PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:37 AM   #1  

Default Favorite protien rich foods

So i need to eat more protien, less simple carbs, and more complex cards.

So am I limited to peanuts and bagels? Can't be true. What are some of your favorite high protien foods?

I love peanut butter, but that is very fatty. I want better alternatives than that.

How about complex card foods? Any favorites. Bagels are good, but I think I will get sick of them after a while. Good news is I love whole wheat, and I have been trying to move my family away from white pasta.

Come on all you hypoglycemics, share your favorite "good for you" foods.

Missy
tat2missyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 AM   #2  
Opulent

Lentils (red, green, brown, black), black beans and tempeh are my favorite foods that are high in protein AND good sources of complex carbohydrates!
Yogini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/226/150

Height: 5'2''

Lentils are perfect for when you have a craving for sweet. It fills you and instantly takes away the cravings. I also eat Pete's Tofu desserts. They come in flavours of almond, mango, strawberry, banana and peach. They are naturally sweetened, filling and have a custard like consistency and none of the tofu "aftertaste", they are also inexpensive. You can also have 1 TBSP of hazelnut spread (Nutella) on whole grain bread...makes for a nice "once in awhile" treat. I am in Canada and we have something called Mini Chefs products in our stores (they are products designed for kids...but really enjoy them) my favourite is Cheddar Gators...quite similar to Goldfish cheese snack but more of a cheddar flavor as there is more cheese in them and therefore you are able to have more in a serving (approx 18), another good standby is apple slices with low fat cheddar cheese. I hope you find some of these helpful.
campinbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #4  

OK I have never had Lentils before...how would you make them? If they are a bean do you have to soak or boil them. And what about chickpeas? I love humis.

Missy
Old 01-09-2006, 08:47 PM   #5  

Default Add tuna to the list

Just in the last week, I have started reading the package before I put it in the cart...And you really have to pay attention to these things.
For instance, I needed crackers for my girls to have tuna on. And i usually get ritz, but I saw the wheat ones, and thought those have to be better for me right? Well, actually the original ones have more carbs. Not much of a differnce, but they could trick you with that ****.

So my point is...I read the tuna can and it has 13 g of protien and 0 carbs. I love tuna!!!

Missy