Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #1  
Going to ONEderland

Default 4/3/3 Challenge

Hi guys. I wanted to propose a different sort of challenge. For me, big goals are impossible to pursue. I get overwhelmed thinking about losing 10 pounds. But I've been setting baby goals for myself all month, no more than 3 or 4 pounds at a time, and I've been meeting those goals and setting new ones. The feeling of success and accomplishment is WONDERFUL. It keeps me motivated, keeps me going.

I'm also charting my progress. Every new pound lost is marked on a graph paper with the date, the weight and a line connecting the dots.

Would any one like to join me on this 4/3/3 challenge? My next goal is 4 pounds off, after that 3 pounds, after that 3 pounds and then 4 again. At the end of each cycle of 4/3/3 we will all be 10 pounds slimmer!

Would you like to do this with me?
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:34 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

I'm stinking at challenges. The weight just isn't moving. But good idea
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #3  
Susan hockeyfan7

Sure, I'll go for it.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 PM   #4  
Going to ONEderland

Brenda you are just too close to goal. For you we can make it a 2/1/1/ challenge if you like! It is harder to reach when you are almost there. The idea is baby steps. Little goals that you can reach if you really apply yourself. That way we stay motivated to keep on keeping on.

Susan Good. I'm glad you're in. Looks like you already lost your first four, are you going for the 4 part of the challenge or the 3 next? If you go for the 4, it will put you right at 250...

One reason I'm going for the 4 first is that it puts me in the 240s then the next one will put me at a five mark (245), and the next one after that will put me at 242 (which will be exactly 40 pounds from where I originally started). I like round numbers. I also like getting just below a decimal marker... It is like when you see something at the store marked 14.99 It looks cheaper than 15 dollars... LOL! We all know it isn't, but it looks good. Same way with our weight. Getting just ONE pound lower than a decade marker makes me feel like I've accomplished something!

I know it is silly, but mind games seem to help me keep myself motivated to try.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #5  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Sherry count me in. I will go for the 4 as it has not been a big loss for me here yet. I have lost 5 total so far since the begining of Jan (though I have added exercise and should be gaining muscle but that should kick in soon and start the burning process) so I will make a mini goal ticker.

I did goal for the valentine challenge as it was to get OP and drop 5
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #6  
Susan hockeyfan7

Sherry, I'm at 250 right now, so I'm going for 247. I did the 4 so now I'll do the 3.

Of course, right now I'll be perfectly happy to get to 249. I have been gaining and losing those 4 for 3 months now.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:25 AM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Do you have a number of days for the 4? possibley by two weeks for each goal?? that way it is do able! Let me know but I am for the 4!
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #8  
Baby Steps

I'll see how I fair with the Valentines' Vixen challenge..then try and come here and join in
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #9  
Going to ONEderland

Hi Sue,

What I've been doing... well a few years ago I started my own site on MSN at a place called No Excuses Weight Loss Forum. There every month I create a database for weighing in. It has a person's name, their goal for the month and a weekly weigh in date that they can record their progress on.

So for me, I've been setting my goals small allowing the whole month to reach them. But if I get to my small goal early in the month, I set a second one, a third one, etc. On the database I can record the date I met the first, second etc. goals.

I've reached 3 goals this month and set a 4th (which I probably won't meet). Any goals not reached this month I just carry over into February.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #10  
Going to ONEderland

I lost a pound and a half! 2.5 to go toward next goal!

It if funny how these marker things work. If you post your weight, it rounds down, if you post how many pounds it rounds up.

So 1.5 pounds shows up as 2 when my weight is showing (it should read 250.5) and on the Valentine's marker it should read 5.5 pounds lost, but only shows the 5... how funny!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #11  
Susan hockeyfan7

I was down 2 this morning, so 1/2 way to the first 4.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #12  
Going to ONEderland

You GO girl!
Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #13  

Hi! I just figured out how to find this spot!! Is there anyway to 'bookmark' it in case I forget the name of the thread? Of course, I shouldn't forget - i'm in for 4/3/3 - but i would like to monitor other threads as well.

I did very well yesterday on diet and exercise. To keep me motivated I listen to books on cd when I am on the treadmill. If I want to hear what's going on in the book - I MUST GO EXERCIZE. Can't cheat! I just got 'Natural Blonde", an autobiography written by Liz Smith. So, I guess I'll have to go to the gym... but I might try the bike. Have only used the treadmill.
surfdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #14  

Way to go
surfdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/176.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Hey surfdreams - that books on CD thing is a good idea!! I usually listen to the radio when I"m on the machines at the gym or else I listen to a radio station that plays TV channels on the TVs at the gym - but I"m really tired of watching CNN while on the elliptical - the books on CD sounds like a nice change.
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote