Old 01-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Red face I have a question! TY for your opinions!

I am only doing Atkins for a month, because I don't know how long I can stick with it. I know I won't last longer than that on this one only because it's hard cutting that many carbs or fruit out of your life... However after the month is up I wonder if anyone knows a good diet I can go on?? Like just a healthy diet no low carb ones! Thanks!!
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #2  
Somethin's gotta give

Hi Rhysa...I pm'd you.
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #3  
New mom to be

I do weight watchers. The points system allows you to have some treats. You just have to spend the points for them. You can pretty much eat all the fruits and veggies you want. Most are 0-2 points per 1 cup. Plus you can earn extra points for exercising and you can bank points. You have a range, I have to use 24-29 points per day, no less. So if I had a party on Friday and I knew that I was going to want to eat something that costs a lot of points I could save some of my points in the beginning of the week. I could just use 27 points on Mon. thru Thurs. and save an extra 8 points for Friday. You can use up to 10 banked points in one day, and you should use your banked points the same week that you earned them. So you can still fit the foods you enjoy into your diet. It's not for everyone, but it is the only diet that I have ever stuck with. If you want any more info on it just PM me, and if you don't actually want to pay to join weight watchers and go to the meetings but want to follow the diet, I could give you some of the info. I, personally, did not join. My mother gave me all of her old books (she joined and quit and rejoined a couple of times so she has extras of everything).

Valentines goal:

1 jiggy for every 5lbs. lost!
sassybrat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

my first question, is why are you doing atkins for only a month? What made you choose it?

if your looking for a different diet that allows carbs, weight watchers is good, as is body for life.

I do atkins, because its about the only thing that works for me. Allowing carbs, especially fruit brings out the sugar monsters. You have to do what works for you, and what you can live with in the long run.

Good Luck to you
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #5  
Taaa Daaa!

I sorta do my own thing. I do low carb but not NO carb. I guess it would be a combo of atkins and south beach. I add in good carbs like brown rice, or a baked potato every once in a while. Or maybe some whole wheat pasta. I also add in things like bananas after a workout. I basically just eat healthier, with low carb in mind, but i also watch for calories, good fat/bad fat and cholesterol. I dont really count my carbs, unless its not from fruit or vegetables. I figure if I want to eat a high amount of veggie carbs, there is nothing wrong with that

I like the low carb thing because it keeps me from being so hungry, and I don't have a problem staying away from "white stuff" usually. Candy, cakes, sugar, I can pass up no problem, caffiene - not worried about, so it makes it easier for me compared to others I guess. I can live my life this way, not just use it for a minute and then pray for it to be over LOL. I think that's what you need to find, something that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

Anyways, I'm rambling now.... sorry
Tuuurtlemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
my first question, is why are you doing atkins for only a month? What made you choose it?
I wondered the same thing as Robin after reading your post. Atkins induction is not the entire plan. Induction lasts a min. of 14 days and it can go as long as 6 months (or more perhaps?) as you want it to. You are beyond the 14 days and could certainly move into OWL if you chose to.

Nowhere in Dr. A's book does it say you can never have fruit or a higher intake of carbs again. Low glycemic (sp?) value fruits are re-introduced back into your diet & by the time you hit Maintenance, there isn't a lot you can't have - as long as it's in moderation. As for carbs...some people can have 100g per day and they can maintain their weight. Some people can only take in 50 before they start gaining again. It's a very individual thing. I believe it was in The Zone (or Carb. Addicts??) that I read that people with A+ blood type don't metabolize carbs as well as people with other blood types do. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I know I have A+ blood and I my target zone is only about 50-70. My body simply does not process carbs very well & I gain easily when I consume much more than that.

Also, this is the 2nd time in a short period that I have read about No Carb diets. Now, I've read a lot of LC books (or tried to...Neanderthin was just waaaaaaay too boring for me to read LOL). I honestly don't believe there is such a thing as a No Carb Diet. That would mean your entire diet is based on protein & fat and that can't be healthy for anyone.

Anyhew...there are many diets out there. WW, BFL, Oprah's guy...what's his name...Bob Greene?, Jenny Craig, Dr. Phil, The Zone (which is about balance), South Beach (which the author states in the 1st few lines of the book, is not LC nor is it LF) and the list goes on & on LOL. You just have to decide what you want out of your weight loss program and do some reading.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

You have to choose something your gonna live with for life, not just a quick fix. Any plan you go on and then off your gonna gain weight back, trust me.

YoYo dieting isn't very healthy, try to choose one plan and make it work the best you can.... for you. But remember bottom line to any diet plan is calories. Eat healthy, drink water, exercise and you'll do good no matter what plan your on.

Hugs !!!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

My daughters teacher eats low carb. But it's created for HER life style. She still eats pasta...but she makes her own sauces and stuff like that. Has she lost weight? OH YEAH!! She's not in it for a quick fix...she's changing her eating habits to fit HER lifestyle. So to say you're going to do Atkins (or some other plan) for just a month until you find something else? Doesn't sound like it'll work out to me. Find a mix of things and make it work for you Good luck
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote