Old 12-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #1  

Red face Good aerobic DVD for seriously out of shape person?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a low-impact aerobic video that would be good for me. I used to be very fit, but after several years of health issues, I weigh 285 lbs and have a fitness level in the minus range. I'm looking for a DVD that is fun (my 18 month old will be 'exercising' with me ), but that won't kill me within 5 minutes of the opening credits. No toning or fancy stuff for now, just something to burn some calories and get me moving, no matter how silly it is! Any ideas?
foreverjaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/226/150

Height: 5'2''

I found the Richard Simmons ones to be the best. They are low impact, good for larger persons...like myself and get you moving in a VERY fun way. I just overlook the fact that he is Richard Simmons and concentrate on the benefits I am getting from exercising.
campinbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:23 PM   #3  

You might also try Leslie Sansone or George Foreman.
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:38 AM   #4  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

I agree with the above posted about Leslie Sansone, her "Walk Away the Pounds" series is very good.. I love them.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #5  

I give another thumbs up for the Leslie Sansone DVDs.
honey-dipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:49 PM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I looked and could only find it on VHS, but "Big On Fitness" is a pretty good, very low impact aerobic tape. It is made by a plus size woman and is targeted to larger women. If you can get over the dated outfits and the mediocre music, it is good.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:46 AM   #7  

ok, this may sound stupid, but you might want to consider adding this to your repertoire (seeing as you have an 18 month old...)

elmo.

yep, elmo makes two exercise videos for kids. one is called "elmocize" or something to that effect, and the other is "happy, healthy monsters". something like that would probably get you moving (albeit in a silly way), but also allow you to get it done with a child that probably doesn't have much of an attention span for watching adults dancing around. there are some other "made for kids" exercise videos, too. you could look into it, at least for the days that you will be exercising with your child. if your fitness level is really in the minus area, any type of movement would be good for you. and besides getting you to move, it would help your child grow up with healthy habits! i usually do my exercising at night, after my 16 month old daughter goes to bed, but we have both the elmo videos and she sometimes picks them out and we do them together. gets some exercise in while giving me some good play time/interaction with my daughter. its actually my favorite form of exercise... watching that cute little diaper butt imitating elmo... hee hee!!!

good luck to you!!!

Last edited by shaley; 01-01-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: i can't spell this morning!!!
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #8  

oh yeah... and at night, i alternate between leslie sansone, billy blanks and the firm. i use leslie sansone a LOT more frequently than the others. its choreography is nice and simple, so i don't fall on my face or get so frustrated that i turn it off. plus, she's very chipper and cheery... almost a little too saccharin, but hey... right now i find it to be helpful. maybe once i get a little more fit, it will be annoying, but right now i need all the encouragement i can get. plus, the one i use has this neat little counter... she tells you when you've hit half a mile, a mile, etc. i don't know if all of her videos have it, but it makes it easier for me to feel like i actually accomplished something and to gauge how much longer i have to go - i personally like that. and did i mention the simple choreography? LOL... important to me, because i swear i have two left feet. and i can actually do her whole video without messing up, tripping, stumbling or getting frustrated and giving up! yay!

Last edited by shaley; 01-01-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: i give up. my spelling stinks today. sorry!
shaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #9  

Oh I never even thought about Elmo etc.! My son loves Elmo. I'll definitely check that out this week. I had a VHS copy of Dancin' to the Oldies (Richard SImmons), but can't find it on DVD anywhere. I have a couple of his newer ones, but they don't look as user-friendly as DTTO. I'll look for WATP too. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be too fat to exercise ~sigh~...
foreverjaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #10  

Check Ebay for Richard's stuff. He also has a workout called Sit Tight for those who have difficulty standing on their feet for an entire workout. I am told it is a very good workout even so and will really get you sweating! Another one he has is called Platinum Sweat; it's really aimed at seniors, but it is slower paced than his others. Both these workouts can be found in stores or you can get them on his website. Just do a search on him and you'll find him!
PS -- I'll bet your little one would LOVE Richard!!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote