South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #1  

Default hawwllpp!

I tried Atkins and did well but missed so many foods and felt so sloggish I quit. I think it did something to my heart. Now I've put all that weight back and probably 35 pounds plus. GOT to do something. Why is this diet so much harder to follow? I was used to using K-tone sticks and doing without sugar and fruit and counting carbs. Ive got the south beach book but I'm still confused and need help. Do you lose weight as swiftly as on Atkins? In desperate need of experience and support; I'm 5l and have asparagus to pick beginning in April, a daughter graduating this summer, a full-time night job besides an orchard, and a bedfast mother with Alzheimer's. Need I say more? Longer off a diet harder to get back on - husband and daughter are encouraging (finally) me in this decision.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome back! No you won't drop weight as fast as on Atkins but you will be healthier. Forget counting carbs and those ketostix!
Check out the responses to your first Beach post back in April and let us know what specifically is confusing. We're all here to help! It's good that your family is supportive. I can relate to having a bedfast relative!
Here's your April post.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #3  

I guess I can't get that Atkins mindset out of my head. Green beans are listed as OK - how much can I eat? If I already had 1/4 cup peanuts do I still get to eat veggies? See my problem; I've been brainwashed!!
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

You definitely CAN eat veggies and MUST! Please read the stickies in here and in the FAQ section and flush your brain! Milk and legumes are allowed and will be your lifesavers.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #5  

Thanks Ruth - I'm determined to make this work. I have to.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #6  

Hi and welcome to the forum.. there are some great stickies.. I wish you all the success you need
Old 01-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 2"

to the beach, Shawnee.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to the beach, Shawnee!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Veggies are your friend on this way of eating (woe). Eat lots of them-at least 4 1/2 cups a day.

A friend of mine did Atkins, now that she is on maintenance we eat about the same things except she'll eat more butter and fatty meats while I still stay with the lower fat meats.

Another friend who did well in the first part of Atkins and then switched to SBD says that it's harder becuase he liked the fact he could eat unlimited meat, fat and eggs and it's harder for him to eat the veggies and dairy on SBD.

Good luck,
Sarah
Old 01-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #10  

Concerning veggies; how much allowed on phase 1 and what type are we talking about? Can't eat/digest lettuce but can all else. Frozen green beans OK and how much? I can eat celery, cukes, green peppers. Also you stress dried type beans. How much allowed on ph. 1? Thank you thank you thank you for the very warm welcome. Any help with uncluttering my mind is greatly appreciated! I stongly feel I can do this diet and feel good about it (I didn't Atkins) with your support.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Please see the Phase I foodlist in the FAQ section for types of veggies. You should aim for about 4 1/2 cups per day. For legumes, use about 1/3 to 1/2 cup per day on Phase I. Remember to drink milk too.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #12  

Hi Shawnee!

Check out the following recommended guidelines. I copied it from a previous post.

How to Adapt Your Meal Plan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chart has helped me many times, when I get off track. I printed it up and keep it around as a guide:

Quote:
How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

DESSERT
Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy starches and carbohydrates into your diet, starting with low-glycemic index ones like oatmeal and couscous, and eventually moving on to high-glycemic ones like fruits and whole-grain bread. The goal is to eat healthy carbs while continuing to lose weight, so pay attention to how they affect you. If your weight loss stalls or cravings return, cut back or try some different carbs and monitor the results. Here's a look at general eating guidelines. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

LUNCH
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

By the time you reach Phase 3, you'll know which starches and carbs you can eat without gaining weight, so you'll have already integrated them into your diet. You'll be eating normal foods in normal-size portions, sticking to the good carbs and good fats. There's no list of forbidden foods in Phase 3, however. In other words, if you want it, and it doesn't undo all your sacrifices, you should go ahead and enjoy it! Here's a look at general eating guidelines.

If you'd like to adapt some of your meals to exclude meat, simply choose protein sources such as beans, soy products, lower fat cheese, eggs and egg substitutes, and eat vegetables and nuts for snacks. You can also choose to receive vegetarian-only meal plans, complete with shopping lists, by selecting "vegetarian" in the Profile area.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 3 fruit servings allowed daily.
Starch: 3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES

Maybe this will help!

Joanne
Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM   #13  

OK I got it - I can eat veggies in abundance compared to Atkins! I missed them so much before; thanks again all!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #14  

Shawnee We're all rootin fer ya darlin' and you came to the right place for support and info!
Closed Thread