Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-13-2006, 02:40 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Default Daily Walking

Hi you guys. I was wondering how many of you walk 5 to 6 miles a day? And are you really tired afterwards? I have been walking 3 but am not usually tired by that so I was going to do my normal route twice (4 laps around my neighborhood). BTW...are Ipods just the greates invention?!?!?!?!
SupaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy71
Hi you guys. I was wondering how many of you walk 5 to 6 miles a day? And are you really tired afterwards? I have been walking 3 but am not usually tired by that so I was going to do my normal route twice (4 laps around my neighborhood). BTW...are Ipods just the greates invention?!?!?!?!

I just started walking every morning before work 1/3/06 and I feel better already. I use a treadmill and I actually jogged a little on it yesterday. I woke my husband and son up to let them know. It felt so good!
Susan H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

I do walk outside that far, I have a loop around town that I like to do but it takes me almost 2 hours to do the 6-7 mile loop. I can't do it on the tradmill it just is way too boaring. I do walk with some friends sometimes and tend to do shorter walks 3-4 miles, but they don't always have the time. Also i find that if the weather is just too clod that 2-3 miles outside is more than enough but Alabama does not have that cold weather problem

If you enjoy walking and you have the time, go for it, I caution you don't set yourself up to fail by making it a manditory distance.

I do love my ipod! I have a new nano, and got the waterproof case and headphones for it as I plan to start using the pool with a gym buddy.

When I walk outside I tend to listen to books, I love getting lost in stories. If you haven't tried or looked www.audible.com is a great place for books if you have a membeship, otherwise the price is rediculous. They download seamlessly into itunes and right onto the ipod a great way to double taks
-L
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #4  
it's always something

I love listening to music on the treadmill, but I've not been able to get the hang of audible books. It takes too much concentration and I can't think and walk at the same time
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #5  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Hi Sandy -

I usually walk about 4 miles a day, 5 miles a couple of times a week and sometimes 7. I even did 9 a couple of weeks ago - but was too sore the next day! The 7 miles does make me tired but only for about an hour afterwards and then I have lots of energy for the rest of the day. It is also a great feeling of accomplishment. But I just don't have the time to do that much every day.
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:18 AM   #6  

I usually walk a 2 1/2 mile circuit (well, when it's around 38 degrees or higher, anyways). It stopped being challenging enough for me, so I started doing light jogging during it. I jog for a block or two, until I am breathing hard and I can feel my heart going faster, then walk for a bit. I don't have the stamina to run the whole way, but this seems to work well.

I simply don't have the time walk further for more challenge.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #7  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Ive started out walking 1 mile 3 times a week around my neighborhood with the kids. I cant do any more than that right now. My ankles and knees are weak.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:07 AM   #8  
Running Wild

i am up to 5 miles, most of it is running, and i am about to have to up that because i dont hurt as bad afterwards but i first started out walking and 2 miles killed me. i wasnt overweight but just out of shape. now as i said running 4 miles without stopping is pretty darn easy and i cant believe it!

keep it up, you will eventually get used to it!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:58 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

I can do a loop from house that's about 3.5 miles. It takes me about a hour walking. Rather than walking further, I aim to do the same distance faster, with the goal to eventually being able to run most of the way (I used to be able to ). This works better for me since walking further = more time, and right now I don't have the time. Let me qualify this by saying that now that it's winter which means dark, cold, icy, I'm not walking outdoors at all! I do all my cardio in the gym these days.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:26 PM   #10  
Owned by Dixie

Fist of all wecome to 3FC. A huge wealth of information here and we are all here because we need or needed to make achange and came for support and to comiserate (sp)

Ahh yes, the dark winters in Alaska! what part do you live in pat?

I agree with pat, you need to figure out how to do this, is it 15 min. sessions a few times a day on the treadmill? is it a walk to town? is it finding a buddy to join the gym. is it what you do when you allow yourself to watch TV.

I am not sure where you are in the "north" it is cold, but a warm coat, a hat and gloves, and comffy boots and you will be suprised at how warm you get walking outside, how much better you will feel getting out and that you can DO IT!

I must say, and Pat will agree that what gets me going in my ipod. I just got a waterproof case for it and waterproof headphones and I am about to start swimming with my buddy KFS who just had WLS. ( I hate swimmming in the winter, but that is waht friends are for )

So my advice is keep coming, read post, ask questions and get going for you.

-L
Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

L144S - I'm in Palmer, which is about 50 miles NE of Anchorage. But as I told you before (I think!) I grew up on the South Shore of MA, so I was used to winters! Have you tried swimming with the ipod - interesting concept. I never thought about swimming to music... Not that I swim much, as HS pool is all that's available and only at weird hours for the public. And the locker room makes me shudder.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 AM   #12  
Owned by Dixie

I tried out my opod in the tub, does that count? I will start swimming soon with it, I use to ove to swim but happen to be one of those people that does not care to get lost in my own thoughts Check out www.WaterTightCase.com

I had a lovely trip to Alaska a few years ago with my family. It is a beautiful state with unbelievable landscape, but I am not sure I could do winter in Alaska. The cold I could live with but the darkeness might kill me.

You did mention the South Sore....