Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 09:42 AM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking Everday Exercisers ~ Week of July 16th!

Welcome to Everyday Exercisers -- a weekly thread that focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goals are to stay active, stay hydrated, and make healthy eating choices. We share our exercise plans for the week, and check in each day to share our progress...and our set-backs. Here you'll find a supportive and encouraging environment in which to pursue your fitness goals, and a community of people who share your commitment to fitness and provide motivation and inspiration to each other. Welcome!
Old 07-16-2001, 09:53 AM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Good morning! I hope that you all had a good weekend!

It sounds like a very ambitious plan that you're embarking on, Morrigan! Congrats on being so brave! And I'm really glad that you and your pt worked this out! And please don't feel anything but thrilled about your "streak"! Even if it's not all "optimum" exercise, it's still a great deal better than nothing! I'm proud of you!

Stamper, you are soooo strong! I can't even imagine "wasting" all that whipped cream! Seriously though, it was a good way to cut back on the fat/cals, and still have that treat... mmmm... coffee and kahlua! Actually on Saturday, we were at a birthday party for dh's boss, and I had a small cup of coffee with a little drop of baileys in it, and it was great! I've pretty much given up drinking since we started TTC, so it was even more of a treat!

Saggy, , sounds like your dh owes you big! I'd extract large punishments if I were you! You know, housecleaning, laundry, cooking, plus a good massage!! The things we do for men!

As for me, I had a pretty good weekend, although I didn't get much of a chance to relax! Friday night, I sweated buckets at Curves! Then off for a nice dinner and quiet evening at home.... Saturday, off to the city for some shopping, then to dh's boss' birthday party for the evening... we got home pretty late, so Sunday was a sleep in day (all the way to 9 o'clock!!!) Then I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning house.

This week is looking fairly good, here's my plan:
Today: Curves, yoga
Tuesday: swimming, Curves
Wednesday: swimming, Curves
Thursday: swimming (no Curves because I'm in a farmer's market for the small business I run)
Friday: swimming, Curves

Talk to ya later!
Old 07-16-2001, 10:13 AM   #3  

I've had the most stressful couple of days I've ever had. I've been traveling too much, eating too much, crying too much and exercising too little. I'm going to try to get back in the swing of things now that I'm back at work. I know I couldn't gain a substantial amount of weight in that time, but my skirt is fitting a little tighter than I'd like. I'll drink a bunch of water today so I can hopefully get out some of this water weight.

Even with all of this stress, I haven't been smoking. I had a few drags last Friday night and realized that I didn't want to start smoking again. So, I am back on program with everything. It's hard when I've been on such an emotional roller coaster. My husband will be out of town for the next month or so, which really sucks. I do have more "me" time though. I will be able to get in some extra exercise hopefully. I will be working my usual 40 hours here this week, plus my agency is moving to the hospital. They are contracting me out to paint in preporation for the move. All the rooms have to be repainted because this wing of the hospital hasn't been used for a while. It is the old OB unit. Also, I start working at the video store soon. That will be mostly weekends. If I keep myself busy, then I won't miss DH as much. OK, I'll miss him as much, but I won't have as much time to dwell on it.

I have to go to Minneapolis on Friday. It's an eight hour drive, but I get to go with my mom which will be nice. I have a conference there for rural health. We've decided to turn it into a mini vacation. Shopping is always a good way to get unstressed! Especially when there is no sales tax.

I hope to get a good workout in tonight. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:14 AM   #4  

Thanks for starting the new thread Marvin! Glad to hear you got back to Curves!

Stamper: That was great thinking ahead for your trip to Applebee's! Good planning for obstacles! And I'm impressed that you gave up the whipped cream too! You are making great choices! Sounds like you've been getting in lots of exercise too! Three cheers! And isn't it nice how other people's progress can keep us inspired? Teamwork!

Morrigan: Your plan sounds great!! I think it's wonderful that you've been so consistent with your exercise, and it's great that you're looking to up the intensity -- it's a great head start before you have to head back to school and probably cut back on your workout time. Then you'll be ready to compensate for the reduced time with higher intensity workouts, and it won't hurt a bit! And TWO hours in the gym?! You've gone hardcore! You go girl!

Saggy: Your hubby definitely owes you big time! Hope you got in your workout yesterday, and that stroll in the park sounds great!
Old 07-16-2001, 10:17 AM   #5  

Whoops! Cross posted!

Meredith! I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time!! It must be horrible to have to be away from your husband for so long! And it sounds like you're having a crazy time at work too! My heart goes out to you -- I hope things get better for you soon! Best wishes + my sympathies.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:32 AM   #6  

Forgot my update!
Thurs: got my workout in in the morning, went out w/the girls that night. Actually did a fairly good job staying within goals, considering. I think I only went 100-200 cals over my goal, which I'm thankful for on a Night Out.

Friday: had to go for my colposcopy, which was a joy. Luckily, it was my scheduled rest day anyway. Bought a bunch of fruit on my way home, and actually ended up eating fairly well for the rest of the day, despite the pizza for dinner.

Sat: Spent the day w/DH and a friend of ours who's going to Germany for a few months -- didn't get to the gym, and ate TERRIBLY. I had even brought healthy snacks with me, since we were supposed to go to a baseball game, but we didn't, and by the end of the evening I'd had too many chips + too many beers.

Sun: DH + I dragged ourselves to the gym, and ate pretty well. I did a full body weights day, and upped poundage on a few exercises, so I was feeling pretty good. DH, on the other hand, hadn't been to the gym for a few days AND had overindulged the night before -- so he was one sorry boy on the elliptical. I also had a goofy moment of pride -- I saw my arms when I was using the pec fly, and it was really neat -- I could see the dividing line of my biceps muscle! Woo hoo!

Today: Up and at 'em for Cardio Day. Tired this morning and the AC in my gym wasn't working, so I only did 25 minutes of intervals(before cooldown) on the elliptical crossramp. I'm adding some extra fruit into my day this week, since I feel like I'm not getting enough fruit/veggies during the week -- blueberries in my pre-workout cereal, on strawberries/blueberries for my morning snack. Hope to stay very much on goal this week to "make up" for my bad Saturday.

And final news: weighed in again on Friday, after my auspicious Thurs. weigh-in -- and came in at 148! Checked it again on the doc's scale, and it's accurate! Now I can't weigh myself again for at least a week, since it's PMS/TOM week, and I know I'll only bother myself with the fluctuations.

Tomorrow's Weights Day!
Old 07-16-2001, 11:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Thanks for all of the encouragment everyone! It certainly is easier to justify spending 2 hours at the gym when I have no job and no kids. I am in awe of all the moms out there that still find time to work out. I am actually very lucky. Our gym has free day care, so when I do have kids I won't have an excuse not to go.

I got up this morning and it was raining - so I wasn't exactly looking forward to riding my bike into town. My DH had to be in town at 5:30 - so I had him give me a ride and drop me off at the gym. I worked out for an hour and 45 minutes. 25 minutes on the stairmaster, 20 minutes on the recumbant bike, 5 minutes walking, 10 minutes stretching, and the rest weights. My muscles were so sore from Saturday that I had to lower my weight on the 3rd set of 12 in order to lift them. My body feels nice all over - I am so glad I have been putting in time alottments for stretching. I bought a watch last week (haven't had one in years) and I set the timer for 1 minute and make sure to hold each stretch that long. I may up it to 2 minutes pretty soon. I still have PT to go for my knee today. That is another 1.5 hours of working out, but just for my right leg. At the gym I only do weights for my left leg, since my right leg gets covered at PT.

I set up a page that I am going to record my workouts on at http://members.tripod.com/wendyauld/records.htm

It is a spreadsheet and you have to look at the tabs on the bottom left hand corner to switch between the diet page, the weight loss graph, and the exercise page.

Wendy (or winnie) is my real name BTW. Morrigan was my Chesapeake Bay Retreiver that was killed my a car last year. I got a new puppy and built a big fence, but I still miss her a lot.

Last edited by morrigan; 07-16-2001 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:22 AM   #8  

Hey Guys, Hope everyone is having a great day so far. I was very pleased this morning when I weighed in. I lost 4 pounds which makes a total of 11 pounds in 3 weeks. YAY!!! We are leaving for Hilton Head on July 28th and I hope to lose a few more pounds before then. Hilton Head will be a challenge because of all the good food. But the place we stay in has a gym so I will try and use it at least 4 times that week. It will be difficult to not drink some Coronas while I am there. Beer really sticks to me for some reason. My hubby of course will eat like pig that week and not gain anything.
Tomorrow I have to go to a farewell party for a girl I teach with. She took a new job and now the school is having a party for her. It will be challenging because there will be lots of food there. WIsh me luck.
Exercise plan for the day: Kickboxing class (45 minutes)
Hit golf balls with DH tonight
(hopefully)

Copperblue- What is a colposcopy? I hope you are OK!

Take care,
Saggy
Old 07-16-2001, 11:50 AM   #9  

Hi Everyone!

I think this thread is great! Mind if I join you? I've lost about 45 lbs, and part of the reason for my weightloss is due to exercise. It sure does help knowing other people are working at becoming more fit, too. I'm so impressed at everyone's progress! (Hi Morrigan, glad to see you off those crutches!)My goal is to get to the gym or do some kind of exercise at least 5 days a week. I find that when I exercise I feel better mentally and physically.

This morning I got up and did my Body Flex tape (a combo of yoga/breathing exercises). It felt great to start off the day that way.

Have a great day, everyone!
(Hugs),
Dena
Old 07-16-2001, 12:30 PM   #10  

Hey Dena - I am glad to see you back. Crone and I have been posting over on support under summer lites with just a few great newbies most of the summer. I also have got the exercise bug since I actually can now and have been posting here everyday - it really helps out a lot!

I am still using dietwatch and I burned a whopping 619 calories today. I really want to start losing again and hope that lifting weights will jump start my weight loss. Right now I have lost 3 lbs since the begging of June. I still have 7 more of the 10 lbs I gained back to take off.

Last edited by morrigan; 07-16-2001 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:56 AM   #11  

Hi all!

Morrigan: I loved your page -- great idea! I keep Excel charts on my computer for myself, but haven't got the courage to post them online yet! I can't believe some of the weights you're using! I'm going to have to step it up to keep pace with you!
Stretching is great -- if I don't make enough time to stretch properly after a workout, I always feel it.

Saggy: Congrats on your loss! Way to go! I think it's great that you're planning to use the gym on your vacation -- all my willpower seems to fly right out the window whenever I go on vacation, and I'm always afraid to look at the scale afterwards!
A colposcopy is a procedure done by your OB-GYN when your PAP smear results indicate an abnormality. They then have to investigate it and basically look for the tricky cells with a special lens + take biopsy samples from your cervix. They don't give you any local anesthetic for this. It's supposedly a minor procedure, with "mild discomfort", but from all accounts I've heard (and my own experience) it's actually EXTREMELY painful. It's nothing I'd want to go through again.

Dena: Welcome! Glad to have you!

my update:
Skipped a planned workout for the first time in several weeks. I was just too sore and too exhausted to deal with it this morning. I think I'm going to crash really early tonight and try to make up the sleep deficit I've been operating under. Hoping tomorrow goes better!
Old 07-17-2001, 10:09 AM   #12  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking Busy, busy, busy! :)

Wow! If this level of posting keeps up, we may need a daily thread!

{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}} for Meredith! I know how hard it is to get motivated when you're feeling sad, and especially missing your dh.... how long is he gone for? My dh goes away only a couple times a year for service schools, but that's only a week at the most. It's actually kind of nice for us, so I guess it's true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Take care of yourself, and congrats on the not smoking thing! That's great!

Copperblu! Your plateau is officially over! Yay! I'm so proud of you for sticking to it for so long, and now look where it's got ya! You're doing great, and you're an inspiration! And we cross posted again! I see that your body is telling you to give it a rest, so I'm sure this rest day will help you. Have a good sleep tonight!

Morrigan, that's a great way to keep track of your weight lifting progress! And ITA with you about moms who find the time to work out! I can barely find the time myself sometimes, so I can hardly imagine how i'm gonna do it once I'm a mom.... Oh, I love the sound of that!

Another 4 lbs! Saggy, I'm impressed! And 11 pounds over the last three weeks! Wow! You are on a roll, woman! Where is Hilton Head? It kinda sounds familiar, but.... Anyway, good luck at your party later, and keep up the great work!!!!!

Welcome, Dena, we're glad to have you! And congrats on your loss so far. The 5 active days a week is what I'm trying for too. It doesn't always happen, but I'm a lot more consistent with exercising now than I ever have been in my life! I've heard of Body Flex...it's somewhat like Oxycise, isn't it? I've thought of trying that stuff... I especially like the idea of doing the commuter tape on my way back and forth to work everyday. Are you seeing any results?

As for me: I had a highly stressed afternoon, with a blinding headache, so I didn't make it to Curves before yoga, but my yoga class was sheer heaven! We got to learn the Sun Salutation last night, and it wasn't nearly as hard as it looked like! It's a challenge all right, but not the overwhelming pretzel contortion that I was dreading! I've made myself a promise to practice at least a little yoga everyday this week.

I've been feeling really bloated this past week. I still haven't gotten to TOM (darn bcp), but according to my charting, it should be here in about a week.... ugh.... I have yet to weigh in for the month at Curves, and I'm dreading it. I just know that the numbers gone up, cause I can feel it. It's a combination of my wacky hormones, the dreadful holiday eating, the skipping workouts.... I'm just so focused on TTC, who wants to pay attention to anything else!! Well...... I guess I need a little whipping.... any volunteers?

So, needless to say, I didn't make it to the pool this morning, but I will be at Curves this afternoon, and as promised to myself, at least a little yoga tonight too.

Gotta go!
Old 07-17-2001, 11:07 AM   #13  

I don't know how accurate all those weights are. They are the weights on the medX circuit at our gym. MedX are big machines with pulleys and weights. The only free weights I do are the tricep extensions, bicep curls, and shoulder extentions. When I bench press with free weights I am only at 80-90 lbs. I have to use those number though - because that is what the machine says - so I can keep track. When I get home I think I will write that in on my page so I don't look like quite the amazon.

It is cold here today (after a month of 90+). I wimped out and stayed under the covers for a long time and didn't ride my bike to town. So that means I am going to the gym after school today. No weights - but I sure like getting my heart rate up on the stairclimber. I am going to spend at least an hour on cardio today.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:08 AM   #14  

Hey everyone! Thank you for all of your nice words. I have an anxiety disorder and my emotions just seem to rule my life sometimes. Sometimes I just feel like an unstable ball of emotions and the slightest little disturbance just rocks me. It always takes me a while to get back to "normal" too. Anyway, DH is going to be gone for a whole month. He used to work on the road and I'd only see him on the weekends, but a whole month!?!? I get to go see him in about a week and a half. OK, I'll quit whining now!

I don't know why I always hear "Fat bottomed girls" when I am replying in this thread. This has happened three times now. Maybe they play the same song at the same time once a week or so. Or maybe it's to help motivate me to get off my fat bottom. Who knows?

Last night I did my Pilates. I couldn't sleep at all last night. I rolled around until my alarm went off this morning. I don't think I slept a wink. I'm pooped. I think I'm going to call my doctor and see if I need to change medications or if he can give me a sleep aid. I better go get some work done. I have a big fundraiser coming up in August, another one in September and a newsletter to write as well. No rest for the wicked. Have a good day!
Old 07-17-2001, 04:01 PM   #15  

Hey Guys! I just got back from the party I had to go to. I did very well there. (only ate 1 cookie and passed up cake). But once I got home my willpower crumbled and I ended up eating 2 and a half pieces of this cheesecake dessert I made. Now I feel guilty. Hopefully my husband will take the leftovers to work tomorrow and I won't be tempted anymore.

Marvin--Hilton Head is an island off South Carolina. It's not as touristy as most beaches which I why I love it. There are also tons of great sea food restaurants.

Copperblu-- Hope your test come back with great results.

Meredith--Use the time when your husband is out of time for relaxing. Maybe you can have a girls day out and get a manicure and a massage!

As for exercise today, I did my Firm Parts upper body workout with weights and I am going kickboxing tonight for 60 minutes.

Talk to you all tomorrow.
Saggy
Closed Thread