Old 01-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #1  

Default Cheap scales

Note to self: Stop buying el cheapo stuff

A couple of weeks ago I bought a scale that was on sale at the drugstore…..I wanted to know what was my real weight, naked as the day made me!!! I usually weight on the shipping (calibrated) scale at work…..

So yesterday I step naked on my scale and it showed 260 pounds; NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! This can’t be!!!!!! I was 253 on Friday; and did not binge like crazy over the week-end…In fact I trained like crazy: Laps at the pool Saturday and 3 hours intense cross-country ski yesterday….

I just checked at work, and; big relief; it showed 257 with approx 7 pounds of clothes / industrial shoes /big key set….so that’s actually a 3 pounds loss over the week end….

Anyone wants this stupid scale before i destroy it …..?
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #2  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

BURN IT!!! LOL

Seriously, a good quality scale is an investment. If you can afford one, it's a great thing to have.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Consistancy! I consistantly weigh on a consistantly wrong scale, the actual number isn't a huge deal to me, just losing! But switching would throw anyone off! Get rid of the wrong scale!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:42 PM   #4  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Jen......BURN IT!! My moms scale is old and way off. I didnt realize how bad until I bought a new digital scale. As far as I can figure, its 10 lbs off. So now I only weigh here at home.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #5  
Heather/Caterpillar

I am having scale problems right now and no idea why...I usually weigh on the clalibrated ones at the store and so does my sister. I bought some scales to weigh on at home just to check stuff was going right. Now my sister weighs exactly the same on the home scales as she does at the store but I weigh between 5 and 8 pounds more...I checked both sets of scales (home and store) using weights and they are both accurate...anybody any idea what is going on here?
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #6  
Downsizing Dee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heva2015
I checked both sets of scales (home and store) using weights and they are both accurate...anybody any idea what is going on here?
When I was going through my scale fiasco last week I had put weights on my old scale (5lbs) and it read correctly. When I put on more than 20 lbs. it was off by five pounds. Maybe try weighing a higher weight and see what the results are.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #7  
Heather/Caterpillar

I just don't understand why my sister weighs the same on both sets of scales yet I don't. It is very odd!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #8  

A head's up!

I purchased a Weight Watchers scale (Wal-Mart, $29.99) yesterday and plan on weighing myself daily, despite all the advise to do otherwise. I need daily accountability or I get lazy. The wonderful thing about this scale is that it is accurate up to 380 pounds! It's usually difficult to find one that registers over 300 and previously the max I have seen was 330. As someone who has been (many attempts ago!) at a weight that was unable to be weighed, I certainly know the value of a scale and how important it is to find an accurate one. If you're above 330 and unable to find one in your area, know that one exists (an affordable one at that!) and very likely can be purchased online.

Wishing you the best with your scale woes,
Dani31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #9  
Heather/Caterpillar

The one that I have is a Weight Watchers one...digital and silver. It seems to be super accurate on everyone but me...
Old 01-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #10  

When I first started again, I purchased cheap scale-not understanding it was off and didn't work right. I was extremely tempted to set it on fire one morning. And I weighed in at different scales, mine was about 5 lbs off. So, I was 269 when I started instead of 265 I thought. Which, am glad I didn't know then. So, I purchased the WW scale, not that I follow weight watchers, but I trust them. I love the digital scale! I can't play with the numbers. Hahaha
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #11  

I found a very solution to my problem

I will place all my working clothes and shoes in a bag and weight them separately on the shipping scale. I will only need to deduct the results when I weight all dressed up.

Too bad for the ladies who work in shipping; who won’t see me naked!!!
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote