UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:12 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default Weekly calorie burn through exercise!

Holy

I've just calculated my weekly calorie burn through exercise... It breaks down like this!

Monday
18 mins running - 270kcals
10 mins walk - 60kcals
60 mins kickboxing - 900kcals
40 mins weights - 400kcals

Tuesday
60 mins kickboxing - 900kcals

Wednesday
20 mins running - 300kcals
10 mins walking - 60kcals

Thursday
120 mins kickboxing - 1800kcals

Friday

Saturday
25 mins run - 375kcals

Total Weekly Calorie Burn = 5865Kcals!

Now I'm not sure about the accuracy of the calorie values, but look at the calorie burn! How can I not be losing weight??

Hmmm just fitdayed my activity and it adds up to 3338 for the week! But STILL! I should be losing a pound a week just through flamin exercise!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
Total Weekly Calorie Burn = 5865Kcals!

Now I'm not sure about the accuracy of the calorie values, but look at the calorie burn! How can I not be losing weight??

Cos your eating 50000 calories ? :LOL:

That is impressive - maybe you're turning it all to muscle (clutching at straws here!).
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #3  

I'm in the same boat as you - working hard, sticking with the diet ... and it seems like back 2 steps, forward 1 all the time.

According to FitDay and NutritionData (which seems a bit more accurate on the exercise cals, I think?), I'm usually burning over 3000 cal a day, one way or another - but I have weeks when I lose nowt, or put on a pound, or lose half a pound. I'm eating round the 1400-1500 cal a day mark, so in theory I'm making a minimum of 1500 cal deficit a day.

When I looked back at my average weight loss over 6 months - it's been less than 1lb a week. Yet I seem to work my bum off - minimum 50 mins a day either hiking across muddy fields, running, cycling, exercise bike or dance DVDs.

I'm wondering if we're creating too great a difference between cals in and out? If 1000 less cals per day adds upto 2lb weight loss in a week, on paper both you and I are probably doing way in excess of that - and losing less. Maybe our body's are in survival mode a lot of the time? It's a case of doing a bit less, or eating a bit more - and then the problem there is getting the balance of nutrients spot-on, I guess!

I've been wondering the same thing though, why other people seem to lose 2lb or more a week doing far less than I am, certainly in terms of exercise. It doesn't seem to add up.

PhatP x
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:21 AM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

Yes I am completely stumped by this. In theory if I ate like a "normal" person and continued my exercise as I do now, I should lose 1lb a week. I eat LESS than a "normal" person, so WTF???

I am trying to up the calories a tiny tiny bit and stay away from refined carbs (no more than 2 wholegrain portions a day) and if I feel like 1 chocolate at the end of the day, I'm bloody well gonna eat it since I'm working my butt off!

PhatP perhaps we are getting the all hallowed muscle in place of the fat, I couldn't swear to it, but some days I feel *tighter* than others!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #5  

I'm the same as well, I stick to my calories between 1400 and 1600 a day, and I exercise my butt off, every lunch and every night after work, 5 - 6 times a week.

And still I lose 1lb a week, if I am lucky. I know from having my measurements taken every 8 weeks that I am losing something! I shrank more in the last 8 weeks than any previous, but lost less lbs.

I try not to let it worry me and just ignore the scales and weigh once a month. Life is too short to stress.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:47 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

My scales are on a month's holiday! I'm also thinking - "sod the scales all together, just concentrate on getting fit!"
Old 01-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #7  

I'm just pondering, but do you think your carbs might be too low? I could be way off base, but perhaps with our high levels of exercise, we need to be ensuring we get enough good carbs. I have changed my lunch from being protein and salad based to including a large roll, and I seem to be losing a bit more now than I was.

Other than that, the whole thing is a jolly mystery to me, and I feel very bitter when people talk about doing 30 minutes three times a week exercise and that's enough for weight loss, and here we are doing that in a DAY!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #8  

I'm glad I aren't the only one!

With me it's not carbs - as I'm on about 60% ('good') carbs - mainly fruit n veg. I tried to low carb once and gained at least a stone!

I upped the protein, but kept the cals about the same recently - as an experiment. And I gained a pound! What's that about?

PhatP x
Old 01-10-2006, 03:45 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

I try about 45% carbs, but I've been reading in my running book and the like that we should be eating good carbs and things for muscle fuel and then weight training people are telling me to eat clean and cut the carbs!

I had a day without chocolate yesterday and I had to force that extra protein shake down last night! I'm trying 1650kcals for a while, expecially now I'm back kicking the bejesus outta people!

I've also upped my fat to about 25% I think sometimes too little fat can be a bad thing, but I reckon what it's really all about is tweaking it specially for you.

I also had a bit of a chat with DF last night and was saying how it was really bugging me about not losing any more and he said that I don't need to lose any more, just concentrate on my exercise. It was along the lines of what I was thinking, I'm still keeping more than a close eye on my food, but the scales are definitely out of favour at the moment! The mirror and the tape measure are my new friends!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:45 AM   #10  

I know what you mean about the tape measure and mirror - they're far nicer to me than those scales!

My new friends are the size 12 clothes I bought (and fit into!) in the sales, yesterday! The victory is spoilt a bit by them scales, though... According to the BMI charts etc I'm still 10lb overweight. But that's not what the mirror or the new clothes tell me! It's not as if I've got the muscle mass of Schwartzenegger (can't spell that), either - there's still definitely plenty of wobbly bits. But not 10lbs worth.

I watched the Paul McKenna thing on Sky One last night and he's trying to conduct the biggest weight loss experiment in the world. One requirement of trying it Paul's way is dumping the scales - at least for the first 3 weeks. He reckons they're counterproductive because of these daft little fluctuations. I've signed on for it

www.skyone.co.uk/Mckenna

But will I keep off the 'diet killing' scales for 3 weeks?!

I think it's worse the closer target you get, too - I definitely go up and down much more than I did a couple of months back.

This thread's cheered me up a lot!

PhatP x
Old 01-10-2006, 06:40 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

Okay, let's have a scale amnesty!

Size 12 -

I bought size 12 clothes, but they don't fit yet! however I have a size 10 top that's lovely
Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

My running top is a size 10, and my tracksuit bottoms are 10-12. I suspect they fit because of the lycra content

I was trying on size 12 suits at the weekend and they fasten, but don't quite fit, but the 14s are loose. I hate being between sizes and not having an excuse to shop

I found a lovely suit in the sales but it was a size 10. I tried it on for a laugh to see how far off I am. I never thought I'd see myself even getting one my calf into size 10 trousers, let alone both legs, my arse and just having a little bit of a gap between the buttons...

Just going off the point of the tread a little there...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote