Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #1  

Thumbs down My Bally's Experience

I'm feeling really fustrated. As some of you know I've been going to curves and it's gettign quite easy for me. I can't really get my heart rate up to 130 like it should be. So I joined up with discoverys health challenge and got a free 8 week membership to bally's.

I went to to Bally's this afternoon and met with a consultant in his office. He was really nice to me discussing my diet plan ect. Then he wanted me to join and I told him I have 3 months left at curves and might join then but I'd like to use the 2 month membership. At this point he rudely kicked me out of his office & the nice guy was GONE.. he said "go do it then" I was like what? He said go exercise.

Now I had never been to a full club like this before and I thought I would get a tour a some advice on the equipment (like I had at curves) before joining. So on my own I tried a machine where you circled backwards with your legs and pulled with your arms. I had trouble setting it up and it was much to hard for me resistance wise and ended up hurting my right knee on it. So I decided to try a treadmill. I liked the treadmill and was able to figure out how to work it on my own. I went home after that.

I was really intimidated by all the machines & not knowing how to do anything. Also guys there were just staring at me. In my experience if you're looking at someone at least smile and be friendly but this was just straight out staring. A few months ago I probably would have thought they were staring because I was too overweight to be there. But now that I am getting in a lot better shape, especially my legs and butt I think they were just checking me out. It was creepy feeling like the new piece of meat

Wow I'm writing a whole book here Needless to say I didn't have a very positive experience at Bally's. I would like a more challenging place to work out but I did NOT like the vibe there at all.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #2  

Default You are not alone in your Bally experience

Hi,
I too have joined the body challenge and am only interested in a few select Bally activities. They are all nice,nice until you do not jump to join. When I had visited a few years ago,I found that everyone paid a different price and you are on your own to make the best deal you can. I don't like that at all.You have to be firm and just say no.Go and try a few classes or whatever. Watch others on the machines and it will be clear what to do. Some have little instruction signs posted. Watch out for another problem as no one wipes the machines down. I did ask and there is a bottle of cleaner/germ repellant available.I did not join but will use my pass unless the flu seasons gets horrible here and I am afraid to catch something.Good luck.
Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 AM   #3  
getting there

S/C/G: 325/273/200

Height: 5'8

I was wondering about the whole free thing. I've also never been to a big gym like that, so I think I'll pass on that. I don't know what to do. I can do fine working out at home.
nikkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #4  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

I have been a member of Bally's for a couple of year. I really liked the one I had close to work. They had top of the line equipment, aerobic classes, swimming pool and a sauna. The also had towel service and lady’s locker room is just awesome. I have to admit that it is more expensive than others but it was worth it. Because the one I joined was downtown, most of the time people are in such a rush that nobody had time to really stare at other people.

It’s true; nobody gave me a tour either. I was familiar with all the cardio equipment. But I really needed help with the weight machines. They gave me a free training session with one of the trainers. It was great.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #5  

Miaka what cardio machines do you like to do at Bally's. What kind of routine do you have there?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #6  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

well i'm kind of glad the nearest bally's to me is a good 45 minutes away from me. i was considering doing that discovery health challenge.
jas80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #7  

I went to Bally's again today and had a bit of a better time. I had a little trouble getting in with my discovery coupon. Apparently the jerkoff I saw yesterday wrote expired across it when it was trying to get me to sign up

I did an eliptical and a cardio bike. I worked up a good sweat and felt good afterwards!
Old 01-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #8  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking Bally's workout

Valerie - I normally alternate treadmill and the elliptical machine. I either run 30 min (6 miles/hr) or do cross training on the elliptical machine for 45 min (@ resistance 9). I am trying to do 30 min of weight training 3 times a week.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:48 PM   #9  

I was a member of Bally's for a couple of years. It was a mixed bag. Yes, the gym was nicely equiped. No complaints there. But yes, you're pretty much on your own on how to use it. And you do get a hard sell when you go to sign up. Any place (or product) that uses "hard sell" techniques makes me nervous. Also, I had a trouble when came time to quit. It was a few years ago and I don't remember the details, but I do remember that it was a bigger hassle than it had to be.

Overall, I would look into other gyms before Bally's. But given only a choice between Bally's and Curves, I would take the better equiped gym where you can actually set the resistance on the machines. Curves might be a better choice, however, for people just starting out.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #10  

Thanks for the replies Miaka & Tealeaf.

I dont' like the hard sell either. If in two months I decide to switch to Bally's I'm going to bring my husband with to sign me up because I can't deal stress like that. My hubby is good with buying cars and stuff like that so he should be able to get a good deal for me.

I do think Bally's is a better workout for me. When I did the eliptical my heart rate was up around 140 and I was really sweating. At curves today my heart rate was only getting up around 100 to 110.

Curves was great for me when I started out but I think I'm outgrowing it.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:37 PM   #11  
Bread is my Enemy.

Hey, I have been a member of Ballys for about 5 years now, and to be totally honest with you... I love it. I have been to five different ones in my area multiple times and I have never had any issues. Sometimes I do see some Old guys hawking but that comes with the co-ed territory.

I do my own thing there, I had to learn everything on my own. All of the resistance machines I watched and learned. Same with the cardio. I use almost every machine in the place now and I feel totally at home and confident. (It may help that I go the 4-5 times a week lol)

As far as the hardsell yes they are pressed. Especially in recent years. But if I were you i'd enjoy the 2 months, getting to explore what you like and don't like. Two months is a long time and you may change your mind...
BrOOklyN ChIcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #12  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Holy moly! I'd have to say that if I was treated the way you were the first time, I would NEVER walk back into that place and I'd be sure to tell other people about the experience too. NOT PROFESSIONAL. I would fully expect that part of the tone is set by the on-site manager, so another Bally's location might be a different experience.

I'm lucky because the complex of offices that I work at has a small, but well equipped gym here. There are 3 ellipticals, 3 treadmills, a few other aerobic machines and one each of all the major cam machines, plus free weights, decent shower facilities, all kept very clean. And, it's available 24/7 with keycard access. No classes though. Only $50/month. If you decide after your free trial at Bally's, you might check around and see if there is anyplace like mine available--I don't think the woman that owns this one really even advertises so it might be a word-of-mouth thing to find out.

I'm still stunned, frankly, that you went back. Your story reminds me of why I like my little gym so much.

Tracy
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Valerie, if you can possibly find a better PT at Bally's or just meet up/make friends with someone who knows what they are doing, I would highly recommend joining a regular gym rather than continuing with Curves. Curves, from what I've been told, can become old after a very short while and your body becomes accustomed to the workout and it doesn't do much for you in the long run. A good workout program changes regularly every 4-6 weeks....

Look up on the internet on how to do exercises properly or look at the stickies at the top of the Ladies Who Lift forum for some great gym ideas...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #14  

Thanks for the replies Ilene, Tracy & Chick,

I went to curves today and had a pretty good work out. I would actually like to have a membership at both clubs but that would be so expensive. I might just end up going with Bally's because I get a better workout there. Another reason I really like curves is that it's close enough to walk to.

I just got back from the doctor and he told me not to exersice for a week because my back is in such bad shape.

I don't know if I can go a week w/o exercising.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #15  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I think oggling comes with the turf in most gyms. I wish they had *real* women's gyms, like a Bally's/24 Hr Fitness thing with the full set-up but women only. Personally I found the gym thing a bit too intimidating for me when I tried it a couple years ago, but I'm not ruling it out for life. I love the choice of machines they had there and know I got some really good work outs. If only ALL the males would stop oggling EVERY SINGLE woman that comes in, and maybe if the females were a bit nicer (I got some crap from people for supposedly using a machine them and their friend were just about to, and got yelled in the locker room by a woman who thought I should have waited my turn for the pool instead of sharing a lane with her). Not sure what it is about the gym that makes people lose their manners, but maybe it was just the one near me. My employer has a large one that is a bit too far from home for me now but when I move I may check it out, if people think they are working out with potential coworkers they may be a bit nicer.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote