Sonoma Diet Recipes Recipes marked for each wave of the Sonoma Diet. Recipes fit in with whole food diets and the Mediterranean diet.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 PM   #1  
Cat Wrangler

Default Wave 2 -Crockpot Stiffado

I use my crockpot a lot because I work some long hours. I'm going through my recipes to see which ones are already Sonoma-ok and which ones can be easily modified. This is a good one! If I've accidentally left in anything that's a no-no, let me know.

Stiffado is a delicious Greek stew.

1-2 lbs lean beef or lamb, cut in cubes
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
2 large onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes (use fresh tomatoes if you prefer)
1/2 cup red wine
1/8 cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste or tomato puree
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon honey
salt and pepper
crumbled feta cheese, to serve (optional)
chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional)

4-6 servings

Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and brown the beef, transfer to the crockpot.

Heat the rest of the oil and on a medium heat brown the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.

Now add the rest of the ingredients, mix and warm through then transfer to the crockpot.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours until tender.

If desired, top with crumbled feta cheese and/or parsley. I like this served over brown rice.
terravita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #2  

I think the honey may be a problem, but I'll need to check with the book . What Wave is this for? let me know and I will edit the title to reflect that. *I checked when I got home. The honey is allowed in Wave 2.*
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #3  
Cat Wrangler

I don't have my book with me right now, but I think it's ok (without the honey) for Wave 2, and ok with the honey for Wave 3. The purpose of the honey is just to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, so it would be fine without it.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #4  
Cat Wrangler

Ok, I've checked the book now and confirmed that even with the honey, this is fine for Wave 2. It would work for Wave 1 without the honey and wine.

I also realized that my scales were off, so I hade to redo my ticker. :-(
Old 01-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #5  
Canada

I made this last night. Had my family over. They thought it was just OK. I think next time, I would add some Cayanne pepper to give it a kick. It sure did smell good while cooking! I thought it was great. It really felt good to be cooking like a gormet chef.. adding wine, and all the herbs. LOL
Totally Neck-ed is offline   Reply With Quote