Old 01-31-2006, 04:12 PM   #1  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

Default Too much water?

I just had a coworker tell me that drinking too much water can make you gain weight temporarily, even if your sodium level is low. Anyone heard of that before? I drink between 1 to 1.5 gallons of water each day, so I hope this isn't true.
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #2  

Yes, water will make you gain weight temporarily ... if you step on the scale after drinking some.

Where do people get this stuff?
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #3  
A 6'1" Amazon and Proud!!

I know - I think she's crazy. She was acting as though water was a bad thing! Sure, if I eat a lot of salt, I'll retain water but just upping my water intake can't be bad!
suzisonthemovetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Huh

Wait, I though if you ate a lot of salt and drank a lot of water, then that would flush the excess sodium out, not make you retain it . I don't know!
MiaManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

Hmmm - I drink 4.5 litres per day (a gallon) and I've been losing steadily since July. As a matter of fact, the weeks where my water intake is not as high, I gained weight. I don't have any articles to back me up or anything but I remember reading that water helps in weightloss. Sorry I can't offer any more substantial information.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:47 PM   #6  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Holy moly! If I drank that much water a day I'd have to direct my co-workers to look for me in the loo with a laptop on my knees!
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:48 PM   #7  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Im not a very good source either but the two day's I took off this weekend i did not drink hardly as much water as during the week and i could tell big time i was weaker had no energy and eating everything in site I also put on a pound durning the weekend but upped my water intake before my weigh in on monday and lost 4lbs! so I know water's good for the soul! lol just thought i'd share! ~ Kim
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #8  
DNR
Determined Woman

Default Never Heard of This

I've never heard this before. The only time I've ever heard of water making you gain weight is when you are retaining water at TOM or sodium can make you retain - then, of course, you would gain.

I have heard (not sure how true it is) that your body tends to retain water if you don't drink enough fluid to fight off dehydration. That makes more sense to me than what your co-worker is saying.

But, I'm no expert . . .

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM   #9  

I guess that's where all my weight gain came from. I've always loved water. [/end sarcasm]
honey-dipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:55 PM   #10  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
Yes, water will make you gain weight temporarily ... if you step on the scale after drinking some.
A gallon of water weighs 8.33 pounds...not that you'll ever drink that much at once...
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:17 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Calories make you gain weight. How many calories are in a gallon of water again...?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 PM   #12  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Actually, you phsyically CAN drink too much water, to the point you will get kidney poisoning. But......you would have to drink several, several gallons in a day, more than anyone is ever likely to drink. I think that a good rule of thumb is to try not and drink more than 10 liters (which is a helluva lot).
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #13  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Also, any (marathon) runners out there might want to aprise themselves of the current literature regarding long distance running and water consumption. There are more warnings coming out about drinking too much water while running, it actually (in this instance) can lead to too much pressure in the skull and cause death. There was a NYT Science Times article on it last year as well as an HBO RealSports story on it. If you or anyone you know is a marathon runner, I would look into this.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:23 PM   #14  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiedarling
Hmmm - I drink 4.5 litres per day (a gallon) and I've been losing steadily since July. As a matter of fact, the weeks where my water intake is not as high, I gained weight. I don't have any articles to back me up or anything but I remember reading that water helps in weightloss. Sorry I can't offer any more substantial information.

~Dee
Same here!! If I don;t drink as much water I gain weight too and lose more when I drink lots of water!
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 PM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica
Actually, you phsyically CAN drink too much water, to the point you will get kidney poisoning. But......you would have to drink several, several gallons in a day, more than anyone is ever likely to drink. I think that a good rule of thumb is to try not and drink more than 10 liters (which is a helluva lot).
She is right.

I have drank 10 liters in a day before. But you must remember, I am on medication that MAKES me drink, and I was told I would die if I didn't get enough water.

I sneak in juices & decaf beverages occasionally, but right now am drinking a gallon or two per day.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote