Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone else doing WW with spouse, partner...

My husband and I joined WW on Saturday together. It's going to be a heft monthly expense for us, but the last time we tried to do it on our own, we gradually lost the momentum. Nothing keeps you accountable like paying cold, hard cash.

We each have about 200 lbs to lose. Wow! Sounds impossible, but I have to look at the next lb, not the 200th. Just wondering if anyone else out there is doing WW with their significant other.

Any tips, advice?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #2  

Hi! Last February I looked at my husband (After we'd BOTH just found out at separate Dr appts that we were even fatter than we thought we were.) and we said, "We have to lose weight." That night I got out my old 1-2-3 Success materials from sometime in the 90's and we started counting points. We've gotten newer materials since then, but still have never "officially" joined WW. They don't seem to mind when I go in and buy things from them though! So far DH has lost 50+ lbs and I've lost 79?, I'm updating my tracker today if I've lost any to do so. It's certianly easier with two when it comes to meals and eating out. We split one entree in the restaurants now - cheaper too! But it's annoying when he loses faster or more and I just know he eats more! Not to mention, it's easier to get tempted together...but hopefully one of us is the voice of reason! (For instance, we get Baklava from this wonderful international market every Saturday...but I insist we count it and he'd just ignore putting it in his mouth if it wasn't for me!) 200 lbs is NOT impossible. There are two ladies on the 300+ board who have lost close to or more than that amount. One lost 180 and is near goal, the other started at 599! and has a way to go still, but how inspiring is that!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #3  

My husband and I tend to be bad influences on each other, instead of good. We're really trying to change that, and in some ways the responsibility really falls on me, because my husband is very much willing to go along with anything I really want (including a late night taco run).

We went out for lunch today, and I was very happy with my choice of teriyaki chicken, though I was a bit nervous when I saw the humongous portion. Still, I was able to eat about a third of my meal and take the rest home (which I am going to freeze in two more lunch portions. David splurged a bit on a steak sandwhich (which will be fine if he budgets his points the rest of the day). He "wings it" a little bit more than I do, but if it works for him, I'm not going to nudge. Though I did put the snack chips he likes in
3 point bags to make portion control easier. I do that with grapes and other foods too, it helps keep us aware of how much we're eating.

I bought a lot of veggies and salad fixings and we've been eating frozen dinners during the week. David works nights, and when I was making dinner for us, I would get hungry and eat around 6:00 and then around 10:00 heat up dinner for him (and too often some for myself as well). We both eat alot less that way.

It's both easier and more difficult to do this together, though.

Colleen
Old 02-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #4  

My husband and I are doing this together. I go to the meetings and grab an extra food log for him. He has enough discipline to do it at home but I need to face that person at the scale!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:48 PM   #5  

I think my husband needs the meetings, even more than I do. A couple years ago when I persuaded David to go to WW with me (keep in mind that we each have 200 lbs to lose, give or take 20 lbs), he agreed to go "if it would help me." He always lost weight, saying that he was not going to pay the weekly fee and not lose weight, and he even participated in groups, but he was such a whining baby about it, that I eventually agreed that he could follow it at home, while I went to meetings.

Without the competition/incentive, he stopped losing. When we moved to Wisconsin, I didn't seek out a local WW group, though I did lose about 40 lbs in the last year. His knees have gotten so bad (and he works such a strenuous job) that he really needs to get the weight off. Even if the weight loss doesn't improve his pain level, when it finally comes to knee replacement, the weight loss will extend the life of the "new" knees.

At least this time, he is a little more willing to accept that there is as much in this for him as for me, though he is having a lot harder time sticking to program than I am. Though this is only the first week, and I've had a lot more practice at food programs than he has.

Colleen
Closed Thread