Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default What to eat before/after a workout?

Should I be eating something before or after a workout to get the maximum benefit?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, my trainer likes her clients to eat a protein, carb and good fat. That would look like a couple of egg whites, 1/2 an apple, and 3 almonds. Eating something starts your metabolism going plus it provides fuel for a better workout. Then she wants us to eat within 1/2 hour of working out. I usually eat within an hour of working out, but, hey, close enough.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #3  
Running Wild

when i am going on a long run (race) i eat 1.5 to 2.0 hours prior. i have to actually BE AT the race site around 6am this Sunday so i can park since the cops will be blocking off all the streets for the marathon. so i was already thinking, if i get up at 5am, i can just go down there, and will make my breakfast the night before to eat when i get there. my actual race is at 7:20am

my breakfast is going to be 2 wheat pancakes with some peanut butter and a cut up banana inside...like a pancake sammich if you will!

since i run in the afternoons, i dont eat before because i have had breakfast and lunch by that time and i run just fine. i actually suck at early morning runs, but we'll see how well i do this weekend.
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #4  
Mel

I eat a serving of protein and a carb (there's always some fat in there too) every three hours, so I'm always eating before and after a workout On heavy lifting days, when I do legs, chest or back, I make sure that I eat within an hour or so after I lift. Sometimes I do cardio on an empty stomach if I can do it first thing in the am, but I NEVER lift without eating. I still have scars from the one time I attempted to do that.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #5  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Sometimes I do cardio on an empty stomach if I can do it first thing in the am, but I NEVER lift without eating. I still have scars from the one time I attempted to do that. Mel
SCARS Do tell! What happened?
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I'm like Mel, I eat every 3 hours a portion of protein and carbs... So I eat before and after a workout no matter what...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote