Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #1  

Unhappy cardio with bad foot?

I was doing really well foir just starting out recently. got on the elliptical every day for two weeks for at least 20 minutes. then I injured my left foot and doc says something about injuring my tendons or something like that. he gave me a inflamitory pill to help which it has but there is still some pain just when walking on it.

so I've been keeping up with my 10 minute stability ball stomach and back workouts and have been doing some lifting for my arms but what can I do for calorie burning cardio? Is there anything I can do? I work out at home and have a stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical, home gym weight machine and stair stepper(dad is a fitness buff and bought it all ) but I can't seem to use any of it but the bike(for short periods) and the weights right now.

I haven't been able to do anything for a little over a week and even though I'm keeping my calories around 1200 to 1400 the scale is going in the wrong direction. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing enough lifting to be gaining muscle.

so I guess my question is if there are any sorts of in-home cardio I can do without using my foot to much to still burn calories?
sunstreeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #2  
Meg

Ouch! I think your best bet would be the bike. Your foot wouldn't have to be bearing your weight the way it would with the treadmill or elliptical. Have you tried it to see if it's painful? If you only can bike for a little while, maybe break it up into several 10 or 15 minute segments throughout the day.

Good luck! The good news is that the tendons will heal.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #3  

I've tried the bike and can do it for a few minutes before my legs start getting to tired out. I almost never use it so I have almost no endurance on it. I really HATE the bike guess I just have to suck it up and use it

stephanie
Old 02-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #4  
Meg

I hear you on the bike! It's not my fave either, but it's the only kind of cardio that I'm allowed to do while I'm recovering from shoulder surgery. So, yep, I'm sucking it up and doing it, like you said.

Try playing a game with yourself and go a little longer every day. Or break it up into smaller segments. Sure beats gaining weight!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #5  

Water jogging is an awesome cardio workout, and the cold water will act as an anti-inflammatory. Even swimming would be helpful. Good luck!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #6  

ah I wish I could go swimming. but I just don't have a babysitter. daughter is 15 months and I've only been able to go out by myself(single mommy) twice since she was born not counting when its for work. We have a indoor comm. pool just a block from our house but I'm afraid to bring baby out there only to find out she doesn't like it. I want to try this summer when she's a little older but last time we went to the pool she freaked out..

thanks for the idea though if only I could find a sitter.

stephanie
Old 02-01-2006, 03:22 PM   #7  

Did your doctor mention anything about icing it? Back in my athlete days I nearly tore my achilles, and was told to ice it every day, especially after exercise. I despised icing it, but it really helped (freezing water in dixi cups and then peeling away the top of the cup to expose the ice worked).

As for the bike....if it doesn't bug your tendons, think of getting better on the bike as an opportunity to get fitter...you'll also burn more calories doing an exercise that's more challenging for you. I used to hate the bike, but worked at it and now can go for an hour or two...when properly distracted by music, reading, or TV. ;-)
curvynfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:10 PM   #8  

Maybe you can do your cardio in smaller segments-maybe 10 minute blocks of time? Do 10 minutes on the bike, 10 minutes of weights, 10 minutes on the bike, etc. You certainly want to heal properly, so you don't want to overdo. Perhaps you could trade babysitting services with another mom you know-you watch her kids a couple times a week so she can do something, and she can watch your little one a couple times a week so you can swim.

Just a thought!
English_teacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I hurt my foot last year and was OK on the bike and swimming, so I guess I'd go along with most of the recommendations on here. Maybe look at it as an opportunity to up your endurance on the bike!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Or if the doc is only talking rest for a short time ... don't worry. Do upper body stuff, torso, core ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:25 AM   #11  

I injured a tendon in my foot last fall using a treadmill. I went to the podiatrist and he told me to ice it and take an anti-inflammatory, but he also warned me that it would take some time to heal -- it took about 6 weeks! I was able to do Leslie Sansone dvds after a week or so, but gently. The bike was the best though...I hate it but a book helps pass the time.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #12  

I sprained my ankle late last year (December 3rd to be precise). I stuck to bike and slowly added short sessions (3 minutes or so) of treadmill and cross trainer to start conditioning it, and I swum a lot too.

It's taken til now for it to be anywhere near right and it still hurts occasionally.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #13  

thanks for all the tips.. I still can't use it for much but have been getting on the bike, doing my stability ball tapes, and lifting.

6WEEKS? I don't think I can go that long. My doc said two and well see how it goes then. There is still some pain only very minor now, so not too long.

stephanie
Old 02-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #14  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

If it is just your Achilles tendon, you just need to lay off it for a few days. I had the same problem and I just did do any cardio exercise for four days. It was fine when I got back. Be sure to increase your exercise slowly, maybe your were putting too much strain on your tendon before.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #15  

Take your time and let your foot heal..Use the weights and work on your core..I'm dealing with a broken myself right now..So I understand your pain and frustration..Hang in there..
purplehefier is offline   Reply With Quote