Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #1  

Smile Always Tired

Can anyone tell me if there is a food I can eat to give me more energy? I have tried vitamins but they don't seem to work. Or maybe I just stop taking them too soon. I would very much like to dance around like this carrot
Any advice would be appreciated
I believe I am eating a good variety of healthys choices. I use w.w. as a guide. I know the system and I know it has worked for me before. I will certainly try a few of your suggestions. (don't knock it until you try it right) Thanks for all your input !! Much appreciated.

Last edited by greengirl; 01-03-2006 at 09:42 PM.
greengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #2  

Were you tired before you started trying to lose weight? Or did this occur after you started dieting?

If you were tired before you started dieting, any number of things could cause it, including: thyroid or other hormonal issues, sleep disorders, iron deficiency, B-vitamin deficiency, etc. If you were tired before, I would highly recommend seeing a doctor. Fatigue can be a sign of a medical issue and you'd want to have it checked out.

If it started AFTER you began dieting, it could be you are not getting enough calories for your activity level. If you are following a low- or no-carbohydrate plan, that could be the cause -- our bodies need carbohydrates for ready energy. Of course, any of the other issues mentioned above could be the cause, as well.

Also, LACK of exercise makes you tired. It's hard to get started when you are tired, but if it's just a lack of movement, you'll start feeling perkier after you stick with it for a while.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #3  

Well, I'm no expert or anything, but I've read that foods with high amounts of sugar can actually make you tired and that basically any white food (ie, regular potatoes, white bread, cakes, bagels) can raise your glycemic index and sap your energy. Also, some medical problems, like I have (like hypothyroidism) can make you tired all the time if not treated. If you have asthma or allergies and don't sleep well at night or enter continous deep sleep that could do it. There are alot of things that can do it.
violethaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #4  
here I go again...

Ok, this isn't official medical advice, but I take ginseng before I work out. I've found that I can workout longer/harder if I take it about 30 minutes before... I know that some people take it for energy daily, so it could be worth a try?
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #5  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Hi greengirl--you might need to share a little more info for us to offer anything beyond the super generic insights. How long have you been dieting? What kind of diet? (like cals, WW, etc.) What sort of exercise are you doing? If not your actual weight, maybe how many pounds from goal you are to give us an idea?

I know that between reducing calories and adding exercise I went from needing 8 hours of sleep to needing more in the 9-10 hour range to feel rested--just my body adjusting. Also, I have recently been upping my exercise routines and I found that I was REALLY REALLY flat so I backed off a bit and I make sure that I have two adjacent rest days (plus one other) during each week. I usually feel my MOST rested after having the two adjacent rest days--my body has caught up with it's training effect.

If you're eating too few calories, that could cause that sluggish feeling too. Oh yeah, so did you start feeling this way when you began dieting? or you've felt this way for how long..??

Yeah...questions, questions. But! There are lots of ladies here with lots of experiences so the more you can share, the better the info We want you to dance circles around that carrot!
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:47 AM   #6  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

How much protein are you getting each day? Lack of protein + too many carbs makes me EXHAUSTED.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #7  
Whip It Good

There are MANY causes of fatigue. It would be helpful for us to know a little more history. As mentioned: When did this start? Is it every day? Is it specific to any time of day?

I struggled with fatigue for a long time. There was no medical reason to be found - believe me - I had every test under the sun and aside from a positive ANA (which indicates an autoimmune problem but not which one) I am as healthy as a horse. In order to help myself I added a B-complex vitamin to my multi vitamin. This helped but only minimally. I then researched more and added magnesium (which is almost always buddied up with calcium). This really helped me. But I was still only feeling about 75% right - I went to my chiropractor once a week (let's not debate chiropractic - okay? If you don't like it or you don't approve that is fine. I am only sharing what worked for me) and I started Tai Chi. I want to tell you - I can think of NOTHING more beneficial to me than Tai Chi. What was good about that (I use past tense becuase I have moved and have yet to find an adequate school) was that I really did get a work out (I know it looks easy - but I assure you - you will work hard - any time you slow a motion down your muscles are forced to work harded to fight the resistance of gravity) and it felt very soothig to me mentally - a BIG plus when one works in the moving industry - which is a real hair-raiser. Prior to TaiChi - EVERY exercise I did completely floored me.Walking, cycling, low impact aerobics, pilates, EVERYTHING - I felt like I seriously could not move for about two hours afterward - it was very troubling.

So - my recomendation to you is to share more about your story... maybe someone here will say HEY! That sounds like me and here is what I did that helped me...

Hang in there. Fatigue is very frustrating. I totally get that.
DaisyBug08004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the others that you need to say more. I also agree that certain kinds of foods seem to help me. I used to have a dip in my energy just about everyday in the late pm (4-7ish). I thought it was part of my "biorhythm" but think now that it was low blood sugar, or something related to the type of food I was eating (e.g., fritos and candy). Now that my afternoon snacks are yogurt, fruit, or something with fiber and protein, I am much less likely to come home and fall asleep on the couch.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #9  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

just to add another aspect as well, you may have a sleeping disorder, when we have more weight n our bodies it makes us susceptible to sleep apnea, if you snore or always feel tired even after sleeping 8 hours it is a possibility
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Kate on this one. If I eat too many carbs I boogie for a short bit and then nose dive! I try really hard to have protein every couple of hours. That way I stay more level energy-wise.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #11  
Your Royal FATNESS

Read into the Glycemic INdex.. I read it im staring to live it now , its all about the Carbs you eat.. not how much you eat...and it is said in that book several times that Carbs with Higher Glycemic Index will boost your energy Quick ,but soon after you become tired...
damejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:44 PM   #12  
LLV

We don't know her stats, though. We don't know how much she weighs, what she eats, etc.

When I was heavy I was tired ALL the time. I had to lay down and take a nap just about every day and I'd wake up feeling worse than I did before I laid down. Now that I've lost all this weight, I'm not tired anymore. Plus I'm sure changing my diet has helped.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #13  

How well do you sleep at night? Do you wake up during the night? I have a similar problem with being tired. I spoke to my doctor about it and she had me go to a sleep clinic. Come to find out I have sleep apnea. They told me that it is not always caused by your weight. Even people who weigh 100 lbs can have it. The way your nasal passages and airway is constructed can also be responsible. I will end up having to sleep with a machine or have surgery. This may not be your situation. I just wanted to mention it.

Val
val40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Sleep issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safiyah_is_Fluffy
just to add another aspect as well, you may have a sleeping disorder, when we have more weight n our bodies it makes us susceptible to sleep apnea, if you snore or always feel tired even after sleeping 8 hours it is a possibility
I went from a sleep problem (couldn't sleep) and was tired all the time until I found out I have Bipolar Disorder. Not saying anybody does, just ironic that was one of the questions prompted.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #15  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Default I know!

Hmmmm...this is getting to be a guessing game--Greengirl, where are you? Shoot, at this point, for all we know she could have been bitten by a vampire and she's tired 'cause she's running a little low on hemoglobin right now!
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote