Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  

Question Question about total fat, carbs, etc.

Hi all,

I have a question about fat gram, carbs, etc: How much of each do you aim not to go over?

I'm debating trying WW - have previously tried low carb with some success.

I'm using the food journal at fitday.com and am wondering how much of these I should consume each day. How much is too much?

Right now, I'm aiming for 1200-1500 calories a day.

I don't use too many low fat foods (except for low fat sour cream, etc.). I don't like the taste of them, especially diet soda.

I really need to train myself to make healthier choices. I'm from the South, so I didn't grow up making the best choices with food and how they are cooked. I know I need to be more familiar with food and what they contain.

Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
TammyO
Old 01-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #2  

Now this is my own personal oppinion, however, if your going to do WW I would not suggest you use fitday. It is way to confusing. You could join the weight watchers web site and there is a ton of tools in there that are awesome! I can't live without them! With WW you don't really watch carbs, fat, whatever. You just eat healthy choices. You eat so many points per day. It is worth checking out. I have done low carb and other plans with little success, and ending up with some health issues because of it. WW is a healthy choice. You should join a meeting or get on there website. They have some wonderful programs. Online is cheaper. But different people like meetings and others like the online world. It is worth it either way.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:04 PM   #3  
banned

ww is great!
thats why they boil is dn to 1 number....
Old 01-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #4  

Thanks for the feedback!

If I do decide to join WW, it would be online. I just don't think the meeting thing would motivate me plus finding the time to actually go!

The one thing I do like about the fitday site is that it forces me to look at what I'm eating. I've only dieted one time in my life (when I did the low carb way - "carbohydrate addicts" is the plan I was doing). I like to eat, but I don't eat that much - I make all the wrong choices. It's a shock to see how much those 2 tablespoons of sugar contain in calories and carbs that I use in my coffee every day. I just want to be smarter about the food I eat.

I don't want to deprive myself either - thats what I like about WW. Nothing is off limits is it? I like the low carb way because I'm a meat and cheese lover - but....I love those mashed potatoes and mac and cheese too!

And Tracy - a big CONGRATS on stopping smoking. That's my next thing that I need to and want to do. Been smoking since I was 15 and am now 41. God - that's scarry to read that!!!! I have a scrip from my doc for patches. I'm really nervous about doing it though. I thought I would try and get on track with my eating first - what do you think? How did you do it?

Thanks again for all your help!
TammyO.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #5  

Tammy,

Hi again. I used to do Atkins and the South Beach diet plans. So I know exactly what you mean. With WW you are not restricting any food group! However, if you go on the WW Core plan... you have to watch your food groups. I have not done Core so I can't comment much on it.

With WW's online tools I think you will find yourself making healthier choice. Like you mentioned about liking fitday because of. The reason I say this is because when you make not so healthy choices it really eats up your daily points! Then you end up hungry and out of points to eat on. This does take some time to get use to! So if and when you do start give it time to sink in. You will most likely go over your points the first few days.

WW's web site also has there own message boards. I have been in there more so then anywhere lately. (My email buddies see this because I haven't done emails lately either lol.) It has been so totally motivating!! I have lost 1.2 pounds last week and I can't wait to weigh in again this week.. Thursday morning.

Thanks about the quitting smoking! I admit it was NOT easy! But it had to be done. I did gain weight... but it is worth it. My mom was diagnosed with lung cancer just before I quit. That is what made me quit. I have tried to quit before using gum, patches, pills, you name it... no success. This time I used the patch for one week and a pill from the doc for like 2 weeks and that was it! It was basically will power. I also smoked for many, many years! I started at roughly 12... and I am going to be 33. It was not easy... but smoking is ucky now! You won't believe how horrible the smell is until you quit! It burns my nose. I can't handle being around it now.

Check out WW's site. I believe there is a tour for free for online too. Check it out. I think you might like it.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #6  

I checked out the WW website. My good friend at work is trying it for the 2nd time. She had a not so nice meeting with the lab tech and the one of the drs where I work - her blood sugar was sky high one day, and then the next, and the next... Maybe she will let me "lurk" over her shoulder for a few days with the website. I'm also intrigued by the 3 hour diet. Maybe that would help with the energy thing. Meeting with my Endo. Dr. tomorrow (hypothyroidism). She told me my metablosim is very sluggish and that it would probably take me 3 years (possibly) to lose 50 lbs. - not what I wanted to hear last time. Oh well....I do know that I'm not insulin resistant though - so that was good news. Thanks again and good luck to you all. It's not easy by no means
Old 01-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #7  

Your most welcome. I checked out the 3 Hour diet too. My doc still told me to do WW. I have been recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I have to eat every so often or I will not feel well. Which is what happens almost on a daily basis because I am never hungry so I forget to eat. Do watch over your friends shoulder. I really think WW would be good for you.
Closed Thread