The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-07-2006, 12:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/166/139

Height: 5'6"

Question New to this and need some guidance....

I started a new diet this week and watching The Biggest Loser programs have really inspired me. My question is this, I now realize that exercise is very important to my weight loss but I'm kinda lost as to where to begin. I am pretty out of shape but I have been doing the Walk Away The Pounds video this week (1 mile). I want to do alot more besides this. Thinking along the lines of doing it TBL way, what should I be doing and what equipment do I need to get. I will be buying TBL books and such this weekend and that may answer my question. There is just so much info on the "web" that I get so confused
By the way , my current weight is 209 lb. and I don't have any health issues just way outta shape
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 AM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey lilolme... yer screen name!

First of all welcome to 3FC and Biggest Loser land!

Good for you doing walk away the pounds - a lot of people say it's great!! I'm lucky to live in CA where I can walk outside pretty much year around, so I haven't tried it.

I was in the same spot as you as far as wanting to get into weight training but not knowing where to start. Until I picked up some pointers from the Ladies Who Lift forum (start with the stickies at the top), stumptuous.com and OF COURSE, Jillian Michaels Winning By Losing book. I'm in Week 10 of her workouts - only 2 more weeks until I have to take over and make up my own workouts. I recommend the book highly - Jillian will make you work! But it feels so worth it! I like that she gives you the tools, info and motivation to really get some work done. She tells it like it is - no sugar coating telling you it's easy or that it will happen instantly.

I get tons of motivation from watching BL as well...

I look forward to seeing more posts from you - let us know how it goes!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #3  

Welcome to the painful world that is exercise! Although I'm a total slacker compared to most of these incredible women here, I have the book and some DVDs and can offer one point of view.

If you buy Jillian's "Winning by Losing" book, it comes with an entire exercise program that you get to create yourself, with pictures and explanations of each exercise and how many times to repeat it, etc. Because I'm not just physically but also mentally lazy, I decided to try her Shape Up Front and Back workout DVDs instead. Although I love the workouts - I'm so out of shape that I have to do a very self-moderated version of them and I can still only get through 20 minutes. (I'm working on it tho!) Because Jillian recommends an hour of cardio/circuit training a day, if you choose the videos you should probably do some sort of cardio for 30 mins afterward. Although my cardio after the DVD consists of walking to the nearest couch and collapsing.

I went back and reread the exercise section in Jillian's book and she's much more thorough in explaining in detail the exercises there, than she is in the videos. She even gives you beginner/intermediate/advanced options in the book, where as she doesn't really in the video.

I've also heard the "Biggest Loser" workout is a good video as well and uses people from the actual cast instead of professional fitness people. That is another option.

But I would highly recommend Jillian's book regardless of which video (or not) that you choose. She has inspirational words and she smacks you right in the face with the fact that this journey will be HARD WORK and to just erase all thoughts from your mind that it will be some simple thing you can just devote a few minutes to a day. I like her no-nonsense attitude and approach, and I know a lot of us go back and re-read sections to keep us in the right mentality for the long-haul.

Anyway glad to have you on board, lilolme!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #4  

Talking Ello, I'm New too!!

Hey people

I am also a newbie. This is my first posting in 3FC, ever

Well I've been snooping around here for the past couple of weeks, looking for support, and it looks like this forum is exactly what I need. I've seen oodles and oodles of info here that would help. So, why not, I should join in as well!

I also weigh 209 lbs and I've decided to quit with the gimmicky diets. Though I would love to see a bigger weight drop per week than 1-2 lbs., Jillian's book uses the tried and true route.

So far, my biggest challenge has been in the grazing. I'm a total snacker and I LOSSSEE it at night, almost always. Just like tonight. I'm such a night eater by habit. It's horrible I know

As far as the exercise go, I'm starting week 3 as soon as I get over my muscle spasm. I'm guessing I over did it with the back extentions! Overall, I've lost only half a pound (poor eating habits), but I've decided to take measurements as well and I've dropped about an inch or two in almost every area. And I've been feeling SOO much better due to the exercises! I'm quite sure that I'll be sticking to this program
Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #5  

chookie!!!!

Good for you with the measurement successes - sometimes the weight loss goes really slow (believe me, I know) but isn't it neat to feel better?

One thing that helps me with grazing is controlling what food is in the house...I don't eat chips if they aren't there....of course I am rather creative when I am craving something...but at least it's more work to concoct something....
Old 01-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #6  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Welcome lil and choo. Glad to have you join us here. Yay exercise. This morning I am sitting here surfing the web to weightloss blogs looking for inspiration to keep consistent. Sometimes it just can't happen fast enough and if I start to become super obsessed it seems even harder. Balancing nutrition, exercise routines, and just the oomph to keep everything going takes a huge chunk out of my everyday life. As I was thinking about this and writing about my feelings in my journal I came to the conclusion that this is a huge creative project that takes a lot of time and devotion. I regret letting myself get to the place that it is such a huge job - and yet if I just do nothing I think I would be dead sooner rather than later. Anyway, I concur that Jillian has the informaton and the ability to deliver it in a way that makes a whole lot of sense. If you have some time and want to read some more good information I recommend googling skwigg. She has a great website and has written a lot of short essays that speak to the living of a fit life. I have been reading her a couple years and find myself returning to those essays again and again for motivation.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:15 AM   #7  

Default hi guys!

Hello to you Chick and Ledom!

Thanks for the advice Chick, controlling my immediate environment has definitely helped me in the past. It's just been a lot tougher since moving back in with the family. They know I'm trying to lose weight but they'll also want their normal, not so good for ya, foods. I guess I'll just have to visualize a great big ol X on that refrigerator. I know that there's a small refrigerator around here I could use... somewhere...

Congrats on your weight loss btw. You're so close to that 100 mark! How did you do that?? Are you on a particular diet or are you just watching your cals?

Ledom, I know what you mean by obsession. We read magazines, web articles, etc. about this subject. We then exercise, watch what we eat, and talk about about losing weight as well... This really DOES take a huge chunk of our waking lives. I wonder how life will be when I reach my goal weight.

In the meantime, I'll go and check out skwigg, thanks ~ I need some motivatin'!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #8  

Hello Lilome and everyone else! I'm a first time poster as well.

I've ordered my "Winning By Losing" book and am anxiously awaiting its arrival. While I am only looking to lose 10 lbs (weight I gained after shattering my foot in November 2004), I am hoping to also lose 8% points of body fat (I've been using a FUTREX machine I purchased off of eBay to monitor my BF levels).

Lilome, congratulations on getting your program under way! You go girl!!

I'm not familiar with the "Walk Away The Pounds" video, but if you're walking you really should consider a Heart Rate Monitor to ensure that you're working at an optimal level (I know from reading prior posts that Jillian is a big advocate of HRMs as well).

Being that you are just starting out, you can really begin with minimal equipment. I would suggest a pair of 3 lb, 5 lb and 10 lb weights, Jump Stretch Flex Bands (these are great for working on your flexibility -- http://www.jumpstretch.com/Flexibility_Routine.htm) and a Swiss ball.

Assuming you have doctors clearence, your focus for now should be in High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). This form of training is killer at burning Calories not only during the workout, but post-workout as well. Normally people use bikes, treadmills or elliptical trainers for HIIT programs, but I like to use weights and some basic calisthenics.

A good starter routine (again, you should definitely clear this with your doctor!) may look something like this:

* 30 seconds of jumping jacks
* 10 overhead presses with 3 or 5 lb dumbbells (one dumbbell in each hand)
* 10 punchouts with 3 lb dumbbells (keep feet shoulder lenght apart, square off shoulders and punch forward one arm at a time)
* 10 overhead presses with 3 or 5 lb dumbbells
* Finish off with 4 minutes of stretching

If you purchase the Jump Stretch bands and/or Swiss Ball, let me know. I'd be happy to point you in the direction of some great excercises!

Good luck to you!!!!!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/166/139

Height: 5'6"

Wow, you all are awesome! Thanks for all the response!
I did get Jillians book and my husband and I are doing the program together. We've done week 1 for about 4 days now. I sometimes can only do 2 reps of everything but I know it will get better the more I do. I do think I had better get a heart rate monitor though because sometimes I just feel like I'm going to die when doing this,lol. Can anyone recomenda good but inexpensive one?
Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 AM   #10  

Polar - I think mine is an A5....it was like $50...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #11  

Hello! I saw she was a newbie and jumped in her thread (THANK you lilome!) DO we just jump in anywhere and post- I know that I am MUCH better if I write what I am doing and can stay accountable that way... Is the Exercise thread still used?? What is the best way to start posting? Start my own thread? I have no clue what I am doing...

THanks