Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 12:28 PM   #1  

Unhappy Step-class beginner

I just joined a gym and I took my first step class today. I had taken step once before several years ago so I knew some of the steps, but once I got into the class I really felt like a dork. I was very excited about taking it, but now I feel kinda like, whatever. It was an hour class and halfway through I really wished it was over. I felt exhausted. My legs didn't want to do it anymore, so instead of doing the movements on the step I did them on the floor. I felt like a loser. Well, I really needed to vent about my experience today. Thanks for listening. Any feedback or ideas would be great.

Melissa
Old 07-15-2001, 01:20 PM   #2  

Hey Melissa! Good for you! You made the right choice by not stopping and walking out. As you continue to go to classes you will get stronger and stronger and pretty soon you will be really kickin' butt. I understand how you feel. Sometimes I have a hard time going to kickboxing class because all the girl there are like a size 2. But I go anyhow and love every minute of it.

Keep up the good work!
Saggy
Old 07-15-2001, 01:22 PM   #3  

Hey Melissa! Good for you! You made the right choice by not stopping and walking out. As you continue to go to classes you will get stronger and stronger and pretty soon you will be really kickin' butt. I understand how you feel. Sometimes I have a hard time going to kickboxing class because all the girls there are like a size 2. But I go anyhow and love every minute of it.

Keep up the good work!
Saggy
Old 07-15-2001, 01:23 PM   #4  

OOPS! DIDN'T MEAN TO POST TWICE. SORRY!
Saggy
Old 07-16-2001, 03:07 PM   #5  

Hey! I'm hoping to give you some inspiration from the "other end". I am a step instructor - have been since the things came out and we used a little wooden box instead of the fancy ones they have now and had to make up our own collection of music because no one put out the right tempo.
You have no idea how much we love it when someone new comes into class - especially someone who feel they need us! I have a group of women that have been coming for a long time now and have to stay creative so I don't bore them to death. This is really intimidating for new folks, so I try, when I see a new face, to simplify things, and to make an effort to talk to the person either before or after class. You did exactly the right thing, step does not have to be done on the step! We love to see someone go at their own pace, and if they need to take it down, do so. It's safer and believe me, you'll get in shape faster if you don't hurt yourself!!!!! Next time, try and go early or stay late and talk to your instructor. I bet you she's more worried about pleasing you and keeping you in her class than you're worried about not making it through or feeling like a dork!
Old 07-18-2001, 02:51 PM   #6  

Angry

Melissa--I've been taking step classes for years and still find it difficult some days.

I think the most important thing is to laugh at yourself if you make a mistake.

I'm not into complicated moves and don't like classes where I don't know what the instructor is going to do so when I get lost or can't get my feet & legs to do what I want them to, I either do a basic step & down or moves on the floor

Milleb have you tried www.turnstep.com they have some awesome routines posted there daily

Keep up those step classes--my legs are like steel and my butt is going back where it is suppose to
Old 07-18-2001, 06:57 PM   #7  

Angry thanks!

I appreciate your words of advice. I know what I am doing is right but I do feel like a dork. I am planning on going to the class this saturday, but it is going to be a different instructor. I hope I do OK. I don't know how much leg strength counts, but I am excercising almost every day and I am trying to strenthen my legs. I hope that will help me in my classes. I really do appreciate the advice. Any other advice is welcomed too!

Melissa
Old 07-24-2001, 05:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Melissa,
I just wanted to tell you I am proud of you for making this change in your life. You will reach your first goal, and the one you set after that, as long as you stick with it and tell yourself you are worth it.
I read a lot of posts, and I love women who are confident enough to go to the gym when they are not a size 4. You will keep getting better, and will keep looking better the longer you do it!
Love,
Aphil
195/189/140goal
Old 07-24-2001, 06:47 PM   #9  

Angry thanks for the kind words

Thanks. I must say it does make me feel a little....ummmm... I don't know. The feeling you get when you know you are one of the bigger women at the gym. I don't let it get to me though. I say to myself, If anyone wants to judge me, go ahead. I am here and I am working on myself, trying to make myself healthier. It makes me feel good knowing I AM taking steps in the right direction. I also really like the gym. I am trying to get myself into a routine. Well, off to dinner. Take care
Melissa
Closed Thread