Old 01-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #1  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

Default pop to water

so a couple days ago i gave up pop completely. i bought a case of water at the grocery store instead of the usual cases of soda i get. been drinking nothing but water. problem is i have had the worst headache since the day after i started drinking only water. so today and yesterday. i gave up caffiene long ago, so it's not withdrawal from that. but could it be withdrawals from pop in general?
jas80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/175/120

First of all, congrats on giving up soda! It is a tuff decision to make, but I know that it has helped me so much.

Are you drinking your water ice cold? That could cause a headache. I drink my water at room temperature it's easier on my finicky system. That and I carry a larger tupperware container with me everywhere and just refill it when I run out.

I believe that dehydration can also cause a headache.

I hope the headache fairy leaves you soon.
BeatlesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:13 PM   #3  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

yesterday i was drinking it cold. not ice cold, but cold. this morning i'm drinking at room temp because i forgot to put more in the fridge last night lol.

i hope it's not dehydration as i drank around 6 bottles yesterday.

thinking i'll take some tylenol, nap with the girls and hope for the best.

thanks for the ideas
Old 01-14-2006, 01:37 PM   #4  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Talking

Woohoo!! Do give up that soda! I was a slave to it for so many years and just gave it up back in October. If you have been drinking the soda with sugar/corn syrup, your headache is probably from suddenly having so many fewer carbs. It's awful, I know, but when it goes away you will feel so much better than you did with all that sugar in your body all the time. Believe me! My energy is so much higher now. I drink lots of water but I also drink tea with sweet-n-low or stevia. I know I'd be better off without the artificial sweetener but it has helped me a lot with giving up the soda.

Good luck!! It is hard but really, the cravings do stop!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:41 PM   #5  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

i was only drinking diet caffiene free soda. and aside from this headache, i do feel a lot better after drinking only water

it just feels so much like when i gave up caffiene a couple years ago. that's why i wondered if it was a withdrawal.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #6  
ugggg.....

I just gave up coke myself right before the new year--I had a headache for about 5 days straight. It does get better and as icemethinner says you will have tons more energy and your mind will be more alert.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:05 PM   #7  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

i started yesturday adding more water to my diet and had a splitting head ache after not having any soda/pop all day... but i took some tylonal and it went away... today has been better

i havnt given up my soda/pop all together tho... but i am not sure diet mt. dew has caffine since its not a cola... but i do allow myself one can with lunch and

last night i had gingeral with dinner, and probably will again tonight

my headaches been better today, its just a little nagging but not killing me

i would say its most likely the caffine withdrawl... especialy if you were a very heavey pop/soda drinker... everyones body reacts differently as well

i would give it some more time and see what happens, in the mean time if it gets too bad pop a couple tylonal and u should be A OK

but if it dont get better soon i would contimplate seeing the dr just to make sure its not some strange coincidance that you have something major going on at the same time as you are going through the caffine withdrawl
Tayja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #8  
Mommy to two beast-ettes

mt. dew is loaded with caffiene, tayja. that's what i would drink if i really, really needed some extra pep.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM   #9  
The Me I Wanna Be !

S/C/G: 212/200/180

Height: 5'2

i wasnt sure if it was i hadnt read the bottle but being as it wasnt an actual cola i wasnt sure... but i have gone from drinking at least 1 20z bottle a day plus 2 or 3 diet cokes, to 1- 8oz can with lunch and about half a glass of whatever with dinner, tonight it was rasberry gingerale... so i'd say thats good
Tayja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #10  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I would think that you may be having headaches because of the artificial sweetner withdrawl. I mean, if you or anyone you know is a hard core diet coke/caffiene free diet coke fanatic, you'll know it's not just the caffiene. Your body can get "addicted" to pretty much anything. I think that may be the reason for the headaches.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #11  

If you were drinking pepsi or coke or soda that is not diet, that's the reason why you have an headache. The thing is that you get addicted to soda whether because of the cafeine it contains (pepsi or coke) or because of the sugar it contains. It is really easy to become addicted to sugar. To stop those headache, I suggest that you make changes gradually. If you were drinking soda like every day, try drinking it like three times a week to evantually drink it about once a week or so. You can also try diet soda, it has less calories but watch out cause you can become addicted to the aspartame it contains too.
cool90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

It is probably the artificial sweeteners -- giving them up -- that is causing your headaches. But don't give up! I used to guzzle diet pop constantly but gave it up several years ago and wow, what a difference! You can do it!

One very nice option is to take 1/2 cup of fruit juice... I like concord grape best... and pour it into a 16 oz water bottle; then fill it up with seltzer or plain no calorie club soda. It's great!!! You still get your fizzies without the junk.

Dance
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #13  

Wow congrats on that! I decided to do the same thing a few weeks ago. I wasn't a heavy pop drinker but I was into kool aid but I have since decided only on water and then juice on the weekends but sparingly! I hope your headaches have gotten better!
IntriguedKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:14 PM   #14  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default Excellent!!

Good for you in giving up soda! Or as we Michigan people refer to it as, "POP". I haven't had any soda in 5 months. I don't miss it or the extra weight it packs on over time. The headache will be gone within 4 or 5 days. It's a bummer while you have it, but it won't last forever. I love water now, my body craves it and needs it. Especially lemon water. I squeeze in about a tsp of fresh lemon juice in my water at least 3 times a day. I also put a lemon wedge in my water besides and just keep filling the same container with the lemon in it. It's a really refreshing drink and has MAJOR benefits.

Read this article on the benefits of drinking lemon water. It changed my life.

As an added twist, what I might do if I want to zest up my water a little is add a couple of oz of cranberry juice along with the lemon. It has a very refreshing, slightly sweet, slightly tart flavor and is a great pick me up! I don't do that very often, because of the staggering amount of sugar and calories that most cranberry and other fruit juices have in them. But everything in moderation.

Stay strong and avoid the pop, oops, I mean soda!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:06 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

It is "pop" here in the Pacific NW also! LOL I remember when I first moved here from the Midwest and ordered a soda.... I got pop with ice cream in it!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote