Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 AM   #1  
Gotta Lose it!!

Default Help .. Fruits!

Heya Everyone,

Yes.. I'm here again.. lol! I read the book, as u guyz suggested.. was really impressed. Have tried Atkin for ONLY 1 day this month (about 5-6 times). On the second day.. I jus start carving "Fruits".

I really wanna start and stay on Atkins.. but its jus not working.. I dont know why :|

I have no clue what to do.. ? Did any of u ladies had that problem.. ? And how did u change ur habits?

Thanks.
Livenlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 AM   #2  
Going to ONEderland

I usually start small. I allow a day or two to really get into the program. And I allow fruits. (Not always at the very beginning, but once I'm going good). I just limit the amount, and the type. Berries are pretty low in carbs, if you limit the amount you can still have some. Who says you have to be on "induction" level? It does help to start at that level of carbs, your body gets into ketosis faster, and if you can hang, it is good to go there first. But if not having any fruit is preventing you from doing low carb altogether, then start at a higher level of Atkins and eat a few berries. Just don't go with the higher sugar fruits.

I've been making berry smoothies using frozen blueberries for quite some time now and I've still managed to lose 18 pounds since the 12th of last month.

Of course, I limit a lot of other things too. I limit quantities, because when I am eating high protein foods I'm not as hungry. So I eat a protein lunch with a berry smoothie and later on I eat dinner which is mostly a meat mixed with some low carb veggys. I don't eat much when on this WOL, so I'm sure calorie restriction is somewhat responsible for my losses as well as carb reduction.

What works for one doesn't always work for someone else though, so you might have to experiment and see if you can do it and still have a small amount of fruit or not. Like I said it would be better to wait until the sugar cravings are out of your system before adding in berries. That usually takes about 3 or 4 days. The 2 week induction period is good for getting a head start on weight loss, but not everyone starts at that level.

For me? I don't really count the carbs, I just make sure that every item I eat is lower in carbs, except for an occasional higher carb item. By higher carb, I mean something like a "wrap" (low carb tortilla) for a sandwich.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:46 AM   #3  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Sherry I agree with you especially with some thing so healty. but the first few days should be a low carb as you can. try taking some chromimum that is supposed to be good with holding back the cravings try to take one morning and one about mid afternoon to help with the evening cravings possibly as you are leaving work.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #4  
Gotta Lose it!!

Thank u ladies
I'll try my best to stay away from fruit for first three days.. more likely during the induction phase.
One more thing.. when I "tried" to be on Atkins for one day.. the highest number of cals I was able to take were about 800-900. I understand that I should be taking more.. but i jus can't make it.. I mean, I get like "FULL".

Also.. I never took vitamins before.. but I wonder if I should take Multivitamin or not (during induction..?). And if I should.. should I take one in the morn n one during night (< I read this somewhere on this forum) or jus one after dinner or something (as it says on the box of tablets)?

Thanks once again for helping me.. I m really looking forward to start from tomorrow.
Livenlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:17 PM   #5  
Going to ONEderland

I sometimes take multi-vitamins and sometimes don't. The way I eat Atkins it is really the healthiest most balanced way I could eat, I'm sure I get most everything I need from the food I eat. The only thing I would suggest you take at the beginning is potassium. Potassium levels can get depleted during the first few weeks of Atkins (or any low carb diet). The reason that happens is that when you aren't eating carbs, you don't hang onto as much water, so you will have an initial water weight loss that will be kind of dramatic on the scale. That water leaving your body can cause potassium loss.

After the initial water loss, potassium levels out and you don't have to take it every day. Some people (who aren't supplementing minerals) will get leg cramps at night while lying in bed. Potassium will help that. Calcium and magnesium might be good to take too, but mostly that's about it.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #6  
Baby Steps

You might want to look at what you are eating and your carb count. You want to make sure you eat enough so your body doesn't go into starvation mode..just not enough to make yourself feel stuffed. I should be taking vitamins but I forget. When I remember, I take them in the morning. Not sure if there's a difference in when you take them though.
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #7  
Susan hockeyfan7

I take a multivitamin every day. I have to have one that's gluten free, so I use the Spring Valley Natural brand.

I also take glucosamine at my doctor's recommendation for my knees. I take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement as well. I also take flaxseed capsules.

I used to take potassium, but then my blood doctor who was fixing my anemia said the pills don't work well and get it from food instead. So I quit with that one.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote