The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-31-2006, 06:56 AM   #1  

Talking Protein/Carbs/Fat

Hi Guys,
I just need a little guidance following the program in Jillians book. Basically it says im a fast oxidiser and need 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs a day but im finding this really difficult to fit into an eating plan as everything has carbs in, veg, yoghurt, everything! Its so frustrating! Does anybody have any tips?
Thanks
Mel X
Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Try tracking stuff in www.fitday.com as long as it averages out ok, then you'll be fine! But yikes! 50% protein is a lot! I never manage that! You might want to try some protein powder, Holland and Barrat has a big 1kg tub for £9.99 instead of the usual £21.99. It's quite nice

Oh and you'll want to start eating lots of chicken and cottage cheese. Lean pork and bacon medallions or lean and low bacon are very good sources of protein too with hardly any carbs in.

I wouldn't get too hung up on getting your ratios exactly right either, just aim for what you can within your likes/dislikes.

I've just ordered that book from Amazon, it came yesterday and I have yet to flick open the pages - too busy exercising! I guess that's a good thing!

Oh yeah and try to cut down your startchy carbs, like bread and pasta and white potatoes, try getting your carbs from veg and fruit and oats and grains and brown rice.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

tuna, egg whites
Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 AM   #4  

Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #5  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I think by meaning only 20 carbs per day......it would be the carbs from veggies/fruits vs white starchy products. Vegetables/fruits usually have a much lower glycemic food index while all the refined white flours, white rice, white potatoes etc....have a really high index. If you must have some flour products.....I would make them a whole wheat (whole grain) kind. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #6  

Mel,

Hello to you!

First and foremost, you can eat Carbs!! If you are taking in 1300 calories per day, you can take in 65 grams of carbs per day (which would account for 20% of your calories coming from carbs).

Good high-protein, low-carb choices include:

* Low-fat cottage cheese (1 serving has 5 g carbs. 14 g protein)
* 4 oz Turkey breast on low-carb, whole-wheat bread with mustard, lettuce, tomato
* Fish and vegetables
* Chicken and vegetables
* Sashimi
* Homemade chili (go light on the beans, or no beans at all)

As angel-eyes pointed out, you want to stay away from white flour products and very starchy choices - such as potato's. Your Carbs should come from fruits and vegetables. I treat myself to one sandwich a day, using a low-carb whole wheat bread that has only 6 grams of carbs per slice, but is high in fiber.

Best to you!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #7  

Wow, thanks guys! You all know so much!

Im really struggling with my diet atm...its SO difficult! :| Any tips for staying on track?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #8  
Tekken-Style

(I'm sorry I'm so wordy, y'all. Apologies.)

1.) Avoid temptation like the plague. Seriously. I'm on the same plan as you (50p-30f-20c) and the only minor lapses I've had are because the place I get take out from left toast on my plate or b/c it's what relatives were cooking and wouldn't hear of me not eating any. (Damn enablers)

2.) This probably isn't the best thing to do, but if it helps keep you on the plan longer, it may help. I've basically found something off every single menu of every place I've routinely ate out at that I could have without sabotaging the plan. A 1/4 lb burger with no buns with tomatoes. A salad. Grilled chicken breast with eggs and tomato slices at, of all places, Waffle House. It's still not the best plan in the world, but it takes some of the initial shock of the diet off.

3.) Try easing yourself into it. I don't know how long you've been on the plan, but I've been on it for three weeks now. In the first week, I put my foot down and ended my 5 Mountain Dews per day habit and started drinking Diet Dr. Pepper. In that same week, I eliminated white bread, rice and potatoes. The past two weeks, I've been trying to keep everything in the proper ratio and experimenting with food more. (I've recently discovered I love baby raw spinach ... I always thought I hated spinach)

4.) Mental photograph of who you want to be. Maybe one of what you don't want to be. Everytime I go to the soda machine, I picture Chastity Bono's face on the Mountain Dew button and Jillian's on the diet selections. I'm sad, I know. But it works for me. It may do the same for you.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #9  

I believe the best advice you can get is to not let yourself get hungry. Eat some form of lean protein every 2 - 3 hours. It's much easier to make healthy eating decisions when you're not famished.

Other than that, it's really mind over matter. Before you eat something, think about what the consequences are. If you're making the right choices, the consequences are all good
Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #10  

Bonnie Lass - how much weight have you lost so far following Jillians plan? Im starting properly tomorrow and am buying some protein mix so i can have some protein with every meal, even if its just for a snack. Have you tried it at all?

Its all so confusing, lol!
Old 02-03-2006, 04:55 PM   #11  
Tekken-Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiple
Bonnie Lass - how much weight have you lost so far following Jillians plan? Im starting properly tomorrow and am buying some protein mix so i can have some protein with every meal, even if its just for a snack. Have you tried it at all?

Its all so confusing, lol!
I've been doing Jillian's plan for about 3 weeks now and I've lost something like .... 6.5 lbs, give or take. I've also been *way* bad about the workout part, due mainly to my horrific schedule as of late.

As for protein shakes, I've not tried them yet, but be careful of what kind of milk/juice you add to them. Even though it's a protein shake, you still need to be cafreful of the fat & carbs you may be adding.

Good luck with the plan!