Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:54 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Am I being a complete moron?

OK, here's the deal...

Eating 5/6 meals a day. Do all those meals have to be balanced 40P 40C 20F?? So if I had a meal that was all fruit... then that wouldn't be a proper balanced meal?

Is this where I'm going wrong? Does it matter that I may have a carb heavy meal in the form of fruit, then a protein shake as a meal later on?

Oh and also, is a carton of yoghurt a protein or a fat portion?

Thanks in advance!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #2  

It probably is best to break up your protein consumption over several meals, but I don't think you are doing anything terribly wrong.

I always considered the ratios to reflect end of the day totals.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 AM   #3  
Meg

Like Robert said, I think what counts is the big picture at the end of the day. You could drive yourself trying to perfectly balance every meal.

I try to eat some protein at each meal simply because protein is what keeps me full the longest -- and I hate being hungry! An all-carb meal - like only fruit - would have me gnawing my arm off two hours later. Some of my meals are protein only, like a shake, but most have some carb with the protein, whether it's fruit, veggie, or some kind of starchy complex carb.

I think of yogurt as being pretty much a carb (due to the milk sugars), but it's going to vary a lot from brand to brand and whether it has sugar or fruit added and if it's FF or 2% or whatever.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

Phew! I'm glad it's not such a big deal! I used to think only fruit would have me gnawing my arm off too! But today it seems to have kept me happy! Horses for courses I guess! I tend to graze for a couple of my meals, like have an apple, then next half hour have some cherries, then next hour or so the grapes. Oh and I just checked out my yoghurt and it's 20% p, 60% c and 20% fat, so I guess it's not tooooooo bad but probably still a carb!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Ooops, posted when you did, frus.

I'm with the other two. Balance it up at the end of the day. You could go stark, staring mad trying to get it right meal by meal, and you could also miss out on some very nice food opportunities! Not worth it. You've got your mental health and taste buds to consider.

But I also have protein at each meal. It keeps me full and I like the idea of my body being continually topped up with something that can help me build muscle and heal my cuts and grazes. And I also have some kind of carb at each meal (but not junk/processed carbs). Come to that, I have good fat at each meal too!

BTW, for what it's worth, I don't think you're going wrong. You're collecting information about what works for you.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:15 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
I tend to graze for a couple of my meals, like have an apple, then next half hour have some cherries, then next hour or so the grapes.
Do you do this on a daily basis? I find that on weekend when I may tend to do this kind of eating I am ravenous all the time. I too need and now crave protein at mostly every meal.... Just my 2 Cents...

Like Silver said: "BTW, for what it's worth, I don't think you're going wrong. You're collecting information about what works for you." Right-on Silver!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:50 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

I just graze at work and mainly in the morning. I don't feel too hungry with it really! Especially when I have a huge breakfast! But grazing at the weekend drives me crackers!