
green beans
pasta
mixed fruit

S- popcorn
diet soda
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Jenni the exercise is the key to weight loss, it really is. Your doing wonderful!!!! My diet is not always heathy as well, I do good during the week and the weekends are difficult b/c DH always wants to go out plus being home I graze more. Keep up the good work !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good morning gang

got my hair all trimmed up this morning.

Danielle - you asked if I was getting a new hairstyle - nah - just a trim. I don't know about ya'll but I have found a hairstyle that works for me so I have stuck with it for many years. I have naturally curly hair and I kind of have to let it do it's own thing anyway. I just take a flatiron to my bangs to calm down that craziness over my eyes but the rest if really really really wavy. Congrats on the exercise!!

Sweetpea - did anybody answer your question about hump day? lol that means "middle of the week" - ya know "over the hump and on your way to the weekend". No telling what "hump day" would mean on your end of the world. ;-)

Snoopysgirl - I wanted to respond to your post yesterday. I cannot tell you how many people have thyroid problems and describe the very things you are talking about during and after a pregnancy. I wanted to be sure that you see the info I have posted on the Depression Articles thread at:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...t=49146&page=3

I'm gonna copy of a little of it here so that you won't miss it. Sorry gang, if it makes this post long, but I want to be sure Snoopy gets to read it

"Scientists now consider thyroid hormone one of the major "players" in brain chemistry disorders. And as with any brain chemical disorder, until treated correctly, thyroid hormone imbalance has serious effects on the patient's emotions and behavior."

Sooooooooooo I just wanted to say that IT IS MOST IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE HAVE THEIR THYROID CHECKED BY HAVING THE FOLLOWING TESTS RUN:

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone from the pituitary gland)

FREE T3 (available active thyroid hormone)

FREE T4 (available storage thyroid hormone)

and the anti thyroid antibodies tests would also help
(TPO – Thyroid Peroxidase detects Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroid disease and Thyroid Antithyroglobulin)

Please have these tests run, if for no other reason then to simply rule out a thyroid hormone problem that is contributing to your chemical imbalance or will interfere with your recovery efforts.

Some doctors are reluctant to run the Free T3 and Free T4, and will want to simply run the old thyroid tests. THIS IS NOT SUFFICIENT and can be very misleading or miss the problem!

Request or beg or demand the Free T3 and Free T4, TSH and the anti thyroid antibodies tests. If you do not want to go thru a doctor or cannot afford to, you can order the tests (Comprehensive Thyroid Panel II and Anti Thyroid Antibodies) yourself at healthcheckusa.com It is very easy to do and then they will send you the paperwork in the mail for you to take with you to the nearest lab to draw your blood and you can look up your results online in a few days and also receive them in the mail.

If your Free levels are in the lower 1/3 of the range, it is possible a deficiency of thyroid hormone is causing your mental symptoms.

After the correct tests are done, if a low thyroid problem is found, it is most important that you be treated with Armour Thyroid, and not the synthetic drugs like synthroid, because Armour Thyroid contains BOTH T4 AND T3, and the others do not have T3. Some research indicates that T3 is needed especially for those with psychiatric symptoms such as depression.

Also on the TSH test - the ranges have changed and very few labs or doctors are recognizing the new lab ranges yet. The old TSH ranges were 0.5 to 5.5 and the new ranges have been changed to 0.3 to 3.0, so when you look at your TSH readings, (and I would ALWAYS GET COPIES OF MY BLOODWORK) be sure to keep in mind and tell your doctor about the new ranges. It is also very likely that the ranges will be changed soon to 0.3 to 2.0 - because there are those that feel that anything over 2.0 is hypothyroidism.

There are some that are only taking Armour Thyroid for their mental problems and are doing amazingly well and there are others, like my son, who needed 4 grains of Armour Thyroid a day before any meds would help him. He is now doing amazingly well and is taking 5 grains daily!

I also have a low thyroid problem and I am taking 5 grains of Armour Thyroid daily, so I definitely know the difference it has made for me also.

Snoopy - please let me know if I can help in any way.

ok this is long - I will answer Leenie in a seperate post.

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

hey leenie
nice topics!
I'm still not getting up early and walking like I should but I have absolutely got to get back to it.

a typical day of eating for me....
B - 2 cups coffee
honey nut cheerios or frosted mini wheats w/2% milk
or a homemade protein shake
S - fruit
L - 2 slices wheat bread w/turkey/lettuce/tomatoes
S - some 100-200 calorie snack
S - small portions of whatever I'm cooking for the guys w/ salad

I also don't eat after 7 and have 1 cf diet coke daily and try to get in at least 64 oz of water.

ok gang - I gotta get back to work - hope everyone has a blessed day.

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-02-2006 at 02:07 PM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #6  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi guys, I've not checked in for a while here... sorry for that, time seems to be limted...

I've been noticing by depression creeping back again from around December / January still on the same dose of Celexa for that but I've just reduced it to 20mg to see if I smaller dose might have a better affect. If it doesn't work then it will be back to my doctors.

I hope your all well!
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Thank you for posting about the thyroid. I suspect it may be out of whack a bit.. I mean, I have been either pregnant or nursing for over 7 years..that has to do a number on your hormones. I started some progesterone cream last night and I slept sooo much better and I have been feeling calmer and more able to tolerate things today. I had a dr. who tested my progesterone levels when I presented with those symptoms during pregnancy..my levels were off the charts low. I guess that there was some new research that low progesterone could lead to anxiety, depression, etc. I am going to give the progesterone cream (prepared by a compound pharmicist) a try for a month or two and see if I see results. I still think my thyroid is whacky but I am hoping that it will balance out ..I will keep that information though in case I need to get that testing and I will definately look into it further. Thanks for caring.
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:01 PM   #8  

Hi Gang! How's everyone today? I hope this finds you having a super afternoon.

Mazarin, I hope you will find what works for you for your Rx. I would love to lower my dosage of Effexor but I'm askeered of feeling icky again. I just hate taking all these pills. I had posted a couple days ago about thinking about switching, has Celexa done well for you before you lowered your dose? I just want to go in on Monday to the doc and have some info. BTW, it's great to meet you!

Cathy, hey I think you're pretty darn good so far! Your menu looks great. Exercise is such a hard thing to get revved up for, at least it was for me.
It's all a mind game and you just have to take the plunge I guess. But only when you're ready! I bet your new *do* looks fab! Feels good to pamper yourself, doesn't it? I've worn the same hairstyle since forever, I think possibly since I graduated high school. eek! I'm thinking that while I'm losing weight, I may just keep on growing it out completely and then when I get near goal, whack it off into some sexy, feisty lookin' haircut. I dunno, I might chicken out! I hope you're having a good day.

Snoopygirl, the results you are seeing from all your hard work is amazing! Be very proud of what you've accomplished so far. As for eating, well, I think we can all say we've been naughty. :wink: You sound like you've educated yourself to know what you want and where you want to be, you'll get there.
Remember, progress not perfection!! Ice cream is my one major downfall, I can't buy it anymore. Keep up the great work, you rock!

Leenie, are you awake yet? I woke up sleepy today too and I know I slept good. Must be anticipation for the weekend. No plans here besides SuperBowl watchin'. Otherwise I just plan on being a very good little girl and stay on track for my weigh in on Sun. I've exercised my buns off (I wish literally) this week! I can't believe it, I'm actually doing it. I hate exercise. Or at least I did! Let's hope it sticks.

typical menu:

B-coffee, cereal
S-fruit or yogurt
L-turkey sandwich on whole grain bread w/ veggies, fruit
D- whatever I make the family, just small portions.
S- popcorn, or more fruit, or pretzels

Girls, I've fallen and I can't get up! I was so excited yesterday to have gotten up in the a.m. to feel no soreness from all the exercise I'd been doing. I do my workout this morning and about half way thru it I went into a lunge and felt something pop in the front of my left thigh. After it happened, it didnt hurt, except for when I tried to do the lunges, so I just skipped that part and finished out the rest. Half hour later it was throbbing even when sitting still. Now when I walk pain is from my thigh to right under my left hiney-cheek. It is not a sore feeling, it's an oooowwwweeeyyy kinda pain. Just hate that this happened now. I am on such a roll with my workouts, I don't wanna think of having to stop for awhile. Hopefully it will feel better by the weekend? God forbid if something else is wrong with it besides a pulled muscle, I think I would cry. Otherwise, today has been another super day. It just feels really good to be in control of my food and feeling so good mentally. Now if only I could get the right Rx for the ADD I'd be all set! Just one good day of being able to have a quiet mind would be nice!

Ladies, have a terrific day and keep on shining!
desertdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:50 PM   #9  

Wink snoopysgirl...

hi everyone
wow what long and interesting posts today. friday here and i have lots to do before the weekend

snoopysgirl - the symptoms you described yday are classic anxiety symptoms. it could be related to post traumatic stress syndrome (ptsd) or you may have some type of anxiety disorder or even symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder if you have recurring thoughts (ie replay the same scenario over in your head). i have heard of women developing ptsd after traumatic births as well as from other major events.

i do a lot of the same things altho your symptoms are more exaggerated than mine. when i am out i imagine coming home finding my dog has escaped and been run over or someone has stolen her and i will be searching the streets endlessly searching for her. i often imagine people i know dying in car accidents or other tragedies. part of the reason i don't diet and eat properly is that i can never visualise myself living a long life so what's the point? i may as well just chow down on all the sweets and yummies because if the ship is sinking it won't matter if i'm sick or fat or whatever

but back to snoopysgirl. have you been "diagnosed" or are you under the care of a doctor? i would really like to encourage you to go see a doctor or a psychologist to look further into this. cognitive therapy that helps you look at your thoughts and learn ways to handle these thoughts so that they do not stress you.

the doctor will also be able to rule out physical conditions that are affecting these problems such as hormones etc etc.
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #10  

i meant to say on the progesterone cream that it is a controversial treatment. a lot of women swear by it and others say it is hogwash but if it works for you then all good. progesterone is one of the hormones that medications such as antipsychotics contain so i know it can be helpful. in my case progesterone led to problems. i had leaking breasts and my period stopped for several mths even after i stopped taking the pills

taking a break now and then i will come back and post all the rest of the stuff
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #11  

hi Mazarin - I hope you start feeling better soon, atlho I am sorry i didn't understand if the depression is increasing, why are you decreasing your Rx also is the increase in depression due to external factors (ie you have genuinely more things to be sad about) in which case it's not really a medical issue, but about managing what is going on around you, or is it due to no obvious reason?

desertdreamer - i am on efexor and have been on celexa in the past. meds are very individual due to the biochemistry of each person so what works for one may not work for others. also efexor is supposed to be better for anxiety or for people who have bipolar whereas my understanding is that celexa is slightly better for obsessive compulsive tendencies but also has a slight anxiolitic effect (sp?). there is a website that rates remedies that i find useful. you can go to www.remedyfind.com and then look at depression or anxiety or diabetes or whatever and see what experiences other people have had of meds. that was how i found out that the risperdal was responsible for my lactation/leaking breasts. it was a side effect that i had not been told about (surprise suprise)

will have to reply to the rest of you later. honestly i am having such a busy day sorting out my mother's legal problems. very stressed
Old 02-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #12  

from about.com

New Study on Over-The-Counter Progesterone Published
The hormone progesterone, commonly prescribed in women, is often used in hormone replacement therapy in postmenopausal women, and for the treatment of amenorrhea, infertility and premature labor. Past studies revealing the health risks of FDA–approved hormone replacement therapies -- which in some cases included oral progesterones and progestins -- have contributed to dramatic declines in prescriptions for these products. Unregulated natural progesterone continues to be available without a prescription, over-the-counter, in herbal creams formulas, however.

In a study recently published in The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (June 2005), researchers found

substantial evidence that use of topical progesterone cream results in similar drug exposure through skin absorption as that which results from taking a prescribed oral progesterone product.
The Bassett Healthcare supported study, led by Drs. Anne C. Hermann, Anne Nafziger and Joseph Bertino, consisted of twelve, healthy, post-menopausal women. Each subject was treated with topical progesterone cream (Pro-gest cream) in one phase and prescribed oral progesterone (Prometrium) in the other phase of the study. According to the results, there was no difference between the two groups in the amount of progesterone exposure in the body. The women involved in this study also experienced similar rates of adverse effects while taking each type of progesterone. This study differed from previous studies because of its use of more precise and advanced drug analysis methods, giving results that are accurate compared to previous studies with topical progesterone products.

Source: "Over-the-Counter Progesterone Cream Produces Significant Drug Exposure Compared to a Food and Drug Administration–Approved Oral Progesterone Product" Journal of Clinical Pharmacology

-------

In conclusion, regarding natrual progesterone treatment and soy issues, Sherill Sellman says:
The use of natural progesterone has been shown to be most helpful to women with mild symptoms of clinical hypothyroidism.
For many women, using natural progesterone along with committing to a healthy diet, using nutritional support, reducing stress and adding exercise is most effective.
A good quality natural progesterone cream is as effective as a compounded one.
It is now known that soy, in its unfermented forms, does have an inhibiting effect on the thyroid but it is also a very allergic food and hard to digest.
To regain hormonal balance and support thyroid function, one really needs to a commit to a healthy diet filled with adequate protein, essential fatty acids and good quality carbohydrates (mostly from fruits and vegetables) and to embrace a healthy life style filled with physical exercise, stress reduction, and a loving and supportive community of friends.

-----

patient ratings and side effects http://www.askapatient.com/viewratin...e=PROGESTERONE