WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 01:44 AM   #1  
Slimwithin

Default Runny S.F. Pudding...what to do about it?

Occasionally I make up a batch of sugar free pudding (preferring the chocolate fudge flavor, naturally), and I pour it into individual dishes and cover with plastic wrap. I've noticed that after a day or so in the fridge, they get quite runny...not pudding-like at all. Does anybody have a remedy for this problem?
Old 07-14-2001, 10:52 AM   #2  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Sure! Eat them all right away!!!! Okay, I'm sorry. I know exactly what you mean. The SF puddings seem to break down after a day or so. I have no idea about a remedy, but you could try keeping it in one bowl without dividing it up. Also, would putting it in individual plastic containers with lids help? Sounds like we need to experiment here. I'm looking forward to ideas about this myself.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:55 AM   #3  

I called the Jello company about this problem. Are you using the instant pudding? If so, that is the problem. There is something in the "instant" brand that breaks down the milk. I wound up throwing away more than I was eating. If you can find the sugar free that you have to cook, it won't happen. What I do now is buy the snack packs of fat free pudding put out by Hunts. They are two points, but at least they last more than a day.
Old 07-16-2001, 09:04 AM   #4  

Make a partial package. I got this idea from the person that posted the single serving no-Pudge brownie recipe. Measure out the dry powder - use 1/4 of it and add 1/2 cup of milk. Makes a single serving -
Old 07-16-2001, 11:27 AM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

I've never had this problem at all but then again I use the Skim Milk Plus that is the same consistence as whole milk.

Are you using a mixer to mix the pudding? I found if I use a spoon then it doesn't get thick but when I use a mixer it does.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:05 PM   #6  
imaleader

One thing that helps is making sure the pudding comes to a full boil before putting it in the individual serving cups (assuming you use the Cook and Serve style, not instant.) Also, if you make it with skim milk, use about 1 tablespoon less than the full amount -- silly but it makes a difference. I imagine the reason you put the plastic wrap on is to prevent that SKIN from forming, right? I have found that (I do the same thing) if I leave a little bit vented and not completely covered, it doesn't water out quite so readily. Hope these ideas help!

Old 07-16-2001, 07:10 PM   #7  

Another thing you might try.....

Jello puts out pudding in a container which is about a pint size. They come in all different flavors, including fat free and it lasts in the fridge for a couple of days.

I'm not sure if it's available everywhere, but I can get it here in Cincinnati!
Old 07-17-2001, 01:49 AM   #8  
Slimwithin

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never seen the sugar free cooked puddings here in my part of Canada so my only option is the instant kind. Today I made it with powdered milk, making it with a little extra powdered milk and, after pouring it in the dishes, I haven't covered them at all. I'll see how they look in the morning but the one I just had for my bedtime snack was just the right consistency.
Closed Thread