South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #1  

Default Off topic/need advice

Hi, Ladies. I haven't been around lately, between leaving my job, and starting school, but I have been lurking. So I apologize for popping back in unannounced, but I was hoping that someone might have some advice for me.

I just found out on Friday that my friend's mom has a very serious form of stomach cancer. We don't know if it has spread yet. They are obviously shocked. She is a very young woman, with two sons. She is the rock of her family, and they are just trying to deal with it.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice, tips, recommendations for websites, chat rooms, books, anything that I can read, give to the family, anything at all that might help us get a handle on the situation. We don't have any idea where to start, no clue what might be coming at us, no idea what to be prepared for. Any information would be amazing, in terms of any medical treatments, legal issues, insurance tips- I would just really appreciate it.

I know that this is so so off topic, but I also know how knowledgable and caring you all are, and I hope the moderators don't mind too much. If it is a problem, then I apologize in advance.

Obviously, please feel free to email me. Thanks again, ladies.
kvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:22 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Check with her hospital or doctor. I am sure there is all sorts of support available in her area.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

The NIH-NCI (National Institutes of Health-National Cancer Institute) has tons of free information both online and that you can order covering all sorts of topics. I frequently order information for friends who have been diagnosed with cancer.

https://cissecure.nci.nih.gov/ncipubs/

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #4  
Who needs sleep?

There are sure to be support groups available - her doctor's office or the hospital should have information on what's in the area.

I hope she gets well soon. It's tough on everyone - I know. We've had several family members with assorted cancers in both my family and DH's. Just let them know you're there to help, and keep offering to do little things to ease their burden - shopping, vacuuming, things like that. They will surely appreciate it.
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #5  

Default thanks

I just wanted to thank you. She isn't really the type to go to support groups- and yes, I have strongly encouraged it. I am hopeful that someone from MA with some first hand knowledge of hospitals, and drs. etc. might be able to help me.

But thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions! I really appreciate it.

K.
kvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #6  
Who needs sleep?

Even if /she/ isn't willing to seek out support groups, her family might still want to. It may help them to talk to other families who are going through the same ordeal.
H-ko is offline   Reply With Quote