Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #1  
playin' for keeps

Default Hey runners! - How do I get faster?

Hey all,

I know that oodles of you out there are pretty serious runners. I'm a not-so-serious one.

I've been running for about 9 months now, and am super duper slow. Mostly, I'm okay with that. I run 2 miles in the morning 3 days a week (about 25 minutes) and 10K on Saturdays (usually about 83 minutes - yikes). I typically run outside. I've run 2 races now - I finished the 6 mile one in 1:19:50 (told ya I was slow) and the 10K last weekend in 1:15:37.

I'd like to get faster, but not sure how to accomplish it. I feel okay about pushing my speed on the short runs, and will try to start doing that, but I get panicky about running faster on the longer distances. I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to the end if I push harder at the beginning. Knowwhatimean?

Now that you know my whole history , anyone have any suggestions about getting faster? Some folks have mentioned interval training, others have suggested running longer distances (gasp! - I should run farther than 10K??)

I'd love to hear what y'all think.

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #2  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

I wanna know about this one too. I'm just waiting for an answer on this one because I run really slow but that's how I pace myself.
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirlygirl
I'd like to get faster, but not sure how to accomplish it.
The best way for you to get faster is to get to your goal weight. Don't worry about intervals right now, just focus on the diet, and run as many easy miles as you can. You can cut about 2-3 seconds per mile off your pace for every pounds that you lose.
ultraclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 AM   #4  

When I was an athlete in college (crew team) we used intervals to get over a plataeu. I did it with rowing, but I would assume the same works for runners. If you go to a gym or have access to a treadmill, most of them have programs that include intervals (sometimes called pyramids). If not you could apply the same concept to outdoor running. Sometimes we would do telephone poles. Think of the distance between 2 poles as a segment.Sprint one segment, then walk the next. Next sprint 2 segments, then walk 1, increase till your max sprinting distance. Then do in reverse (not backwards, but sprint 5, walk 1, sprint 4, walk 1, sprint 3, walk one etc...)

You may also want to have a runner critique you on your technique. Pick up some running mags at the library, I'm sure they are full of tips.

Good Luck!!
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:28 AM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm currently doing a proper half marathon training plan which includes both intervals and longer runs, and it's definitely having an effect on my speed. Having a look at some 10k plans, a lot of them (other than the very beginners ones) do include longer runs that 10k, and as you get more comfortable at 10k it might be worth pushing yourself a little more to stop yourself getting stale.

However, although this is working for me now, I've only just moved on to more structured training now I'm closer to my goal weight, and I did find that my speed improved anyway as I lost the bulk of my weight. I did my first 10k at about 190lb in 1 hour 8 minutes, and the second at nearer 175 in under an hour (it was a lot flatter though!).

And at the end of the day, if you're running the distance you're burning off the calories, no matter how fast or slow you do it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #6  
Heather

I have been focusing more on distance than speed- I am pretty slow as well, about 40 mins for 5k and 70-90 mins for 10k. I think at least for me thats plenty fast enough
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Just keep running and losing weight. You'll get faster. Actually, you already are. Your 10k time (which is 6.2 miles) is better than you 6 mile time.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #8  
Running Wild

i have a spreadsheet on how to get faster for a 5K...will post later! i have a conf call here in a few minutes!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #9  
Running Wild

www.halhigdon.com/5K%20training/5-Kinter.htm

i hope that link works...

i too am concentrating on distance right now, but still would like to shave off a minute or 2 this coming saturday off my 5K time. we'll see.

and i have a 10K end of feb, and if i can do that in 70 i will be most happy
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #10  

I would reccomend buying some ankle weights...they help you improve your speed b/c you get used to running with those on your legs and when you take them off, your time improves. I have 2lb weights (one for each leg) I bought mine at TJ Max for like 3 dollars.
layners7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:29 PM   #11  

Runner's World.com has an article on speedwork for beginners. Go to the website and search it using the word "speedwork". Alternatively here's the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...0-1149,00.html Good luck with your running, sounds like you're doing great already!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:25 AM   #12  
playin' for keeps

Awesome information - you guys rock!

Thanks so much!

I'll give some speed work a try. I'd love to do my next 10K in less than 70 minutes. We'll see how it goes.

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote