Old 01-31-2006, 03:58 AM   #1  
Big Ol' loser

Default Not getting it together...

I know 3 people in weight watchers. All of us started at the same time, me, my mother and a coworker (I didn't know her until we met at a meeting.) All of us are struggling in the worst way. I did lose this week and I have been following points again. But its like this game. I keep waiting for the motivation to click back in but I feel like life is so hectic and so much is going on that I'm doing good to do what I can. I had such wonderful motivation at first, I had a drive and a want for it to work this time and it has slowly gone back to how hard this is. I am hoping to get the 4 lbs from Christmas off, I've got 1 lb left to lose and I know I can do it. I've been looking for inspiration from every where I can. There is no click though.

I guess the positives are:

I'm still doing it, even if its not perfect. I told myself in August, 'do it until February' and I have no desire to quit so I can definetly see me sticking this out.

I'm hoping spring will bring a new motivation and I won't be looking back with regret saying 'why did I quit in January'. I'll be proud I didn't give up because I could gain it all so quickly! (Christmas is proof of that)

There is a definite change in my grocery list and I am watching portions still.

I drink more water than ever

More energy for sure- I'm able to come home clean house, play with the kids, and cook dinner. normally it was just one of those! And it wasn't cooking and cleaning!

I made a change to take care of myself always trying to look nice, taking care of skin, new make up, new good smelling stuff and I do it still!

I can't ignore that my life is pretty full right now with personal issues -I see we all have them. And that maybe its okay that I am aware of the struggle and know there will be a better time to be able to do more. Lately my posts are in the middle of the night because I can't sleep anymore. Which throws my 'planned' schedule off. Anyway enough excuses...I have a ton and could blame it on anything and everything that is getting me down.

If I find myself sitting on the couch I can just go to the gym. Even if its only a quick 30 minute cardio- its exercise!

I can concentrate on my goal again- which I never did reach -30lbs. I'm almost there.

Work those fruits and veges back in again.

I can remind myself there is no time frame on this journey.
goalnorolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 AM   #2  
One pound at a time...

Liz, I am in the same position as you are right now, struggling to find the "click". I had it briefly at the beginning of the year, but one thing has led to another and I struggle. Pat yourself on the back that you are keeping at it. One of the long term maintainers (Beverly-boiby) probably can attest to they have good days and bad days, and really it never does end. I know for me I will always have to continue, and there will be good and bad days. One thing I am not going to do is stop, for me that will be what will trigger the backslide. Chin up, you will get there.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:36 AM   #3  
Big Ol' loser

Sorry you are struggling too- but its good to know I'm not completely lost on this!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  

UGHHHHH. I can so related to this thread. I was just getting back into the swing of things and now I'm sidelined with a foot injury. But I decided that I was going to do better with my eating, if nothing else.

I've been on a bit of a free fall since the first part of November when the relatives started arriving. I have gained 5-7 lbs. in 3 mos., which for me, is great! I normally would have gained 12-20 lbs. back, so I guess a small gain is a success.
TakinBabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #5  
Downsizing Dee!

Even if you don't have your "click" yet, it's good that you keep right on going. I lost the click as well and I never really got it back the way I had it in the beginning. For me, that's ok. Actually I think I'm in a maintainers mindset. I'm doing what I have to do because that's what I need to do to succeed. If I get that "A-ha" moment again, great - if not I'm still working away at it.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:00 AM   #6  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Feelings are a fickle thing. It's kind of like in marriage, the warm fuzzy love feeling is not always going to be there. So what do you do? Leave because you don't love that person? No you make a choice to say I know I love this person whether the feelings are there or not. The same goes for your diet. You don't feel like doing this you have lost your click. However in your mind you know this is what is good for you so you choose to continue with what you know is right.

The point is you can't live by your feelings. You have to think it through and do what you know is right. The feelings won't always be there but we all know right from wrong.

Keep up the good work I know you can do this.

Last edited by howie6267; 01-31-2006 at 11:05 AM.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #7  
Big Ol' loser

Takin- I know what you mean. A small gain is better than any large gain that I normally would've had. I guess its good that I'm not gaining the 25 lbs plus back right now and just slow and steady.

New- you are steadily moving along and doing a great job! I hope that I am soon in one-derland with you!

Howie- how right you are. Like they say marriage is work and I think its because sometimes you have a click and sometimes you don't but it doesn't mean you give up. That gives me new perspective. I am in a really good click right now in my marriage-maybe thats why I'm eating so much Hopefully I'll be able to look at my weight issues with the same clarity.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #8  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

Just wanted to say that you are on the right track, Liz. You are looking at the positive effects that your efforts have had on your life. Keep it up!
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #9  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Hang in there Liz! I've had a couple of down weeks myself--I've been sidelined with compressed nerves in both my legs so had to take a complete break from exercise. I've been less than stellar on the food count, but amazingly have managed to eek out .5 pound losses each week this has been going on. I sort of think of it as a shift from a real "losing" mode to "maintenance" mode too.

The MOST important thing I'm learning this time around is to NOT "fall off the wagon" because I have a bad meal, or a bad day. It is the big picture that counts and for any person--thin or fat--it is how a week or a month works out that affects that bigger picture.

Just a little food for thought--have you considered if WW is the right approach/plan for you? It didn't work for me, but that's not really why I'm suggesting something else. I think one of the things that's clear in reading the boards here is that each of us is unique and people "click" with different approaches to their diet (and I don't mean "diet" as something you go on and then get off of....it is a way of eating and living for the rest of your life). Some people like to count points, some calories, some low carb, etc. For me, I feel at home and in control counting calories because when I'm having a low motivation day, I can think about what I'm eating in terms of "if I eat x calories, I'm contributing to my weight loss this week" but "if I'm really without any motivation or willpower right now, I can eat this much more AND KNOW THAT I WILL MAINTAIN/NOT GAIN weight". It's just MY perspective on it. And it allows me to move back and forth easier in the "clicked in" versus "not clicked in" times. It fits my lifestyle and my philosophy on weight loss/maintenance. Maybe WW isn't the best possible fit for you and that's contributing to the motivation situation--maybe you're a South Beach chick, or Nutrisystem, or Calorie Queen, or plain old calorie counter. Anyway, just my two cents.

Tracy
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #10  

I too wish we could just "bottle up" those aha! feelings..when everything just feels too good we even question ourselves why we never did it before, or what had taken so long. I feel for you...believe me, your not alone.

I did not prepare last night for todays meals, I woke up late..skipped lunch because the temptations were too big, emotional day, am screamin in my head that it's ok I skip the gym tonight, ended up eating a bagel that I swore off at 8 this morning, sitting at my desk, feelin those feelings. I wish I could hire someone who could handcuff me to them and dragg my big a$$ to the gym before I end up driving right by it and goin home to make myself a meal that will "make me feel better" which am sure you all know I will be crying about tomorrow. I KNOW I will feel better if I go refill my water, go to the gym and cook a nice healthy meal. I know I will....so why is the "inner fat chick" screamin at me, that "It's all good..one day off won't kill me".

Somedays are hard, and some are harder.
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:38 AM   #11  
Big Ol' loser

Weight watchers is good for me because it makes me accountable. I wouldn't watch what I ate at all, wouldn't have gotten back on track if I wasn't needing to weigh.
I picked weight watchers because it fits with my family menu and I can eat whatever I want. Its basically just like calorie counting - they just assign points to everything. I'm not limited and I need that
I just think I need a kick in the rear!