Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #1  

Default Exercise tapes/dvd's and wieght loss

Do you guys think it is possible to really lose weight by using exercise DVDs?
To me, working out means going to a class or gym and really pushing it. I'd like to hear from people who have lost weight using tapes and I am wondering what kinds of tapes you use.
Thanks
Sonya
sag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #2  
At it again

S/C/G: 166/160/140

Height: 5'4

Whenever I use dvds I tend not to work as hard. I think being in a class pushes me more. The only DVds I've used are Yoga, Pilate and a Kickboxing DVD my mom had. I can't remember the name of it.
Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #3  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I'm definitely a DVD exerciser and it actually helped me shed about 10-15 pounds from August-November (and my 5 holiday pounds in the last 3 weeks) as well as muscle toned in the thighs, abs, and arms.

Right now, I just don't like the public-ness of gyms (especially when I still have pooches here and there ) and having to haul myself out of my home (though I do occasionally go out to parks to jog). It also works well with my schedule--since I'm a late-night exerciser (10-11pm). Oh yea, and the dreaded gym fee.

I stick mostly to Denise Austin DVDs--which ranges from mid- to high- impact and usually a combination of cardio & strength training.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #4  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

I think it depends on the person and the workout... my grandmother loses weight by doing walk away the pounds, but that doesn't do anything for me. I lost weight with TaeBo, but it doesn't motivate my other family members that have tried it. My brother is more motivated to work out in a gym with his friends (he does it to bulk up not lose weight) but when he can't he uses videos at home.

If you want to lose weight/get fit with DVDs (or tapes) the trick is finding something that works for you enough to stick with it and that challenges you enough to see results.

Some videos that have kicked my butt in the past were TaeBo/Billy's Bootcamp (especially the advanced tapes... oy), Power 90 and Stott Pilates.

I'm not against joining a gym, I just can't right now. Gyms are a bit more expensive than DVDs.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #5  

I have tried the Slim in 6, its hard so I don't feel as motivated, but I have tried the Carmen Electra Striptease 2 (the only one that works for me) and I lost 5 lbs by exercising and eating healthy in a week. Also, they are fun.
Babyweight516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

It can be done - but you need to be disciplined enough to push yourself. I realized the other day when I took a class at the gym for the first time in ages that I worked harder there than I do by myself, at the gym or at home. I need to work on working harder.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #7  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

I think it's possible, if you have the discipline to keep at it. (Well, of course, you would need discipline to get to the gym too, now that I think about it!) I have been workout out almost exclusively with DVDs for the last six months and feel that I have been very successful in shedding a few inches, toning up, and getting more generally fit.

I think it's a matter of finding DVDs that you really enjoy and that challenge you. They can get more monotonous than going to a class because a given DVD workout doesn't change and doesn't provide the interaction with people that a class can give you. I have amassed a nice little collection of Walk Away The Pounds, Pilates, aerobics, Yoga, and sculpting videos, and it serves me well. Every day I have the option to choose something different and challenge myself in new ways. That's not to say I won't go back to the gym thing later, when I have more $ and time to do it, but I like where I'm at.

Good luck to you!
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #8  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Not sure it's all about working harder though. You just have to get your heart rate up for extended periods during the day. Doing weight work is also important. But in the end, it will come down to calories in - calories out. You could lose weight without doing any exercise at all, so I think anything that gets your heart rate up (doesn't have to be THAT intense) and is something you can stick with, is the best.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #9  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Must have been posting at the same time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crk05
That's not to say I won't go back to the gym thing later, when I have more $ and time to do it, but I like where I'm at.
That hits it spot on for me!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #10  

Everytime I have been successful with my weight loss and keeping it off, it has been from using tapes or DVDS. Currently, I have been using the Firm tapes & DVDs, both the Transfirmer and the other Firm tapes, and have lost almost 25 lbs in 16 weeks. I am also on the Jenny Craig diet, but deviate frequently. I know that if I did not have the convenience of using these tapes and DVDs on MY schedule, 4:30 AM, I would not be a successful with my weight loss. I also walk every day in addition to using the tapes and DVDs 5 times per week. It is more convenient than going to the gym, even more convenient than going to Curves, as most Curves locations are open very limited hours.
JayGee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:48 PM   #11  

I know tapes/dvds work. On a previous weight loss journey I lost 40 pounds doing Taebo 3-5 days a week. I wanted to get to a point where I felt comfortable going to the gym. I would alternate b/w the basic and advanced tapes. I would do them with co-workers after work or at home.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #12  

I sure hope it's possible as the nearest gym is over 60 km away from me! Lately i've been going hard while watching Dora the explorer! (makes me want to run away faster) Yikes- such is life with young kids!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:53 PM   #13  

I would not have lost as much as I have if not for videos. I am too much of a wimp to be aslking outdoors this time of year, and it just takes a little effort on my part to keep it challenging. And I can buy 2-3 new dvd's every month for the same cost as a gym.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #14  
On my way!

Yes, they have worked for me. I use the firm workouts
Smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #15  

DVD's and VHS and eating better is what has gotten me where I am now. I had to wait 6wks after DD was born to be able to workout and I couldn't go to the gym. I have done them all, but I had to find out what worked best for me, what kept me interested and what showed me results. As a matter of fact, I am waiting for The Firm to arrive at my house. The videos give me time to pace myself and work my way up. If I was in a workout class, I would not have that luxury. I will eventually join a workout class someday, but for now, I will use dvd's to work my way to that point.
destiny's mom is offline   Reply With Quote